October 25, 2014, 04:44:07 PM

Author Topic: Portraits of my GF, Would like feedback!!  (Read 13595 times)

Gpf06

Portraits of my GF, Would like feedback!!
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »
Hey guys, here's the JPGs of our recent photo shoot. This is really some of my first ever photo shoot pics, but I'm happy with the way they came out. All natural lighting. Please let me know what you guys think, about both the angles and the composition!

Thanks a lot

Garrett

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78131808@N05/

canon rumors FORUM

Portraits of my GF, Would like feedback!!
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:00:14 PM »

takoman46

Re: Portraits of my GF, Would like feedback!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 10:13:02 PM »
Nice shots! The 5D Mark III really produces stunning images! I have one question though: Did you intend for the post processed versions to take on a darker and more edgy appearance? I would have liked to see less contrast and brighter complexion on your subject; especially around the eyes. One thing I like to do with portraits is to have the background noticeably darker than the foreground (subject). This helps pull focus to your subject. I can appreciate your composition for all shots except the one with your subject looking towards the right of the frame. I would have framed her towards the left to give more depth to the imagination. I feel that with her on the right of the photo; while looking off the right side to be a moment of distraction rather than a purposefully composed scene. Just my thoughts, hope you found something helpful. Everyone's creative vision is different so I write all this with the utmost respect. Looking forward to seeing more beautiful images!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:15:13 PM by takoman46 »

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 10:37:15 PM »
the first 2 photo (4total) the post hurt my eyes. Does not flatter or pleasing to look at at all.
the composition is also poor,  especially the second images: cutting hand, shoulder. that tree bark does not help her but take away her beauty by adding huge distraction (she's beautiful). at the bottom of the photo, is that a foreground blur or a lens dirt smudging around?
I was disappointed that those 4 pic was took by a 5dmarkIII. it's nothing a decent P&S cant be done.
Natural light or not. #1 priority is qualilty. Your photos is dull, contrast is non-existence

last images is much better, well composed, good lighting. the post may not work for me but i guess it's your style.

westr70

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:22 PM »
She's a great looking model!!! ;D
5DIII; 600D; 7D; 100-400mm, f4.5-5.6; EFS-18-135, f3.5-5.6; 100mm, f2.8 IS; 70-200mm, F4 L IS; 17-40mm, f4 L USM; Sigma 50 mm, f2.8.
http://500px.com/Westr70
http://www.facebook.com/JohnFosterPhotography

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »
These look pretty good for a beginner, 5DIII is a hell of a first camera.  I think the first portrait is too post-processed, her skin doesn't look very natural, I'd try something a little more subtle.

The backgrounds in the first 2 images aren't ideal, they are kinda distracting and too similar of a color to skin tones, so the subject doesn't "pop" from the background very well.  In the 2nd image there was something weird going on with the camera, that faded yellow area in the bottom left corner is bleeding onto her sweater so it can't be part of the wood.

The third one is the best in terms of composition, and I like it the best out of the three.  It has kind of a gritty, sleazy feel, not sure if that was what you were going for.  If it were a stock photo, "prostitute" would definitely be one of the tags ;). But your girlfriend looks like a very pretty, classy chick, so don't take that the wrong way.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Orion

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:06:32 AM »
You are geting the poses and composition ok, but mostly need to work on creating simple images with eyes in focus. . . . and try not to mess with colour too much or you will lose out on the scene itself.

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »
Beautiful model!

I'd suggest focusing on one aspect at a time, like composition. Then work on post-processing. I see too many otherwise great images ruined by poor post techniques. Like others have said, the composition of the first two are awkward. Especially the 2nd one- she looks like she has chopped off arms :(
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:22:08 AM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:37:06 AM »
I would have liked to see less contrast and brighter complexion on your subject; especially around the eyes.
+1
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 03:42:13 AM »
For me the tones are too warm and don't look natural. Trying going back the originals (which are cooler) and do a simple curves adjustment, using a medium contrast curve. You can make some further adjustments afterwards, but I think that will give you a better starting point. Once you have a processing style that works and looks more natural, you can start experimenting with compositions.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

Gpf06

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 11:44:33 AM »
Wow for all the response. I'll definitely appreciate the advice! As far as my overall look, I wasnt going for a traditional portrait. I wanted the pictures to look warm and a little vintage.

@vuiling - lol well I hope your eyes feel better! as far as the picture not having contrast, I would definitely disagree. That foreground is a light leak from the sun, not dirt. Why were you dissapointed that they were taken with a mark iii??

@axil - Thanks man, I really appreciate it :) Ill definitely work towards getting my subject to pop more!

@pdi - Haha yeah I can see what your saying about the arms.

@ker - Thanks, I'll definitely try using more curves in the future

Question - why do you think the first pose looks awkward?? I can see how her arms in the second shot look cut off, but the first I really enjoy. I understand that you guys are saying the post is done too warm, but would you really be able to tell had I not posted the before pics??

Once again thanks for all the feedback. keep it coming! In a constructive way.... :)

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »
The skintones look underexposed to me kinda giving that slightly cooked look. Your could zoom into 200mm and shoot @ 2.8 to get rid of that distracting background.

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »
Here's something to try.  After adjusting contrast, elminate all color and see if it works well as a b&w photo... if so, you have the right composition and focus...  If not... then keep working at it. 

Also, with portraiture, you might want to have her jut out her neck a little to really accentuate the jaw.  It's hard for me to explain in type, but you can do a search for it and find some examples.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

xROELOFx

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »
i think you should calibrate your monitor. the colours of the original images look a lot better to me! you can adjust them a bit, but not as much as you've done now.

i don't know what you've done to the first image, but it looks out of focus to me. the original one has lots of nice details, the edited version has less. it's the same with the second image. also, what's the purple colour on the left side of the second edited image?

i like the last image the most. the way she looks and poses and what she wears, fit pretty good. nice job! but, the edited one is again a bit too much. it's a bit too red, the colours do not look right to me.

anyway, hope it's helpfull. good luck and have lots of fun taking pictures :)
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 12:08:41 PM »

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 12:58:30 PM »

Question - why do you think the first pose looks awkward?? I can see how her arms in the second shot look cut off, but the first I really enjoy. I understand that you guys are saying the post is done too warm, but would you really be able to tell had I not posted the before pics??

Once again thanks for all the feedback. keep it coming! In a constructive way.... :)

I think because as someone mentioned earlier I believe, you have her on the right side of the frame looking to the right. This photo reads to me: " Don't look at me, look at those 2 knots in the wood behind me, they are more interesting!"... Does that makes sense?
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

photoxication

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
Wow for all the response. I'll definitely appreciate the advice! As far as my overall look, I wasnt going for a traditional portrait. I wanted the pictures to look warm and a little vintage.

@vuiling - lol well I hope your eyes feel better! as far as the picture not having contrast, I would definitely disagree. That foreground is a light leak from the sun, not dirt. Why were you dissapointed that they were taken with a mark iii??

@axil - Thanks man, I really appreciate it :) Ill definitely work towards getting my subject to pop more!

@pdi - Haha yeah I can see what your saying about the arms.

@ker - Thanks, I'll definitely try using more curves in the future

Clearly you have balls of steel to ask for C&C and post your work here.  Very nice model!  Don't listen to vuiling's comment on the 5D III and disappointing images.   Who cares about what camera you use, just get out and shoot something!  Disregard vuiling's whole post.  I've never had an image online actually "hurt my eyes".  That saying is in poor taste, and won't do anything to help you improve your photography techniques.  I agree that the skin tones do look underexposed.  My favorite composition - the full body portrait in the doorway.  Do some more like that, I think your onto something there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »