July 25, 2014, 09:17:44 PM

Author Topic: What's the deal with B&H being closed on weekends?  (Read 8901 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
What's the deal with B&H being closed on weekends?
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
Ok...I've been jumping around last few weeks...different sites, seeing deals, etc.

I noticed that a popular place, B&H seemed to be closed on weekends which seemed strange to me...I mean, even online, people are usually off and Saturday is a big shopping day.

What is their deal....why do they close on Saturdays. I mean, even on their site them say:

"Please note that B&H does not process web orders from Friday evening to Saturday evening. "

I've never heard of such a thing before.....?

C

canon rumors FORUM

What's the deal with B&H being closed on weekends?
« on: May 05, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with B&H being closed on weekends?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:11:55 PM »
Comparative Religions class, anyone?  Friday evening through Saturday evening is the Jewish Sabbath, which B&H observes (along with all the Jewish holidays through the year).  They post their hours and yearly calendar, so you know when they'll be closed.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
I don't see why they have to close off internet ordering on saturdays though, seeing as it's just a script that gets processed the same as any other day. Unless their webservers are Jewish too?

(or yeah, most likely is that they just don't want to wake up Sunday morning and have a buttload of orders to get through that they didn't do on Saturday...)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:02:46 PM »
I don't see why they have to close off internet ordering on saturdays though, seeing as it's just a script that gets processed the same as any other day. Unless their webservers are Jewish too?

(or yeah, most likely is that they just don't want to wake up Sunday morning and have a buttload of orders to get through that they didn't do on Saturday...)

Really - do go take that Comparative Religions class.  There is a proscription against conducting business on Shabbat.

Lev. 23:3
There are six days when you may work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to HaShem.

Exodus 34:21
Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.

Making money from Internet sales on the Sabbath consititutes 'work'.  Memo to Christians - those Old Testament references apply as well, though the Christian Sabbath falls on Sunday, although the proscription is largely ignored.  Atheists and agnostics - feel free to work seven days a week.  :P

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:06:43 PM »
Maybe schools need to teach a little more about the world's religions, there was certainly nothing taught about them when I went to school.

I'm saying teaching about them, not teaching or pushing one or the other.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »
Maybe schools need to teach a little more about the world's religions, there was certainly nothing taught about them when I went to school.

Benefits of a Catholic education. We had comparative religion as an requirement.  In the final year, we got to choose an elective option - my choice was Theology of the Devil. Not kidding. Reading list included C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters, among other texts.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:33:17 PM »

Benefits of a Catholic education. We had comparative religion as an requirement.  In the final year, we got to choose an elective option - my choice was Theology of the Devil. Not kidding. Reading list included C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters, among other texts.

I've read most of the CS Lewis novels, including the Screwtape letters, but on my own.  I'm definitely at a huge disadvantage in discussing religions with anyone. 

I read almost anything I can get my hands on, but mostly old Science fiction stories and novels from the 30-s thru the 60's.  I have a few thousand I bought from a estate that I put in alphabetical order by author, and added anothet thousand or so from other used book sales.  I'm up to Delaney now, and might never read them all, although I've probably read 40% of them years ago.

Adorama, and our local camera store, Huppins (Onecall.com), are owned by Jews, but do not close on the Sabbath or other Religious Holidays, so obviously, their are varying degrees of how strictly they follow the rules, just as with all the other religions.  I tend to admire B&H for sticking to their beliefs, and, since shippiing is not done on Saturday by most businesses anyway, its not a big deal when they are closed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 07:33:17 PM »

UrbanImages

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 09:37:05 PM »
Having visited B&H just this past Monday, I can tell you that 85-90% of the workers in the store were obvious orthodox/Hasidic Jews. Thus with not only the owners, but most of the staff observant, it makes sense. I respect their adherence to their beliefs, not an inconvenience. I can tell you however that the store is an absolute marvel to visit. A technophiles dream really. Mid Afternoon on a Monday and it was jam packed, they could certainly spare Saturdays.

And I'm with you Neuro, 12 yrs of Catholic school you get to know what's what in regards to world religions!!
5D III, 5D IIx2.... 24-70L, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 35-350L, 17-40L, 28-135, 50-1.4, 85-1.8, 40-2.8, 100-2.8 Macro, Sigma 15 Fisheye... 600 EX, 580 EX IIx3, 430 EX II and a bunch of other toys...

photophreek

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
"The deal is" that B&H is owned and operated by Orthodox and Conservative Jews.  The time between Friday at sunset and Saturday evening is deemed the Sabath or litrerally translated as the day of rest or the seventh day.  There are 39 authorities or activities that are not allowed on the Sabath.  Some Orthodox or Conservative Jews define operating electrical switches as being included in one of the 39 activites.  As a result, since turning on lights in the B&H retail store or operating computers for online orders and sales involves electricity, the B&H store and online ordering are not open for business during the Sabath.

I do not observe the teachings of the Jewish faith, but I have taken the time to understand and respect the reasons why B&H is not open for business during this time.  Unlike some of the posters in this thread who seem to think that it is acceptable to post disrespectful comments about B&H and it's observance of the Jewish religion. 

Notwithstanding, could we limit our posts to OOF lenses and other related photographic endeavours and refrain from posting uneducated and rude comments about someone's personal religious convictions.   
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:58:23 PM by photophreek »

brianboru

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:58:11 PM »

I've read most of the CS Lewis novels, including the Screwtape letters, but on my own.  I'm definitely at a huge disadvantage in discussing religions with anyone. 

I read almost anything I can get my hands on, but mostly old Science fiction stories and novels from the 30-s thru the 60's.  I have a few thousand I bought from a estate that I put in alphabetical order by author, and added anothet thousand or so from other used book sales.  I'm up to Delaney now, and might never read them all, although I've probably read 40% of them years ago.

Adorama, and our local camera store, Huppins (Onecall.com), are owned by Jews, but do not close on the Sabbath or other Religious Holidays, so obviously, their are varying degrees of how strictly they follow the rules, just as with all the other religions.  I tend to admire B&H for sticking to their beliefs, and, since shippiing is not done on Saturday by most businesses anyway, its not a big deal when they are closed.

Off topic, do yourself a favor and jump ahead to the "W"s and read some Manly Wade Wellman.

On topic, my education on the subject was a college roommate who was both Jewish (Reformed) and the campus paper's main photographer. 

Wakipedia has an interesting claim: "Surpassed only by the Diamond District in terms of Orthodox employment, the company is a vital part of the community's financial health, with hundreds of Orthodox Jews on staff."
7D, EOS M, S95, 40D, S40, 10S, ...
EF 70-200 f4.0 L, EF 17-40 f4.0 L, EF 40mm f2.8, EF 28-135,  Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX, ....

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
The torah is much truer than the oral torah. I wish i could observe shabbot. I am not able to work unless i work it. If i was known for shooting the jewish community and their wedding stuff i wouldn't need the Saturday work. Alas God didn't strike David dead when he ate the show bread in the temple because in the Torah, life supersedes Torah. If one breaks the Torah to stay alive it is higher than observing and dying.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

anthros

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 10:41:08 PM »

Was that Catholic education administered by the Jesuits, by any chance? Mandatory comparative religion class seems (to me) like a hallmark Jesuit move--of which I heartily approve.

I kind of respect B&H for closing on Hasidim-appropriate days; I mean, they're serious about it. Myself, I'm an atheist, but that's neither here nor there. Regardless of your belief system, a little education goes a long way. I don't mean any offense to the OP, but I can't help filing this under "'tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »
"The deal is" that B&H is owned and operated by Orthodox and Conservative Jews.  The time between Friday at sunset and Saturday evening is deemed the Sabath or litrerally translated as the day of rest or the seventh day.  There are 39 authorities or activities that are not allowed on the Sabath.  Some Orthodox or Conservative Jews define operating electrical switches as being included in one of the 39 activites.  As a result, since turning on lights in the B&H retail store or operating computers for online orders and sales involves electricity, the B&H store and online ordering are not open for business during the Sabath.

I do not observe the teachings of the Jewish faith, but I have taken the time to understand and respect the reasons why B&H is not open for business during this time.  Unlike some of the posters in this thread who seem to think that it is acceptable to post disrespectful comments about B&H and it's observance of the Jewish religion. 

Notwithstanding, could we limit our posts to OOF lenses and other related photographic endeavours and refrain from posting uneducated and rude comments about someone's personal religious convictions.   

Interesting...thanks for all the posts......I learned something today.

I wasn't being disrespectful...just something I'd never heard of before. I've never grown up around many people of the Jewish faith...so, not something I'd have guessed off the top of my head, as that I'd never heard of this before.

I remember growing up in AR, basically...a 'notch' in the bible belt...we used to have the Blue Laws. I do remember the few stores that were opened on Sunday, had aisles....and there was no real pattern here...of things that could and could not be sold those days.

Back then...even restaurants were closed that day since they couldn't server alcohol. I used to work retail at Dillards...and it was closed on Sundays back then.

Anyway.....the blue laws have long been gone, and I'd not thought of anyone closing or not selling things due to religious reasons any longer.

Not a huge orthodox Jewish community prevalent down here in New Orleans...so, this is something I'd not run into here.

Anyway....interesting...thanks for the explanations.

I learn something new every day!!

:)

Thanx,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 11:06:56 PM »
Was that Catholic education administered by the Jesuits, by any chance?

It was, indeed.   :)

samkatz

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
I think only one post seemed disrespectful, but kudos to the poster for clarifying that he simply did not understand the orthodox/hasidic jewish take on the sabbath.  Even though "honor the sabbath" and the prohibition of working on the sabbath is common to Christians and jews, it's very rarely adhered to.   Baptists and other Christians off course at one time kept Sundays pretty much reserved for church, hence the old "Blue Laws" that kept bars and shopping closed on Sundays.

Within the Jewish community, very few keep the Sabbath.  The Orthodox and Hasidm  take a very strict view.  You can't work, you can't handle money or conduct business, drive a car or even turn on any electrical device(like elevator, TV, etc)..  There are many "loopholes".. For example, in an Orthodox temple, non-Jewish employees might be employed to handle lighting, etc.  Timers are often used on elevators, eg, you can ride in one, but can't operate it.

I give the guys at B&H a lot of credit for sticking with their beliefs.  They probably lose some potential sales, not only on w/e's but on all the holidays they close. There are many holidays that most of us, including non-observant Jews such as myself, have never heard of.   B&H and others probably could have found some rabbinical interpretation to say that internet sales were not really work, since presumably the website was not set up on the Sabbath and only the customers are pressing the keys.  However they chose to obey what they see as their faith, and are still highly successful.

hope this gives some explanation, 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »