December 19, 2014, 10:27:53 AM

Author Topic: Nikon owns Canon - in TV commercials  (Read 8848 times)

!Xabbu

Nikon owns Canon - in TV commercials
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »
So, I wanted to start one of these as well  ;)

I feel like Nikon is way superior in their advertising to Canon - just watch this i am part of the World

I see Nikon commercials at least once a week, but don't see a single Canon commercial. I love the Nikon jingle. Still Canon sells more cameras - seems almost like it's proof that Canon owns Nikon on the quality side...   ;)

canon rumors FORUM

Nikon owns Canon - in TV commercials
« on: May 05, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon owns Canon - in TV commercials
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
Love that , thanks :)

Tcapp

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »
So, I wanted to start one of these as well  ;)

I feel like Nikon is way superior in their advertising to Canon - just watch this i am part of the World

I see Nikon commercials at least once a week, but don't see a single Canon commercial. I love the Nikon jingle. Still Canon sells more cameras - seems almost like it's proof that Canon owns Nikon on the quality side...   ;)

The part when he runs toward the tornado should be changed to: "I am- Stupid."
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 05:04:11 PM »
It's funny Canon doesn't need commercials of people doing stupid things to sell its cameras. Nikon must be desperate.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 05:47:06 PM »
Have no problem with Nikon at all but I can't stand this "I-am" stuff..  reminds me of the level of knock knock jokes...
2 min is too long and dull... and the guy running into the tornado rather says.. "Had enough.. I am going to kill myself...."

1982chris911

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • View my Flickr Stream here
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 05:52:00 PM »
Have no problem with Nikon at all but I can't stand this "I-am" stuff..  reminds me of the level of knock knock jokes...
2 min is too long and dull... and the guy running into the tornado rather says.. "Had enough.. I am going to kill myself...."

Well a friend of mine had a sensor issue with his new D4 (many many hot pixels) ... So redid the Nikon slogan to "I am expensive to repair" ... nuff said ;-)
5D MKII, 5D MK III, 7D, Sigma 12-24 HSM2, Canon 17-40 F/4.0 L, Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L , Ext x2 III + some other stuff

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:06 PM »
They forgot the  "I AM PROBABLY SHOT ON A CANON CAMERA"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 06:08:06 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 07:36:50 PM »
They forgot the  "I AM PROBABLY SHOT ON A CANON CAMERA"

Yes, they have been caught out on using video clips to sell their cameras that were shot with Canon HDDSLR's.  After all, they want the best possible footage to demonstrate the video capabilities of their new models :)

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »
The "I AM" thing feels a bit similar to the work of New Zealand artist Colin McCahon.  He did a bunch of paintings like that...

5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »
The "I AM" thing feels a bit similar to the work of New Zealand artist Colin McCahon.  He did a bunch of paintings like that...

Don't forget the I AMsterdam tourism campaign (and for the Dutch people here, go read the bit in the book "taal is zegt maar echt mijn ding").

Back to OP, Canon don't need to advertise. They get enough free product placement from having all those red-ringed-big-whites at every sporting event, they don't have to pay for TV time...
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

bigkeith

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 09:43:02 PM »
FYI, the song being played is Welcome Home by Radical Face.  Also why does he run to the tornado.  Get a crop camera a 400 mm lens and stay away!   ;D

Wild

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Born to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 12:19:20 AM »
I guess I'm the odd man out, but I liked the video  :D

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 12:38:27 AM »
"I AM" not impressed ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 12:38:27 AM »

Cptn Rigo

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • rodrigomarta.com
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 01:08:56 AM »
 :) I liked it... Nikon... Canon...heck... its about taking pictures of the things that you love
5D MkIII + 35L, 85L, 135L, 70-300L, 24-70L II

dturano

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 01:23:20 AM »
I actually never saw that ad, i was afraid I was going to click to see an aston kutcher commercial that clogs the broadcasts.  I think Nikon has attempted to flood the market lately.

I have seen some great canon promo vides on canons site but never seen them used as ads, i.e. they have a few amazing 5dmk3 videos on international sites that area awesome.  I dont expect to see high end bodies being advertised to the genreal public, just pointing out how canon does produce some great promo videos.

Canon is smart thought, they have some great entry level commercials that I think are hight quality and blow nikons low budget commercials away.  Once thing i like is how during football season canon usually runs some really nice spots  promoting all SLRs usually focusing on an entry level but showing some pro results.

The ad was ok, but seemed low budget, what i would expect form the cameras used in the video, an ad advertising entry level cams shot with the same cams it advertises, i have seen vimeo vids with entry level canon p&s gear that blows high end production stuff.  This ad was meant to have an amateur feel to it to grab the viewer "hey thats great i can achieve those results...?"

The post created a good debate, I respect the video from an advertising point but am only mildy impressed with the quality.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 01:23:20 AM »