November 23, 2014, 11:15:24 AM

Author Topic: Nikon D3200 is likely to be the real market threat  (Read 6262 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Nikon D3200 is likely to be the real market threat
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:13:01 AM »
Given that Canon's next xxxD camera will likely have 24MP, it should be capable of answering the challenge posed by this Nikon camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:13:01 AM »

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:00:32 AM »
Given that Canon's next xxxD camera will likely have 24MP, it should be capable of answering the challenge posed by this Nikon camera.

...and very likely that Canon will ''miss the train'' if they continue to be late with the new rebel announcement.....

tomscott

• 5D Mark III
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 05:24:17 AM »
The only chance for mirror less cameras to erode the DSLR market is for pros to start using them. People buy affordable DSLRs to feel like they have a "pro quality" camera. Most will never bother to learn what an aperture is, nor have any idea how big their sensor is. They basically have expensive point-and-shoots.

Rubbish pros only make up around 15% of the market. Consumers make up the rest.
5D MKIII 40D 17-55mm F2.8 IS 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 IS L 100mm F2.8 IS L 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L 70-300mm F4-5.6 IS L 50mm F1.8 2x Ex 580EX

KeithR

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 06:59:21 AM »
Why should I be overpaying - so that Canon can make more money off me???
Correct. Welcome to capitalism.
How is that a good deal for me, the buyer?
It isn't, nor is it intended to be. Welcome to capitalism.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 08:15:12 AM »
The only chance for mirror less cameras to erode the DSLR market is for pros to start using them. People buy affordable DSLRs to feel like they have a "pro quality" camera. Most will never bother to learn what an aperture is, nor have any idea how big their sensor is. They basically have expensive point-and-shoots.

Rubbish pros only make up around 15% of the market. Consumers make up the rest.

Not "rubbish". You missed my point. My point was that only if "pros" started using Mirrorless cameras, then consumers would be drawn to them in a way that it would erode the DSLR market. I know the pro market is the minority, but the consumers want to feel like they have a "pro-quality" camera.

The pros need to be seen on the sidelines of the SuperBowl or filming a TV show with their hot-pink-shiny- pancake-pocketable-mirrorless-camera, for the market to take a drastic shift.

A small fashionable camera at a hefty price tag is not going to inspire the masses to drop the DSLR.

After all, bigger is better right?
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Neeneko

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »
pros only make up around 15% of the market. Consumers make up the rest.

True, but pros have high marque value, they have a disproportionate impact on the direction a company like Canon goes and their community's take on things tends to filter down through the rest of the consumer base.

Marketing and engineering love to focus on the 'power users' of their industry, reviewers like to focus on them, and consumers like to feel that they are not going the 'toy' route which means looking at what the 'real' users are avoiding.

Photography is a VERY image conscious hobby, with large numbers of 'average' users trying to look as professional as possible, and significant numbers of professions trying to differentiate themselves from 'guys with cameras' or 'prosumers'.

AdamJ

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 10:24:21 PM »
Why should I be overpaying - so that Canon can make more money off me???
Correct. Welcome to capitalism.
How is that a good deal for me, the buyer?
It isn't, nor is it intended to be. Welcome to capitalism.

I didn't buy my 5D2 until it was available for about 60% of its original suggested retail price. I will do the same with the 5D4 (the 5D3 not being a worthwhile upgrade for me). Welcome to consumer power.  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 10:24:21 PM »