July 28, 2014, 05:27:53 AM

Author Topic: Backpack for photoequipment and hiking  (Read 8382 times)

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
Re: Backpack for photoequipment and hiking
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »
For those who were asking about the K5, sorry I only heard good things about it, I personally only used the U120N. I have some photos of  that bag here: http://atlanticpicture.com/p448959227/ha2260a2#ha2260a2 It's awesome but more for photo gear, not much space for daily stuff...

Good luck with the backpack hunting, it's not as easy as it sounds, took me months to find the ones I like.. ..and now it's time to get a hard case :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 10:24:53 PM »

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Test of 2 products
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2012, 06:53:28 AM »
Much thanks for all of the advices!

I was able to "test" the Clik Elite Contrejour 40 Backpack, renting it from an friend.
It is well built and able to contain everything you need for an 1-day trip. The reason, why I don´t buy it, is the price (300€) and it is not fine to carry, if your backpack is heavy equipped. In my opinion, the weight is not well placed. I feel that the backpacks pulls me back. I tried to repack and optimize the weight distribution. But this was not possible. Positive: The side opening for the camera and the opening on the carrying side.

The Naneu K5 is bigger, and has an extra "bag in the bag" for the Camera & equipment. Well built, very big. You can put his bag out by the side and carry it on your front side. Carrying is much better, when the backpacks is heavyly equipped.
Two reasons, why I sent it back:
1. The carrying-belt on my hips were not long enough for my stomach (172 cm, 84kg), so I was not able to close it in the front.
2. Minor reason:  And if you open the camera case too wide, carrying in  front of you,  it happened that 2 lenses felt down. One of the straps, that should keep it from too much opening, was removed, when I pulles the case out of the backpack. The backpack is much cheaper. 200€. It would be worth buying, if the carrying belt would be able to be closed in front of my stomach.

Now I´m waiting for the Satori Exp from f-stop.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:43:42 AM by xps »

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
F-Stop
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:15 AM »
I was able to hike with the Satori EXP. Good backpack, expensive. Well built, good quality. Well to carry, even if you carry a lot with you. There are 2 things that I complain: The main compartment was open, when I used the medium ICU, so small equipment felt into the ICU, because the ICU is smaller than the opening hole in the back. Maybe, I made something wrong, when I was  inserting the ICU.
The second thing is the missing side access to the camera compartment. That would be an great thing, if F-stop makes an ICU, that can be openend on one side too. Its fine if you dont have to put the bag on the ground if you want to take one shot..

Summa summarum, for me, the Satori EXP is an very good backpack, it would be a great one, if there would be an side access.

I was renting it for 3 days from an mountain guard member, who is one of my friends, carrying it in the Dolomites/Italy.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:00:53 PM by xps »

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
LOOKING for an BIG Backpack for photoequipment and hiking
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
I´ll visit South America in the winter 2012. So I need an big backpack with an camera compartment.
Is there one available with more than 80l?

Does anyone know if there is an normal hiking backpack with an side release (I like the side release :-), where I can put an extra camera compartment inside?

Thanks a lot

Chadowe

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 01:14:22 PM »
I've been anxiously waiting for TrekPak to finalize production.  The idea of adapting inserts to a "real" hiking backpack, a Deuter Freerider Pro 30, sounds perfect to me.  I can't say that I've had experience with the setup yet, as they are just finishing up production after a successful run on Kickstarter.

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 15 stops to Heaven
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
Has anyone suggested Gura Gear as yet?

TiCobra

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »
ThinkTank has some very nice camera backpacks.  They are well designed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
I've been anxiously waiting for TrekPak to finalize production.  The idea of adapting inserts to a "real" hiking backpack, a Deuter Freerider Pro 30, sounds perfect to me.  I can't say that I've had experience with the setup yet, as they are just finishing up production after a successful run on Kickstarter.

Good idea! But no opening on the side and on the back. So, for me it is hard to operate in steep areas at hiking.

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »
Much thanks, but those companies don´t produce backpacks that you can use as daypack for longer hiking and as an camera bag.
I´m looking for something in the size of the F-Stop Satori EXP or Naneu K5. But, both don´t have an opening on the back and on the side. The opening on the back is an very good idea. But as an user of 2 smaller daybacks with an camera release on the side of the backpack, I will not miss it on any backpack I will buy.
Ther backpack has to have big storage volume, so that you can insert everything you need for hiking too.
Today I went on an very steep mountain in the Southtyrol (Europe). And it is more safe for me, if I can sling my backpack in front of my stomach and fetch safely the camera. Without putting the backpack on the ground (that is dangerous if it is very steep).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 04:31:06 PM by xps »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »