Rumors > Lenses

Lens Recommendation for Weddings.

(1/8) > >>

EYEONE:
Ok, I have my first wedding booking in October. Luckily I have some time to second shoot some with a few pros in the area. But I need some new glass for it. Suppose I can spend $1,500 ($2000 if I sell one of my current lenses). What would you recommend?

I have a:
7D Body
EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6. (I hate this lens.)
Tamron 60mm F2.0 Macro (great lens, slow AF)

Lenses I was considering:
EF 50mm 1.4
EF 24-105mm L f4
EF 24-70mm L f2.8
EF 85mm 1.8
EF 70-200mm f4 IS
Sigma 30mm 1.4

Canon Rumors:
When I shot weddings, it was 24L and 85L. I never used a flash.

I'd probably recommend a 24L version 1 used and an 85 f/1.8. You should be able to acquire both for under $1300. If you want version II, you can probably get both for $1800.

However, it's all about personal style. I am an available light person.

kubelik:
I'm also into available light, as I've gotten a number of compliments from events I've shot where they really enjoyed not seeing the flash popping constantly.

CRguy's suggestions are fairly spot on; I might consider this:

28mm f/1.8
85mm f/1.8
135mm f/2
rent second 7D body

I'd consider renting the second body no matter what you do; it's really great to have backup and really critical not to lose time having to switch lenses off of bodies.  having different angles of scenes really gives the client much more to pick from and makes for a more vibrant album than seeing a whole stretch shot at 24mm, then a whole stretch shot at 85mm, and so on ...

f/2.8 just seems far too risky unless you know you're going to have great light at the venues, especially on an APS-C body.

another option is to just rent the following:

5D mark II
24-70 f/2.8 L
70-200 f/2.8 L II

which should run you out to about $500, the rest you can save for the future, and bring your 7D as a backup.

good luck with the wedding!

Freshprince08:
I'm in a similar position - I've got my first wedding coming up in March (having second shot a lot last summer).

It's an Asian (Indian) wedding with different events - some inside, some outside (weather permitting). I'm renting a 70-200 2.8 IS II (can't wait for that!!) for my 7D, and my partner will also be shooting primarily with the 17-55 on my 500D (T1i). I'll also have the Sigmas 30/1.4 and 50/1.4 as well as Canon 85/1.8 on hand. I'd love to shoot the whole 3 days with primes and no flash but I don't think that would be practical.

From your lens choices I'd be tempted to have at least one zoom on hand, and if you're indoors I would stay clear of the f4 options, especially if you plan to use available light only. But that's just my personal opinion.

Good luck with the wedding, would love to compare notes!!

FatDaddyJones:

--- Quote from: EYEONE on February 21, 2011, 11:18:10 AM ---EF-S 18-135mm f3.5-5.6. (I hate this lens.)
--- End quote ---

Hate is not a good word to describe my feelings for this particular lens. "Abhor" might be better. I posted these thoughts to the Canon website.

Vignetting is horrible, as is CA. If you love dark corners in your photos, as well as a purple fringe around your subjects, this is the lens for you! I can get the advertised 4 stops of image stabilization, which is a great plus, but the non-USM micro motor AF is very slow, and constantly searching in low light. As far as image quality, the word "disappointing" comes to mind.. I own several Canon lenses, and this one gets left at the bottom of the bag, unless I need quick access to a wide zoom. Build quality is, in a word, terrible. Focus and zoom is very loose. Tip it slightly and the barrel fully extends; no creep here... it flies out. The silver ring started peeling off the barrel, which gives a nice touch to the junky, plastic feel of this lens. If you compare price vs. quality, you would do better to look elsewhere. I am a Canon nut, and shoot with nothing but Canon glass. Canon makes extraordinary lenses. This, my friends, it not one of them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version