December 18, 2014, 07:07:28 PM

Author Topic: Up the game  (Read 7788 times)

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Up the game
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
It is interesting that 5D3's comparison base is 5D2. D800 is being compared to Leica S2 and PhaseOne IQ180.

"5D3 is far better than 5D2, especially in handling, JPGs, and AF."

versus

"D800 comes close to MF like S2 and IQ180 in other aspects, but clearly fails in midtones."

canon rumors FORUM

Up the game
« on: May 06, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Up the game
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »
It is not very surprising i.m.o. The 5D3's sensor technology seems to be basically the same as with the first 5D. It improved very marginally every generation after that.

While Nikon brings out innovative and impressive features together with their (Sony's) awesome Exmor sensor, Canon looks like they are very much focused on video over stills.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:47:03 PM by Ricku »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »
Still talking about the sensor......

There is much improved in the 5D Mark III to give us the shot we want...
And that's what counts.

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:48:58 PM »

And that's what counts.
Ah yes, the sensor.. Kind of important, don't you think?

While the 5D3 might be a great upgrade for people coming from the 7D, XXD, or the rebel line, it is a very underwhelming and disappointing upgrade for the 5D2 crowd.

Not everyone wants to pay 3500 bucks for fixed AF, ratebutton and more FPS.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:50:41 PM by Ricku »

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:51:22 PM »

And that's what counts.

That is the point of my threat. Clearly people do not care about the sensor, hence 5D3 being such a success so far.

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 12:56:01 PM »
Yeah, we got it. Canon sucks, Nikon is god.

</thread>

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »

Yes it's important, but really blown out of porportion.
I am 100% sure you don't own the 5D Mark III.

After reading all of your posts I already know enough  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »

Rob Wiebe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • J D Robert Wiebe Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 02:10:12 PM »

And that's what counts.

While the 5D3 might be a great upgrade for people coming from the 7D, XXD, or the rebel line, it is a very underwhelming and disappointing upgrade for the 5D2 crowd.

Hmmm. Guess you should try one. Coming from the 7D and 5D2, my 5D3 I wouldn't trade for either.  Sensor or not, the focusing system wins it for me and I guess the DiG!C 5+ Image Processor is what makes it worthwhile, among a few other items such as feel, ergonomics, programmability ...  yes, it works well for me. Now if the damn 1D-X would just arrive! ;-)
1DX, Sony A7R, Sony RX100 III (ordered) and lots of " L" lenses

RunAndGun

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »

And that's what counts.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I wouldn't lump the entire "5D2 crowd" together.  I disagree that it's underwhelming and disappointing.  I have two MKII's and as a camera the MKIII is a huge upgrade.  This isn't film, a DSLR is a system and should be looked at in that way.  A camera(now) is more than JUST it's sensor.  I'm not saying a bad sensor won't ruin an otherwise good camera, because it can, BUT the MKIII does not have a bad sensor.  Like a lot of people, I never had a problem with the sensor in the MKII, I just wanted it in a better "camera".

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 06:04:52 PM »
I think the 5D3 is a HUGE upgrade from the 5D2 in every area. To me that is the definition of Canon "upping their game".

I recently picked up a 5D2 because I needed a second camera, and the price was right- It captures beautiful images. But besides that, my 7D destroys it in terms of AF, ergonomics and useful features. I took my new 5D2 to the park today to see if it could keep up with my 2yr old daughter... Not a chance.

I've read all about the 5D2's limitations for years but bought it regardless because I plan to use it with my manual focus lenses and studio work. I got it for the sensor basically.

My point is the 5D3 has turned the 5D line into a real professional camera that can handle a lot more types of photography. The 5D2 wasn't/ isn't even close. That is progress.

Since so many people need to compare it to the D800, besides their sensor, what improvements were made?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 06:07:02 PM by pdirestajr »
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »
It is interesting that 5D3's comparison base is 5D2. D800 is being compared to Leica S2 and PhaseOne IQ180.

"5D3 is far better than 5D2, especially in handling, JPGs, and AF."

versus

"D800 comes close to MF like S2 and IQ180 in other aspects, but clearly fails in midtones."

I did wonder why it isn't compared with the 1DS3 as it is now being stated as a 'pro' camera

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »

And that's what counts.

Please don't speak for the rest of us. I happen to think its an excellent upgrade from my 5d2. It doesn't depend what camera you're coming from, but your needs.

1982chris911

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • View my Flickr Stream here
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »
Having a 5d MK II and MK III all I can say is that it is a hugh upgrade in every aspect ...
5D MKII, 5D MK III, 7D, Sigma 12-24 HSM2, Canon 17-40 F/4.0 L, Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L , Ext x2 III + some other stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »

And that's what counts.

Please don't speak for the rest of us. I happen to think its an excellent upgrade from my 5d2. It doesn't depend what camera you're coming from, but your needs.

I feel the same way  - the 5D2 was such a good camera for a large number of people that chose it for its strengths. Those strengths, mp, low light and video, have not been massively improved.

I can see this is something you feel strongly about so there's no point continuing the discussion.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 07:19:15 PM »

And that's what counts.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I wouldn't lump the entire "5D2 crowd" together.  I disagree that it's underwhelming and disappointing.  I have two MKII's and as a camera the MKIII is a huge upgrade.  This isn't film, a DSLR is a system and should be looked at in that way.  A camera(now) is more than JUST it's sensor.  I'm not saying a bad sensor won't ruin an otherwise good camera, because it can, BUT the MKIII does not have a bad sensor.  Like a lot of people, I never had a problem with the sensor in the MKII, I just wanted it in a better "camera".

I totally agree here. I think the 5D III is actually a pretty stupendous upgrade overall for the "5D II crowd" at large. There are so many things that have improved.

I think the 5D III comes off as a disappointment to those who were really hoping that Canon would finally improve their DR and offer another boost to MP. I'm not saying 22.3mp is bad, most certainly not, but there are some large groups of photographers who do/did use the 5D II for landscapes and studio work, and something along the lines of 28-32mp with better DR would have serviced their needs much better. As it stands, at the moment at least, Canon users in those groups have just been left in the lurch..so to say. I guess it should also be noted that such a camera could still be released by Canon...there is still plenty of 2012 left, and the rumors about a 40mp+ megapixel monster from Canon are still flying.

I am not sure I'm particularly confident Canon can really produce the same kind of technological excellence as the SoNikon alliance is currently producing, though. Canon has demonstrated a lack of interest in really competing on the technological front for quite a number of years, and I am not really sure they have any interest in producing things like sensors with better DR or AF systems that support f/8 AF points. Those facts are very sad and somewhat disturbing for Canon users who need those features. Switching brands is not an easy, fun, or in most cases worthwhile thing to do, but Canon will start leaving many groups of their users with little other choice to get what they need in the long run if they don't really start making some improvements, and stop producing technologically disappointing "toddler steps" forward with their IC design. Their cameras are certainly capable...every DSLR on the market today is unbelievably capable...but stagnation is never a position you want to be in, and skilled photographers can always make use of improved technology.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 07:19:15 PM »