Rumors > EOS Bodies

Canon EOS 5D Mark III AI Servo AF Point Annoyance Firmware Fix Coming

(1/11) > >>

Canon Rumors:
Share AI servo
A lot of people, myself included are quite annoyed at the black AF points when using AI servo mode on the 5D Mark III. It’s nearly impossible to see in some situations, especially in low light. I think most people would like the ability to turn on the red AF point you see when you lock focus in one shot mode. I’m not sure if this was by design, or if it’s actually something that was overlooked in testing. You can see the discussions at [FM] and [POTN] I will say that the AF works terrific in AI servo mode, it’s just tough to see the AF point at times. Firmware fix?
I am told by a couple of people that the above issue is known by Canon and they will fix it with a firmware update in the future. The fix may take some time though. Here’s hoping they also add the ability to change the image review zoom button mapping back to the top right. You can let Canon know you’d like it fixed here.

smithy:
What colour are the AF points on the 1D series bodies?  Is the the 5D III the only Canon SLR with black AF points?

wockawocka:
It won't be fixed, or ever will be fixed because of the design.

When the 5D3 AF points light up briefly the whol viewfinder lights up so anything you focus on will have a red tinge to it in the viewfinder.

TBH, it's the one thing I really miss coming from the 1Ds3, that and the abiliity to focus fast in low light. The 1Ds3 still has that too.

pwp:
Have just done my first job with a 5D3 and for the most part I'm happy with the overall performance.

But this is a staggering error on Canon's part, crippling workflow in a fast moving dynamic shooting situation. They have set up this camera with a brilliant AF system, yet you frequently lose sight of the selected focus point because it's BLACK!

If this is firmware fixable then Canon would win friends by getting the update out to us ASAP. This issue is reason enough to not cancel my 1DX pre-order as I expected to do and be prepared to take the $$ hit selling the 5D3 when the 1DX eventually ships.

Paul Wright

neuroanatomist:
Is the behavior different than transmissive LCD on the 7D?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version