September 23, 2014, 08:37:05 PM

Author Topic: Canon Mirrorless Information? [CR1]  (Read 13671 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon Mirrorless Information? [CR1]
« on: May 05, 2012, 08:03:45 AM »
It’s been a while
Talk of a Canon mirrorless system has been pretty quiet the last few months, though there is a general assumption we’ll see one announced sometime in 2012.

The latest bits of information that has floated my way are below.

• Two Cameras
  • G1 X Sensor Size
  • APS-C a possibility in one camera
  • 14 & 24 megapixels
  • EF compatibility, but not EF mount.
  • EVF on one camera
  • 3-5 Lenses announced at launch.

I suspect specifications for the new cameras have yet to be finalized and this sort of information will evolve over time.

cr

« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 08:49:28 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon Mirrorless Information? [CR1]
« on: May 05, 2012, 08:03:45 AM »

Astro

Re: Canon Mirrorless Information? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:10:59 AM »
■EF compatibility, but not EF mount.

i understand it the way that an adapter is needed?!

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
■EF compatibility, but not EF mount.

Like the nikon mirrorless system how it needs an adapter to attach nikor lenses maybe?
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 09:17:48 AM »
Come on Canon, go full frame or don't bother.  One major camera company should help the serious amateur masses adapt to digital just about any vintage 35mm lens ever made in the native as designed 35mm capture format.  We already have a sea of near beer EVIL mirrorless bodies that bring old lenses to digital but only in 1.5x and 2x crop formats. 

I know I won't get what I wish for, Canon will of course go for mass sales of mini-pretend DSLRs in a form factor closer to a point and shoot, department store buyers want to play the lens swap game.

Bitter.  I'm going to have to reignite the efilm idea from the late 90's

The actual real try at it in 1999 ( http://cultureandcommunication.org/deadmedia/index.php/Silicon_Film )
and the fake one that was an art/marketing project    (http://re35.net/index.html)

EdMika Camera Company has a longer term goal now.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:21:26 AM »
a 24MP APS-C mirrorless that has EF compatibility will be totally bad ass especially if its a compact body that could be nice to carry as a lightweight backup for travel and also for extending the range for long shots, that is if the AF is up to scratch
I wonder what AF system they are looking at putting in it
APS-H Fanboy

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:42:43 AM »
I need a camera ...

- which shoots movies
- which is smaller than a DSLR but has similar image quality
- which accepts EF lenses and e.g. FD lenses

I want to try out video with a flexible system (focal lengths, macro, thin DOF, manual control) and think about buying a 600D but ... it just fulfills the first criterion.

I don't want to collect to much single purpose systems and much more I don't like to carry them around! Please, Canon, introduce some mirrorless with usable video capabilities soon!

Using an adaptor to couble EF lenses is o.k.: Makes the mirrorless cam flatter with dedicated lenses (I need only one: a compact 40mm equiv lens with close up capability!).
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »
EF compatibility, but not EF mount.

Yes. There would be no point making an EF mount mirrorless, the whole point of going mirrorless is so that you can mount the lens closer to the sensor for a smaller package. This requires a new mount. An adapter would be needed. This would probably provide electrical coupling (so aperture control and AF would work) though it remains to be seen if AF would work well.

For existing mirrorless, Sony mirrorless (E-mount) cameras can AF with Sony DSLR (A-mount) lenses, and the same is true for 4/3 lenses on micro 4/3 cameras, but AF with the adapted lens generally does not work nearly as well as on the DSLR (on mirrorless the lenses use contrast AF but the lenses are designed to work with phase detect AF)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 09:45:36 AM »

dougkerr

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • The Pumpkin
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
Hi, Ontarian,

Come on Canon, go full frame or don't bother.
I'm not sure I understand the premise that 24 mm x 36 mm is automatically the ideal format for a new genre of serious "general purpose" digital cameras.

In the late 1930's, we were introduced to the concept that cameras with a format size smaller than, for example, 2-1/4" x 3-1/4" could do serious photography. Thus we came to embrace (suspiciously at first) the 24 mm x 36 mm format. This created an entire world of "miniature" photography.

Now, 75  years later, with a wholly different paradigm of imaging, and an enormous history of development and a repertoire of powerful technical tools at our disposal, this very same format size is somehow still held to be "the real thing".

I myself would like to see the power of our tools deployed to make the next generation of "general purpose serious digital cameras" (body and lenses) a bit smaller and lighter than dictated by arbitrary adherence to the 24 mm x 36 mm format.

Best regards,

Doug

Leadfingers

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 10:04:45 AM »
EF compatibility, but not EF mount.

Yes. There would be no point making an EF mount mirrorless, the whole point of going mirrorless is so that you can mount the lens closer to the sensor for a smaller package.

I disagree entirely.

To me, the whole point of going mirrorless is to begin to transistion away from some of the physical limitations and liabilities the the current cameras have.  Current cameras still operate too much old film cameras in my opinion...
~ I look around me.  I describe what I see.
~~ Daria

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 10:08:35 AM »
I'm purely looking at it from the perspective of being able to take advantage of the short flange focal distance to adapt any vintage lenses work in digital using the original capture area.

Hi, Ontarian,

Come on Canon, go full frame or don't bother.
I'm not sure I understand the premise that 24 mm x 36 mm is automatically the ideal format for a new genre of serious "general purpose" digital cameras.

In the late 1930's, we were introduced to the concept that cameras with a format size smaller than, for example, 2-1/4" x 3-1/4" could do serious photography. Thus we came to embrace (suspiciously at first) the 24 mm x 36 mm format. This created an entire world of "miniature" photography.

Now, 75  years later, with a wholly different paradigm of imaging, and an enormous history of development and a repertoire of powerful technical tools at our disposal, this very same format size is somehow still held to be "the real thing".

I myself would like to see the power of our tools deployed to make the next generation of "general purpose serious digital cameras" (body and lenses) a bit smaller and lighter than dictated by arbitrary adherence to the 24 mm x 36 mm format.

Best regards,

Doug

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:19:28 AM »
I need a camera ...

- which shoots movies
- which is smaller than a DSLR but has similar image quality
- which accepts EF lenses and e.g. FD lenses

I want to try out video with a flexible system (focal lengths, macro, thin DOF, manual control) and think about buying a 600D but ... it just fulfills the first criterion.

I don't want to collect to much single purpose systems and much more I don't like to carry them around! Please, Canon, introduce some mirrorless with usable video capabilities soon!

Using an adaptor to couble EF lenses is o.k.: Makes the mirrorless cam flatter with dedicated lenses (I need only one: a compact 40mm equiv lens with close up capability!).

Have you looked into Micro 4/3 (for example, Panasonic G3 or GH2) with the 20mm f/1.7 ?  It will adapt just about any lens, including your EF lenses. They also work very well with FD lenses. The 20mm f/1.7 has a 20cm minimum focus distance -- not a true macro but pretty close for a non macro.

The problem with waiting around for Canon is that not only does no-one know when they will deliver, no-one really knows what they will deliver either. For example, what kind of native lenses will their new mount have ? The systems with better lineups still had some gaping holes (Fuji, Micro 4/3), others simply had awful lineups to begin with (Nikon, Sony).

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
I disagree entirely.

To me, the whole point of going mirrorless is to begin to transistion away from some of the physical limitations and liabilities the the current cameras have.  Current cameras still operate too much old film cameras in my opinion...

In live view mode, modern DSLRs function as a mirrorless camera. The DSLR may come with extra "baggage", but it does have all the functionality of a mirrorless system.

So the transition from DSLR to mirrorless is all about removing baggage, and part of that baggage is lens mount systems that leave space between the mount and the sensor for a mirror.

Abraxx

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
I hope the AF is better than on the G1 X (which sucks...), I didn't like it.

I would use such a Cam for extended reach and quick moving subjects.
An EF & EF-S adapter would certainly be a must for a successful, late introduction to the developed market.

It has to compete against a Nikon 1 (horrible grip & control, but rest is great) and the rocketing market of 4/3 (...OM-D E-M5 is promising...),
Canon is last to the mirror-less market, so it better be reeeeally good, otherwise...  ???

My expectations are higher, higher even than for the Canon "53"  ::)
'Photographers are the eyes of the world'
Focus on Landscape/Nature, Architecture, Technology, Wildlife, Street

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:48:58 AM »
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/canon-mirrorless-information-cr1/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/canon-mirrorless-information-cr1/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/canon-mirrorless-information-cr1/"></a></div>
<strong>It’s been a while<br />

</strong>Talk of a Canon mirrorless system has been pretty quiet the last few months, though there is a general assumption we’ll see one announced sometime in 2012.</p>
<p>The latest bits of information that has floated my way are below.</p>
<ul>
<li>Two Cameras</li>
<li>G1 X Sensor Size</li>
<li>APS-C a possibility in one camera</li>
<li>14 & 24 megapixels</li>
<li>EF compatibility, but not EF mount.</li>
<li>EVF on one camera</li>
<li>3-5 Lenses announced at launch.</li>
</ul>
<p>I suspect specifications for the new cameras have yet to be finalized and this sort of information will evolve over time.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

This does seem to tie in pretty well with what we know or have seen rumoured already to me. The G1X sensor being reused on a lower end body and then the rumoured new 24 MP sensor in a higher end body with EVF.

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
Canon won't be able to arouse any of my interest in their products until they fix their low ISO dynamic range.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »