July 24, 2014, 11:47:57 PM

Author Topic: Is this heresy?  (Read 6610 times)

EvilTed

Is this heresy?
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »
So my wife wants to get into photography a bit more seriously.
I want to keep her mitts off my MK3 and L glass until she knows how to baby it.
If it's anything like her Mac it'll be covered in makeup and baby goo in on time :(

I'm torn between the obvious 7D (which I can also use as a second body with longer reach) and put the nifty fifty on it and get either a 35mm F/2.0 or a 35mm/F1.4 that can also be used FF.

OR

Getting her a Fujifilm X-Pro 1 with the 35mm lens.
I'm leaning more towards the Fuji because the IQ is excellent. It's smaller and it may teach her more about photography than a 7D.

Thoughts?

ET

canon rumors FORUM

Is this heresy?
« on: May 08, 2012, 08:37:49 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Is this heresy?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 08:43:33 PM »
that X-Pro-1 sure looks good, based on my experience with the X-10 I would say go have a serious look at the X-Pro1 if its in your budget
APS-H Fanboy

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
I have a friend who has been trying out an X Pro-1 rental. He has mentioned quite a few quirks with it, not the least of which is lackluster RAW support from most tools. He has really only been able to use Fuji's software, which is far from great, to edit the RAW images (which are not quite "normal" in that the X Pro-1's sensor has a rather unique layout, and interpolation is not quite standard.)

He has also noted some funky issues using the OVF (optical viewfinder), which is not the same as a normal DSLR in that it has a parallax error. There are some odd problems around how the AF points when using the OVF don't really match up well with the actual contrast AF points of the sensor. He has mentioned on a few occasions how the EVF is not particularly great, and he has opted for the OVF more often...despite its parallax and AF issues.

He loves the IQ (its apparently excellent), but there is definitely a learning curve associated with the X-Pro 1, as well as some funky quirks and issues that seem to take some time to get used to or work around.

So...just beware...
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:28:10 PM »

If it's anything like her Mac it'll be covered in makeup and baby goo in on time :(

Sorry that I don't have any useful advice, but I just find this line hilarious ;D

EvilTed

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:46:58 PM »
Yeah V8, should have said "in no time", but I'm sure you interpolated :)

Hmmm, I'm not so sure if I want to get her something that is too quirky.
Maybe a 7D is a safer bet?

Cheers

ET

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:00:47 AM »
One of the biggest problems with these Fuji's is how poorly they focus in low light.
They often hunt continuously and can't get focus.

Don't get me wrong, I like Fuji cameras and have owned a few, and even though some models I've owned have had bad test results, the pictures they take are excellent in real life.

Get her a Canon DSLR. Less frustrating to use, and you can share lenses and accessories.

imkev

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:09 AM »
I vote for the 7D too. Take advantage of the double rebate right now with the 35L 1.4... Just tell her the lens is for her but when it comes let her play with the 50 instead...
5D2, 7D, T2i and way too many lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:24:09 AM »

takoman46

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:59:17 AM »
If the 7D would be a valuable addition to your kit as well, then it may be safer to go with the 7D over the xpro1. My thinking is that your wife says that "she wants to get into photography", but there is a chance that she may lose interest at some point, thus leaving you with an xpro1 that you probably wouldn't use, while a 7D would be useful to you. In any case, I think there would be great learning value for your wife in either camera.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 03:11:44 AM »

I'm torn between the obvious 7D (which I can also use as a second body with longer reach) and put the nifty fifty on it and get either a 35mm F/2.0 or a 35mm/F1.4 that can also be used FF.

OR

I'm leaning more towards the Fuji because the IQ is excellent. It's smaller and it may teach her more about photography than a 7D.

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that at least the 35L/1.4 will be lipstick and baby goo proof.

I have my doubts about everything else and how long it'll last.

Maybe get her a second hand 1D2?

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 03:30:55 AM »

OR

Thoughts?

I'm thinking that at least the 35L/1.4 will be lipstick and baby goo proof.

I have my doubts about everything else and how long it'll last.

Maybe get her a second hand 1D2?

I thought the 35L wasn't baby goo sealed at all? The 24L II is though! Right? Anyway, I like the idea of a second hand 1d2.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 03:32:53 AM »
I think one important thing to consider is weight, she may not appreciate carrying around the 7D, let alone a 1 series camera. Also, consider how it fits in her hands. If she has small hands, then something smaller may be more appropriate.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Tcapp

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Capp Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 03:37:34 AM »
I think one important thing to consider is weight, she may not appreciate carrying around the 7D, let alone a 1 series camera. Also, consider how it fits in her hands. If she has small hands, then something smaller may be more appropriate.

Well, how seriously does she want to get into it? She might not mind the weight, especially if shes not doing long shoots, or wants something to carry with her 24/7.

The reality is, if she is learning, any camera will do. They can all take amazing photos if you point them in the right place at the right time. Just focus on developing skills! Give her a prime to learn on and experiment with shallow DoF.
5DIII, 5DII, 7D, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 70-200 2.8 IS L II, 2x TC III, 15 Fisheye 2.8, 100 Macro 2.8, 24 1.4 L
http://www.TimothyCapp.com
Follow me on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Timothy-Capp-Photography/94664798952

briansquibb

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »
My wife has just been though this loop. I tried her on the 7D with the 17-40 - and ended up buying a G12 as she can slip it into her handbag.

Got it for a knock down price as the G1X had been out for about 2 weeks. She uses it most weeks to collect resources for her job (she is a teacher). An unusual use but it is a great tool for she wants it for.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 03:45:47 AM »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 04:05:04 AM »
Personally, I'd love an X-Pro1 and I can appreciate why you are considering it.  But the 7D is a more capable performer - especially if you're taking photo's of fast moving babies.  Hmmm. Coolness and comparative simplicity vs features/capabilities that you might or might not need.  It's a tough call.  While she wouldn't be using your lenses if you went with the X-Pro1, I think the 7D is the long-term practical decision if you've already got some quality gear to share.

I had a similar discussion with my dad yesterday, who's thinking of retiring his trustee Canon film SLR and joining the digital age.  If you're not heavily invested in lenses, do you stick with Canon or do you look at the competition?  Our anti-Nikon tendencies ruled that option out immediately (yes, its hereditary!).  We're not 100% convinved about EVF's, so ruled out Sony, and we don't think the mirrorless cameras are quite there yet.  After narrowing the field down quickly, we were just left with Pentax and Canon.  I think we decided that the 600D or 60D would be a safe bet.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:14:37 AM by Hillsilly »
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:25 AM »
"Is this heresy"

Not in the slightest. If other people create good cameras, buy them :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:25 AM »