October 22, 2014, 12:24:22 PM

Author Topic: Canon Mirrorless Information? [CR1]  (Read 13905 times)

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Mirrorless Information? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »
Damnit Canon, you better give us the full frame mirrorless we are all craving for.

I'm so not interested in the lackluster DOF and ISO capabilities of the APS-C sensors.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:53:20 AM by Ricku »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 11:51:48 AM »

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 01:48:48 PM »

For existing mirrorless, Sony mirrorless (E-mount) cameras can AF with Sony DSLR (A-mount) lenses ...

Sony makes two adapters. One is just a mechanical adapter and uses the camera's autofocus. The second one has a built-in SLT autofocus system and the focus is as fast as their DSLR.

Nikon has the phase detect sensors built into the chip, so it can focus as fast as a DSLR.

Hopefully Canon can do something like the Nikon solution, for fast auto focus with either EF or the native mirrorless lenses.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
Come on Canon, go full frame or don't bother.

+24.36
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
Canon patented a adapter for EF to a new mount small lens last year.  It includes autofocus capability.  I'd expect to see a adapter using that patent.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/03/first-canon-mirrorless-related-patent/

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=734.0

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »
Canon's 3 to 5 lenses will include 18-55mm, 18-85mm, 18-200mm, 18-400mm and 18-600mm variable aperture zoomz  ;)  ;)  ;) And No Primes Ever  :(  :(  :(

BTW this is SARCASM. But I fear it is close to the truth when it come to primes.

Caps18

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 03:30:39 PM »
It means nothing to me if I can't use my EF lenses.

I can see where going smaller would be better, but if I am carrying my big lenses around, I'm not going to see much benefit over my 5Dm2.  It's not like I would take this mirrorless camera over the 5Dm2 traveling or anything.

I would rather have a G1x as a backup camera to get into events and such that restrict DSLRs is the only reason.
5D mark 2, 16-35mm f/2.8, 17mm TS-E f/4, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4 + 1.4x, 580 EX Flash

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »
Canon won't be able to arouse any of my interest in their products until they fix their low ISO dynamic range.

Yet you've posted 126 times in this forum. I'd say you're already interested!

To those asking for FF, it's a niche product due to the cost of the sensor (and possibly also the cost of making the lenses compared to those for smaller cameras).  It'll likely happen, but perhaps when the product and technology have been proved such that they can make a profit on what will be a high cost, relatively low volume model.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »

Nostrada

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2012, 03:51:02 PM »
Canon won't be able to arouse any of my interest in their products until they fix their low ISO dynamic range.

Yes, because that was always such a big issue and no-one ever bought any Canon camera due to their low ISO dynamic range being completely inadequate. I mean, rumor has it that once, in Tibet (or was it San Francisco?), there was a philosopher who preached that it was all about the man taking the photo, not the equipment, and also devised a system for exposing a photo based on a 10EV system that would work for pretty much everything but, while the man achieved a relative degree of success, his theories were dismissed and proved to be inaccurate by the highly-trained interned trolls.

Last but not least, from what I heard, Nikon can't get any customers for the D800 since medium format cameras, costing only 20 times as much, have greater DR at the same low ISO - and everybody knows that you only need to shoot at low ISO's, and no one ever complained that the image quality at higher ISO is inadequate, since no one ever shoots at higher ISOs.

In conclusion, I whole-heartedly agree with your perspective.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »
I still want it to be FF, good size (not pocketable) + good grip (with a BIG battery in it) + all the necessary wheels and buttons + vari-angle LCD.   Am I crazy? :-\
Perhaps there is a better chance to see something like that from Sony ... NEX-9 ? :)
FF + primes !

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »
I still want it to be FF, good size (not pocketable) + good grip (with a BIG battery in it) + all the necessary wheels and buttons + vari-angle LCD.   Am I crazy? :-\
Perhaps there is a better chance to see something like that from Sony ... NEX-9 ? :)

A full frame NEX-9 would have my dollar the minute it started shipping.

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »

Yes, but I must warn you, it may be 36mp, just like D800. :P Is there mRAW/sRAW feature in NEX cameras?
FF + primes !

ontarian

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »

Yes, but I must warn you, it may be 36mp, just like D800. :P Is there mRAW/sRAW feature in NEX cameras?

Not that I'm aware of, I'm happy to shoot jpg most of the time though, I'm a quantity shooter.

Woody

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »
Last but not least, from what I heard, Nikon can't get any customers for the D800 since medium format cameras, costing only 20 times as much, have greater DR at the same low ISO - and everybody knows that you only need to shoot at low ISO's, and no one ever complained that the image quality at higher ISO is inadequate, since no one ever shoots at higher ISOs.

Except the D800 captures greater low ISO dynamic range AND offers much better high ISO performance than medium format cameras.  ;D

The D7000 also leaves any Canon APS-C camera in the dust as far as sensor performance is concerned.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »

Neeneko

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
To those asking for FF, it's a niche product due to the cost of the sensor (and possibly also the cost of making the lenses compared to those for smaller cameras).  It'll likely happen, but perhaps when the product and technology have been proved such that they can make a profit on what will be a high cost, relatively low volume model.

This is why, ideally, they would produce a range of mirrorless cameras all at the same time, showing that they can support a new system from the low end up through high end.

Sure FF is a niche, but it is a growing one, and it is one that the mirrorless cameras have not really touched yet.  Canon could really make themselves stand out and get a head start on what will probably be a significant niche long term.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »
■EF compatibility, but not EF mount.

i understand it the way that an adapter is needed?!

In this sense, "EF compatibility" means that the signalling between the camera and lens will be "EF", just that the bayonet used to attach the lens to the camera will not. In this way all of the current EF lenses (including 3rd party ones) should "just work".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2012, 07:21:45 PM »