September 02, 2014, 09:29:09 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS 1DX AI Servo AF Point is BLACK. Oh no...  (Read 4137 times)

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
Re: Canon EOS 1DX AI Servo AF Point is BLACK. Oh no...
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 07:24:19 AM »
The funny thing with this and the 5d3 is it makes me wonder if Canon talk to any actual photographers. The first thing I noticed about the 5d3 was the issue with the viewfinder. It took me about 2 hours to spot it. Yet this camera has presumably been in production for years and the Canon ambassadors will have had them for 6-12 months I'd have thought.

And no one during that time said "err.. Nice focus accuracy but sorry guys I can't see where I'm focussing".

If canon don't find a solution to the viewfinder issue in firmware - and I think they wont because the red lights have issues too - it calls into question WHO canon should be trusting in their feedback loop.

Put another way, if I was in their feedback loop and they listened to me, this embarrassing situation would never have happened. And if youre listening canon, that's a genuine offer since you shouldn't be releasing cameras with such fundamental faults.

I was on this Canon event testing the cameras and after 10 minutes I was like " what's with the black focus points?" but I assumed that was something user customizable. I did not want to waste my testing time navigating in the menu
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 07:24:19 AM »

nikkito

• 7D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 07:25:29 AM »
I don't understand the problem... My 1DII doesn't show any AF point in AI Servo, black or red, when using the 45 focus point. So, having a black point is better than none right?

That's something I wanted to know. What about the other 1D cameras? How does it work?
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 08:00:50 AM »
I don't understand the problem... My 1DII doesn't show any AF point in AI Servo, black or red, when using the 45 focus point. So, having a black point is better than none right?

That's something I wanted to know. What about the other 1D cameras? How does it work?

This is the way I have it setup... If I activate the 45 focus point and set the camera to AI Servo, no AF point is visible.

When I want to track something I put the circle in the center of the viewfinder over my subject and press the AF-On button. At this point, still, no AF point showing.

Finally, while tracking the subject over the 45 AF points, no AF point is lighting up either...

Maybe there is some other way to display AF point in AI Servo in the custom functions but it never bothered me... In fact, I don't want my subject lighting up like a Christmas tree when I track it  :o
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 08:05:41 AM by Shnookums »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 09:23:37 AM »
Same as 7D in AI-Servo

This was my previous question (in the other thread)?  Personally, I haven't found it to be an issue on the 7D, but that may be a function of the scenarios in which I use it (mostly birds, thus mostly outdoors in decent light).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Sycotek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:46 AM »
What I found is the 7D af the points are bigger so less of an issue - on the 5d3 its compressed and harder to see as the hole in the middle of the point is actually rather small.

they have different modes when focus is acquired to make it easier to see but it it isnt as visible as the 7D af points

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:46 AM »