September 23, 2014, 10:57:38 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 5D Mark III AI Servo AF Point Annoyance Firmware Fix Coming  (Read 16366 times)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III AI Servo AF Point Annoyance Firmware Fix Coming
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »
Haven't noticed it too much but I've been using the 7D alot before. :-X

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »

Kevin Weinstein

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »
Spoke with the regional rep here in chicago the other day.  Canon is quite aware of this issue, and this was not overlooked when building the camera.  The 7D, 5DIII and 1Dx all have the black focus points when in AI SERVO.

What's new?  In previous camera models, the focus points were built into the focus screen, but now they use a HUD technology which (right now) does not allow for the red light to go away when the shutter is clicked, this affecting the exposure, etc.

She wrote this, "Yes, the focus point thing is something that we've heard a lot.  I know that the engineers are taking it very seriously but I haven't heard whether or not they will (or can) make a change that would improve it.  They've been very responsive and open to suggestions in the last couple of years so I know that they're listening and talking about it."

Let's all hope they do come to a solution, or it will be a LONG 2-4 years until the next camera, and a ton of missed shots, and a ton of screaming while shooting.

KW

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2012, 12:47:43 PM »
I don't buy it. If i can push in the toggle to see where my point is then take a shot its pretty close to the same thing as it lighting up when achieving focus in my opinion. I know close in tech terms may be fields away but i still think it is silly engineers havent produced a fix or made it work from the get go for that matter.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

mirekti

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2012, 05:20:30 PM »
Yeah maybe it's not a simple fix.  In that case, while they're at it, can they add AF point-linked spot metering?  :)

So when I set my AF point to let's say one in the right upper corner I have to meassure the exposure first by using a centre of my camera, lock the exposure and than recompose and use AF spot I mentioned?
M240 | 35mm FLE | 75mm Cron | 135mm APO

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
So when I set my AF point to let's say one in the right upper corner I have to meassure the exposure first by using a centre of my camera, lock the exposure and than recompose and use AF spot I mentioned?

If you want to use spot metering, yes. Evaluative metering will weight the reading toward the selected AF point, but that's not the same as spot metering. The 1-series bodies have spot metering linked to any AF point.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2012, 05:35:57 PM »
Yeah maybe it's not a simple fix.  In that case, while they're at it, can they add AF point-linked spot metering?  :)

correct (its like this on any camera that isnt a 1D)
this is one of the reasons i find it faster to shoot in manual all the time when using my 5D's

APS-H Fanboy

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »
Manual is so much better than relying on the meter to decide shutter speed.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »