April 17, 2014, 03:50:48 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III AI Servo AF Point Annoyance Firmware Fix Coming  (Read 14820 times)

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile

If they add this feature, it better be optional.

I agree...

The current setup is a huge improvement over the old cameras - I hated the AF sensor marks that obscured the subject.
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

canon rumors FORUM

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
2.  The abillity to add "choose AF scenario" as an item on My Menu.
3.  Of course the AF illumination issue.
4.  Support for UHS SD cards.
5.  Choose which drive modes available on selection.
6.  The abillity to use the multi controller to choose submenues and the small top wheel to scroll top menues (without     
     going through every single submenu.
7.  Exposure compensation in M mode (in auto iso mode)
8.  Set the HDR/Picture Style/Multi exposure button to bracketing mode.

Definitely need 1 & 3, 4 might be a hardware thing (very silly of Canon IMHO). The rest, yea, now that you mention them, they would be quite handy!
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

revup67

• 6D
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
I wrote to Canon Tech Support as suggested in the original CR post and got this response from Rodney as of 5/5/2012:

"Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.  I am sorry that you are having difficulty locating information on what Canon is planning to do to address the dark AF Points in the Viewfinder display in the EOS 5D Mark III.
Unfortunately, Canon has not made any announcements or statements regarding whether a firmware upgrade is being developed to address the dark AF Points.  If an announcement is made, it will be released on the Canon USA website at www.usa.canon.com."

So let's keep hammering them to get this taken care of but as an "option" aspreviously suggested.  Two other points of interest is not being able to remap the zoom button as it is now on the left side of the  camera vs. upper right.  And also since it comes with this camera, a simple upgrade to DPP to add a "rename" feature to the right click (context) menu would be most helpful.  Each time I wish to rename a unique photo I've got to jump out of DPP into Windows Explorer and perform this action.  At least you can rename a folder and batch process a rename.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

NaturaLight

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III AI Servo AF Point Annoyance Firmware Fix Coming
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »
Ok, Canon. It's been three months and this still isn't fixed.  Let's get a move on!

ageha

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 10:47:17 PM »
Ok, Canon. It's been three months and this still isn't fixed.  Let's get a move on!
Maybe the Mark IV is coming sooner than we think. :P

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 09:51:20 AM »
Yeah maybe it's not a simple fix.  In that case, while they're at it, can they add AF point-linked spot metering?  :)
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »
Yeah maybe it's not a simple fix.  In that case, while they're at it, can they add AF point-linked spot metering?  :)

I wish, but it's probably not coming for the 5d3 since it's one of the separators from the 1D line :(
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2012, 11:37:34 AM »

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »

I wish, but it's probably not coming for the 5d3 since it's one of the separators from the 1D line :(

I came to think of a thing I have never thought about, can you link the larger spot to AF point also? Or is just the smallest spot?

I have to say, the 5d3, although not linked completely, gives you WAY different exposure determined by where you focus. Try with a white wall and a lamp, and don't change composition, but only focus point with Average selected and you'll see it clearly.
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »

I came to think of a thing I have never thought about, can you link the larger spot to AF point also? Or is just the smallest spot?

I have to say, the 5d3, although not linked completely, gives you WAY different exposure determined by where you focus. Try with a white wall and a lamp, and don't change composition, but only focus point with Average selected and you'll see it clearly.

Far as I know there is no linking between the AF points and the Auto Exposure functionality on the 5d3.

Hmm...something to try. Average might make somewhat of a difference since it's still a frame average. Maybe it averages in what's in focus in the frame a bit more than the rest? I dunno.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »

Far as I know there is no linking between the AF points and the Auto Exposure functionality on the 5d3.

Hmm...something to try. Average might make somewhat of a difference since it's still a frame average. Maybe it averages in what's in focus in the frame a bit more than the rest? I dunno.

Sorry about that, I meant the 1d X and only thought it and didn't write it. I meant if the larger spot can be linked to AF on the 1d x.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »

Actually, there sort of is, but only when using Evaluative Metering.  In that case, the metering is 'weighted' toward the selected AF point(s).  But Spot Metering can only be linked to AF point on 1-series bodies.

Viggo, if by 'the larger spot' you're asking about Partial Metering (which is 6.5% of the image area vs. 2.5% with Spot), the answer is no, partial is center only.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 04:07:17 PM »

Actually, there sort of is, but only when using Evaluative Metering.  In that case, the metering is 'weighted' toward the selected AF point(s).  But Spot Metering can only be linked to AF point on 1-series bodies.

Viggo, if by 'the larger spot' you're asking about Partial Metering (which is 6.5% of the image area vs. 2.5% with Spot), the answer is no, partial is center only.

Ah, ok. I just haven't read the manual closely enough on AE settings. Thanks Neuro, you always know the answer to everything camera related!

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »

Thanks!! It's a shame, but the linked spot and ec in M mode i'll use for what's it's worth!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 04:11:19 PM »

Minh Nguyen

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 12:29:45 PM »
1.) I'm going to have to disagree regarding diminishing returns. All the talk about lenses and sensors not being able to produce good IQ at high pixel count has been going on since the launch of the 5DmII. My 5DmII was shipped to my house 1 week after the launch date. I immediately found all those fears to be false. What I'm trying to say is that all the "Know-it-alls" cast judgement about whats possible and not possible before even trying the camera based on theory.

2.) I hate being told that "I" don't need high pixel count because I won't ever print pass __ x __ size. I hate being told that what "we" need are more A, B, and C. Everyone is different.

3.) As I wrote on another thread, I do fashion, landscape and product photography I can definitely use more megapixels. No. I don't need 80MP. When the count gets that high I would agree that the lenses we have right now and the sensor size we're using PROBABLY won't be able to manage an acceptable image. However, I think 40+ MP is still within range seeing that my gen-1 24-70 f/2.8 and 5DmII produce tack sharp product images. I'm not even using an L Prime and the images are already too sharp (well its never too sharp for product photography).

If possible I'd personally would like a 40+MP Canon DSLR with a better AF system than my 5DmII and 4FPS is fine for me. If they want to squeeze in more that's fine.

iso79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »
All you need is a tripod.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »