April 23, 2014, 07:06:06 AM

Author Topic: Help with Camera decisions  (Read 4649 times)

TheMonster

Help with Camera decisions
« on: May 08, 2012, 05:46:28 AM »
Hello peeps,

I have been a long time reader and now a first time poster :) I am in need of your help.

I am an avid photographer and videographer. I have done a lot of videography and video editing, but one day I decided to try photography and since then I've been loving it. In 2009, I picked up the Nikon D3000 18-55mm & 55-200mm lenses and got an extra SB-700 flash. It was a great way to learn and become familiar with dSLR's, but it didn't cut for a lot of projects and events. Now I am looking to ugprade, and here is where I need your help.

I need a dSLR with good video functions. I have often heard and read that Canon is superior than Nikon with video in dSLR's, is that still true? For the video functions, I need 1920x1080 (30, 25, 24 fps) and 1280x720 (60, 50, 30, 25 fps), and good image quality. What exactly from Canon made filming better (if the rumors are true)? I would need to get my upgrade latest mid June. Which Camera would you guys suggest I should get between Canon and Nikon? I will be taking pictures of professional events and lots of studio type photography, while I will be doing a lot of high quality filming. I will sell my D3000 with the lenses and keep my flash if I stick with Nikon or sell it if I switch to Canon. I am struggling so much on what I should do, and I really need your guys' help.

Greetings,
TheMonster

Edit: I am willing to pay up to around 1,800€ (2,350$)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:21:53 AM by TheMonster »

canon rumors FORUM

Help with Camera decisions
« on: May 08, 2012, 05:46:28 AM »

Ew

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Camera decisions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:13:37 AM »
Although dslr video is no longer like gorilla warfare, if you're fresh to get in, one thing to really consider is the established user group base. Canon supporters heavily outweigh all other brands - making finding info online ALOT easier. 

But in the end the cam is a tool, just like Avid MC or FCP.
5D3 | 600D | EOSm+22 | Samyang 8mm 3.8T | 17-40 | 28 1.8 | Sig 35 1.4 | 40 | 50 1.4 | 100 2.0 | 135 L | 70-200 4L IS + x1.4mk2

TheMonster

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:56:19 AM »
It's not the information that is lacking, it's suggestions and ideas from other user's that I am searching for. I hope that there are some folks out there that could really help me here.

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 08:58:46 AM »
If you need uncompressed HDMI output from your camera, you'll need to buy a Nikon.  Otherwise, the 5D Mark III would be a good choice for video from the Canon stables.  It has better moire reduction than the Nikons, if this is important to you.  There's also a wider range of lenses to choose from with the Canon range, including tilt shift lenses which can look great in video work.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »
Hello peeps,

I have been a long time reader and now a first time poster :) I am in need of your help.

I am an avid photographer and videographer. I have done a lot of videography and video editing, but one day I decided to try photography and since then I've been loving it. In 2009, I picked up the Nikon D3000 18-55mm & 55-200mm lenses and got an extra SB-700 flash. It was a great way to learn and become familiar with dSLR's, but it didn't cut for a lot of projects and events. Now I am looking to ugprade, and here is where I need your help.

I need a dSLR with good video functions. I have often heard and read that Canon is superior than Nikon with video in dSLR's, is that still true? For the video functions, I need 1920x1080 (30, 25, 24 fps) and 1280x720 (60, 50, 30, 25 fps), and good image quality. What exactly from Canon made filming better (if the rumors are true)? I would need to get my upgrade latest mid June. Which Camera would you guys suggest I should get between Canon and Nikon? I will be taking pictures of professional events and lots of studio type photography, while I will be doing a lot of high quality filming. I will sell my D3000 with the lenses and keep my flash if I stick with Nikon or sell it if I switch to Canon. I am struggling so much on what I should do, and I really need your guys' help.

Greetings,
TheMonster

Edit: I am willing to pay up to around 1,800€ (2,350$)

Well... that really depends on what you want to do. If you want the uncompressed output you want the D800. But for anything else I'd go for the 5D III, what it outputs looks better  and the downscaling to 1080P is more "symmetrical"??. Also you can use pretty much any lens ever made on a canon due to their mount if you can find the adapter.
The 5D III will be fine for studio photograhy, but the D800 has a lot more resolution, but really, again, depending on what you do I'd be able to tell you that you are better off with a MF camera and a IQ180 digi back.

I for one know not a single video/movie-type person who've switched to Nikon, they've all gotten/ordered the 5D III, which to me says a whole lot more than some reviews and numbers and whatever.

TheMonster

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
Thank you for the tips and info. After reading so many reviews and thourough research, it seems like that I will either get the Nikon D800 or the Canon EOS 7D. The Mark III is in my opinion overpriced for what it does. If I go for Canon EOS 7D, what kind of flashes do you guys recommend?

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:07:19 PM »
Thank you for the tips and info. After reading so many reviews and thourough research, it seems like that I will either get the Nikon D800 or the Canon EOS 7D. The Mark III is in my opinion overpriced for what it does. If I go for Canon EOS 7D, what kind of flashes do you guys recommend?

580EX II or the new one, but if you want studio shooting get some strobes.

The 7D is... well. Get a used 5D II instead of that..

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:10:49 PM by RuneL »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:07:19 PM »

TheMonster

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 04:11:35 AM »
So the Mark II over 7D even though I could invest extra lenses with the 7D?

Are there also any differences or whatsoever between US and EU models?

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 05:00:28 AM »

The 7D and 5D II are almost exactly the same, also, if you can't answer which you need the most you're boned. I hate the 7D, so yes. I'd always get the 5D II or a 1D.

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »

The 7D and 5D II are almost exactly the same, also, if you can't answer which you need the most you're boned. I hate the 7D, so yes. I'd always get the 5D II or a 1D.
Why on earth do you "hate" the 7D?  That's such a strong word to use.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »

The 5DII and 7D are very different cameras and each have their own purpose, but I think your "hate" for the 7D would definitely put you in the minority.  Most people I know with 7D's absolutely love them.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 11:40:05 AM »
The 5Dii does not have 720/ 60fps. It also doesn't have it's video mode features as easily integrated into the camera as the 7D.

I've been a 7D shooter for the last 3 years, and recently added a 5DII to my kit... Besides the better image quality the 5DII offers (the ONLY reason I bought it, granted a HUGE reason), the 7D in my opinion is a better all around camera. And when I say "camera" I am not referring to the sensor, just everything else.

If you combine the 7D with the 5Dii you get the 5Diii!

You could also go more budget and get a 60D with a flippy screen (some people like that), and invest the rest of your cash into glass.

I'm mainly a stills person, and a few HUGE features I love that the 7D has over the 5Dii are:
- built-in electronic level (viewfinder & LCD)
- more customizable buttons
- commander flash for off camera flash
- M-fn button
- Better AF

But then the 5Dii has the advantages of:
- full-frame sensor, so full use of your lens' potential
- better IQ, especially at higher ISOs
- Better for manual focusing (you can change the focusing screen)
- shallower DOF

So it really comes down to what YOU need.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

TheFarmer

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »
Good stuff guys. I agree with everyone except for the guy that hates the 7D  ;D  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »

ksuweh

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 12:50:40 PM »
If you combine the 7D with the 5Dii you get the 5Diii!

I totally agree with that statement! I own a 7D & a 5D Mk III. The 7D is very ergonomic camera body with a really good AF system, good IQ & ok at best ISO performance. The 5D Mk II has a much better IQ & MUCH better ISO performance than the 7D, but the AF system leaves MUCH to be desired. If you take the best of both of those camera bodies & you inject a healthy dose of improvements into the AF system, the IQ, & the ISO performance then you have the 5D Mk III. It really is up to you on how you use the camera & your budget as to which one you pick. I just wanted to give you some  info to help make that decision a little easier.
5D Mk III, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 35 f/1.4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, (2x) Speedlite 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

ksuweh

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/canon-5d-mark-ii-7d-good-enough-for-the-avengers/

If these camera bodies are good enough for the hottest Hollywood film out right now, then its a safe bet that they are good enough for what you need them for. The movie "Act of Valor" also used the 5D Mk II heavily in their filming.
5D Mk III, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 35 f/1.4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, (2x) Speedlite 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »