July 24, 2014, 06:57:50 AM

Author Topic: 5diii macro problem?  (Read 2012 times)

noxious_nasties

5diii macro problem?
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:14:26 AM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first official dslr camera, but I have used a 550d and 600d quite often. Macro is my style and I seem to be getting very very annoying dots (like light sensor shapes perhaps?) occuring on my images. I was taking this picture for an advertisement when I started noticing it.

The pics are jpegs and taken with canons 100mm macro 2.8L

First picture is from the 5diii, second is from an online sight to show a comparison and observe what I'm talking about. You are looking particularly at the pink creature, which in the first picture will show very fine dots that scatter across the image. This is not present and is coming from something... I really hope this won't affect all macro photos. Also the problem has occured multiple times and is not a one off. I am yet to report it to canon.

My Image

Here is some crops close up

Online Image

Any thoughts on the situation would be great. I've also attached the original jpeg.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:27:14 AM by noxious_nasties »

canon rumors FORUM

5diii macro problem?
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:14:26 AM »

rmhowie

Re: 5diii Potential bug/glitch affecting macro photo's?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:09:40 AM »
I think the pattern is from the printing process used to make the card. It looks like the same printing pattern you can see in magazines. Moire could cause the pattern in your image to be courser than the one on the card, but I think the pattern in your image is what the card actually looks like.

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »
Hi everyone,

This is my first official dslr camera, but I have used a 550d and 600d quite often. Macro is my style and I seem to be getting very very annoying dots (like light sensor shapes perhaps?) occuring on my images. I was taking this picture for an advertisement when I started noticing it.

The pics are jpegs and taken with canons 100mm macro 2.8L

First picture is from the 5diii, second is from an online sight to show a comparison and observe what I'm talking about. You are looking particularly at the pink creature, which in the first picture will show very fine dots that scatter across the image. This is not present and is coming from something... I really hope this won't affect all macro photos. Also the problem has occured multiple times and is not a one off. I am yet to report it to canon.

My Image

Here is some crops close up

Online Image

Any thoughts on the situation would be great. I've also attached the original jpeg.

Could it be some form of anti counterfeiting measure?

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:52:28 AM »
Yup, that's just the printing process.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
Here's an example from a photoshoot that I'm currently working on.

edit: Forgot to mention - The pattern is clearly visible under a magnifying glass.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:08:15 AM by DavidRiesenberg »

Alker

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:05:22 AM »
Please change the header !!!!

Potential BUG !!!
Sure

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
I think the pattern is from the printing process used to make the card. It looks like the same printing pattern you can see in magazines. Moire could cause the pattern in your image to be courser than the one on the card, but I think the pattern in your image is what the card actually looks like.

That's exactly it. Take a loupe to the card and you'll see for yourself.

I think Photoshop has a de-screening filter, but don't quote me on that.

Also, unless that card is the size of a postage stamp, you're not really doing macro photography, just close focus. True macro begins when the image projected on the sensor is the same size as the actual scene.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »
Here's an example that illustrates the phenomenon. Taken with a MPE 65 at x5 (handheld, so excuse the bad focus :) )

victorwol

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 5diii macro problem?
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »
It's normal, google offset printing method. It's how rotary printers work. No bug, no issues. Check on a newspaper that's printed in color, will look the same only dots may be bigger. When looking at a photo of something like that not at 100% on a computer screen will have moire unless you run a descreen filter in Photoshop or Lightrom.
1D X - 5D MKIII - 7D - 24 f1.4L - 8-15 L - 50 1.2L - 85 1.2L - 15 2.8 - 16-35 2.8L - 24-105 4.0L - 70-200 2.8 LII - 24 TSE - 45 TSE - 90 TSE - MPE 65 - 180 f3.5L - 100 2.8L II - 580EX and a few Einsteins.

Astro

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
there is absolutly nothing wrong here beside the lack of knowledge. ;)
no offense!  ;)

http://www.descreen.net/eng/help/descreen/home/main.htm
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 10:19:59 AM by Astro »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »