September 02, 2014, 03:04:00 PM

Author Topic: Lens Recommendation for Weddings.  (Read 24921 times)

cpsico

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Lens Recommendation for Weddings.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »
Three very good L zoom lens that i have used for weddings, my 24-70L 2.8 is a hammer that hits the nail on the head all day and night. Its versatile and the color and contrast are wonderful. APS-C cameras are not good at low or available light, no matter what the manufacture lets you dial the ISO up too!!. I would say spend some of your money and a transmitter/receiver kit like one from quantum and a reliable but inexpensive room light like the alien bees 400. Its light reliable and inexpensive. The transmitters will allow you to turn the room light on or off with a flip of a switch. This gives you creative versatility and the ability to get nice lower ISO high quality shots that are absolutely expected. Grandma and everyone else with a crappy point and shoot with have tons of grainy available light shots.
btw I have seen people talk about soft copies of lenses but don't forget that the camera bodies are not always perfectly calibrated either. Your 7d has a micro adjust feature that can be used to fine tune all of your lenses. That or send the body and lens together to canon to be calibrated together.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 12:29:25 PM by cpsico »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 12:24:37 PM »

Caring

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 03:12:04 AM »
Having at least one FF camera is useful because then your options really open up at the wide angle end to include lots of lovely primes from Zeis, etc.

Except that you will never use a Zeiss lens for a wedding (as Canon mount ones are manual focus except for the antique Carl Zeiss Jenner lenses!).

I would highly recommend the Canon 17-55mm EFS f/2.8 IS USM lens for weddings on the 7D.  There is no other lens with the fast speed and the IS to match.

It is usually compared with the 24-70mm (I have both), but for a 1.6x crop camera the L glass is a bit tight, and it is not as versatile in low light without the IS.  Many people say that IS is a gimmick as you can workaround with bracing and other stability techniques.  But when the bride and groom hug or kiss and you have a split second to take the photo, there is no time for that.  Fast aperture with IS is da bomb in weddings.

Thanks,

Caring

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 11:05:09 AM »
Well, I took a bit of a dive and got a 24-70mmL and a 70-200mm L f2.8 IS II. To round it out I may rent another Speedlite, a 85mm 1.8 and a 5D Mark II.

I really wish Canon had a 14-24mm like Nikon's. That's would make 14-200 available with three lenses and useful on Crop and FF alike.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 04:37:06 PM »

Whatever equipment you choose, watch your step!

http://su.pr/32PLzd
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2011, 04:39:57 PM »

So remember kids, always use underwater housings when shooting weddings.

Macadameane

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 01:03:57 PM »

So remember kids, always use underwater housings when shooting weddings.

I just want to know if the cameras made it or not :)

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
I guess your lens choice depends greatly on the type of weddings that you will be photographing and the aproach that you are taking. I'm a UK wedding photographer and I shoot with available light (no flashes). I tend to use zooms in the summer, but fast primes in the winter where it's generally a lot darker. On a sunny day, I'll choose a 24-70/2.8 L on one 5DII and a 135L on my other 5DII. In winter or during a ceremony with less light, I'll choose a 35 f1.4 L and an 85mm f1.2 IIL combo or a 24 f1.4 II L and a 50 f1.2 L combo, depending on the size of the venue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »