October 21, 2014, 11:22:14 AM

Author Topic: After DPREVIEW of D800 would you still get the Canon 5d mark iii?  (Read 26354 times)

Jakontil

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: After DPREVIEW of D800 would you still get the Canon 5d mark iii?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »
lol not a chance....

1DX - 16-35 II, 24-70L II - 85L II - 70-200L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 02:04:09 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 02:15:07 PM »
In a heartbeat...  Not to start a holy war between the two but a lot a review sites concede that the nikon bests the 5d3 from ISO 50-800... It also has a pop up flash, clean HDMI out, more mega pixels.  Everything else from ISO 800 onwards, to AF, HDR, video (canon pounds the crap out of the D800 here), battery, battery life, ergonomics, handling, custom settings, on and on and on...  If i was a landscape or MF shooter, then I may be tempted, and only tempted, in the D800, but in the end, it's not enough of a IQ edge below 800 to get worried about.  But for me, how I shoot, and what my clients needs and wants are, it is what it is... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 02:18:19 PM »
Ohh and a lot of review sites a saying the  nikon d800 is better so I just did not consider dpreviews opinion.

Plus a lot of review sites, from digital rev to learning dslr videos, to many other youtube videos comparing the two, it seems that a good chunk of them give their nod to canon in the end...  Most also say the differences are so minor in the end it isn't worth while for either camp to jump sides, of course they all have to say that, but it is what it is...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
I will never buy a nikon as long as they let a blind drunk, deaf, dumb and even more blind man control how the buttons are placed and how the menus are set up and the general operation of the camera.

Here's a scenario for you that think they're equal in noise. When you increase pixels you also need to shorten your shutter speed to not show motion blur. I tried the D800 and I had to have at least 1/2500s to freeze a bike messenger I tried outside the shop where I work, that means going to 3200 iso whereas with the 5d3 I had iso 1250 and around 1/1000s, no motion blur on either, but I was over a full stop higher in iso , making the image, of course, more noisy and less DR (that some of you are EXTREMELY conserned about).

And to give up on the wonderful wonderful Canon primes I own is not an option at all. In fact, the 5d3 is soo good I can't blame anything but me if the images suck now...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 02:45:42 PM »
Had a good laugh reading the comments at DPR on D800 review...  :D anyways...

I was not going to get the mark III, neither the D800 so the review has had no effect. I think we will be seeing a very active market within the coming 12-24 months with more pressure on Canon (yep, that probably means 24-48 months when talking of Canon). I am not a pro, neither in need of an urgent update so I am planning to wait and see how things develop...

Cheers!

Otter

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 03:01:07 PM »
The D800 is a better camera.  I'm a Canon guy and I always have been.  I'm not going to switch because Nikon wins one round.  I am also not interested in 36 MP's.  But based on most of the reviews that I have read and watched when the two cameras are put head to head, whether it's low ISO performance, Dynamic Range ect, it seems the D800 ends up on top.
However that does not mean the MKIII is not a great camera and it does do a lot of things great.  I am going to pick one up when I get the money and it doesn't bother me that the D800 is rated higher.  Do I wish the MKIII had a higher rating when I'm spending $500 more on the MKIII over the D800.  Most definitely but it won't affect me purchasing the MKIII.

The things you mention aren't always the most important factors in a camera. Why not use a IQ180 if you want the best? Answer that and you'll see why parts of your post are downright stupid.

I would say in a lot of cases, people DO care about dynamic range and low light performance(Just look around the forums).  Is that the part that is stupid?  Is it the fact that most head to head comparisons between the two cameras, the D800 comes out with a better score.  Is that part stupid? 
Can you refrain from being a jackass and actually say something more meaningful then a general sentence that offers zero insite and perhaps elaborate on the stupidity of my post?
Most reviewers and people that review cameras for a living do give the D800 a better OVERALL score.  That was my point...stupid...

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »
They are different options.

Not everybody needs high FPS and extremely fast AF.

Not everybody needs 36MP and high DR.

What is your compromise? And set of lenses you already have?

------------------------------------------------------
This is personal and completely subjective:

While Canon has undoubtedly a good camera, I feel their camera development attitude 1) is too carefully weighted (crippled if you wish) and 2) is lacking a clear lead in the competition and 3) priced relatively high
Add on that the mystery of releases: 1Dx delays, lenses delays, printer delay (Pro 1), missing high MP sensor ..

It is not that the 5D3 wouldn't do all the things I need, but rather I'd support somebody who has the heart for photography, so that one could not sense things being left out for marketing reasons.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 03:10:11 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
It's strange how people can be totally happy with a camera and as soon as they hear there is something slightly better out there it immediately becomes a useless piece of junk that's incapable of taking good images.  Just because the D800 has slightly better resolution doesn't make the 5DIII a bad camera.  It's like when the 5DIII got announced.  Up until then, most had nothing but good things to say about the 5DII, but all of a sudden people were acting like it was some ancient piece of crap camera and questioned whether it was "good enough" (even though it's plenty of camera for most).
Relativity is a bitch.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 04:16:26 PM »
I will never buy a nikon as long as they let a blind drunk, deaf, dumb and even more blind man control how the buttons are placed and how the menus are set up and the general operation of the camera.

Here's a scenario for you that think they're equal in noise. When you increase pixels you also need to shorten your shutter speed to not show motion blur. I tried the D800 and I had to have at least 1/2500s to freeze a bike messenger I tried outside the shop where I work, that means going to 3200 iso whereas with the 5d3 I had iso 1250 and around 1/1000s, no motion blur on either, but I was over a full stop higher in iso , making the image, of course, more noisy and less DR (that some of you are EXTREMELY conserned about).

And to give up on the wonderful wonderful Canon primes I own is not an option at all. In fact, the 5d3 is soo good I can't blame anything but me if the images suck now...

This brought a tear to my eye.

I think both companies made concessions and I think Canon erred the way of practicality. Nikon went guns slinging for the exotic and more niche. Not saying one is better than the other but the 5D3 comes highly recommended by me. I love how people said the the mkII's IQ is incredible and now they are upset the mkIII is only marginally improved. The mkIII's IQ is phenomenal and I can retrieve a LOT of shadow detail. Could I retrieve more with the D800? That's what I'm told. The day I am trying to retrieve more shadow detail (on the bulk of my shots) than the 5D3 offers is the day I really need to question my photographic abilities. Then I'll give the D800 a try before I throw in the towel.

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 04:31:19 PM »
At the same shutter speed, the same sized print (or downsize of a bigger image) would NOT be different no matter the density (22MP vs 36MP).

True, in order to benefit even more from a higher density sensor, it is advisable to use higher shutter speeds in such fast action situations.

Again, a 36MP sensor is no worse recording image than a 22MP at the same shutter speed, it can only be better.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
At the same shutter speed, the same sized print (or downsize of a bigger image) would NOT be different no matter the density (22MP vs 36MP).

True, in order to benefit even more from a higher density sensor, it is advisable to use higher shutter speeds in such fast action situations.

Again, a 36MP sensor is no worse recording image than a 22MP at the same shutter speed, it can only be better.

Not worse, it just shows the motion blur more than lower res. And if you crop, which I assume is one of two reasons why people want 36 mp, you still can see it better, that's a fact.

Zoom them both in to 100% crop at the same settings and it becomes obvious. It's not that 36 mp is more prone to motion blur, it's just that the higher level of detail reveals it.

And to say the 36 image is no worse than 22 at 22 is a pointless point, why would you buy a 36 to use it at 22?

Normalize res and all this, what a waste.

"oh look, the 5d3 is no better at focusing than the 5d2 when I use an f5,6 lens and aim at a completely white surface, man, Canon has failed and left it all in the hands of nikon"
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »
It's strange how people can be totally happy with a camera and as soon as they hear there is something slightly better out there it immediately becomes a useless piece of junk that's incapable of taking good images.  Just because the D800 has slightly better resolution doesn't make the 5DIII a bad camera.  It's like when the 5DIII got announced.  Up until then, most had nothing but good things to say about the 5DII, but all of a sudden people were acting like it was some ancient piece of crap camera and questioned whether it was "good enough" (even though it's plenty of camera for most).
Relativity is a bitch.

+100

I like to stay a generation behind the technology wave so I never have buyer's remorse, get an amazing price and all the quirks (firmware updates/ mass hysteria of recalls) have been fully worked out!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 05:46:09 PM »
canon 60d
17-55 2.8
15-85 usm
18-200mm
18-135
18-55
50 1.8
24-105l

I think its great and wonder if its sharpness might be better served with a different lens. I was considering the 50 1.4 or 70-200 f4is to add reach. I am keeping it since due to a mistake with my local dealer i only paid $3570 out the door for the kit. Even any upcoming 70d ff option will not beat that deal. I don't have anymore ef mount lenses so i was just curious if anyone else felt the nikon was better if you were no longer invested in glass.
Yes, I'd say that getting a nice prime lens or two will help your sharpness issues.  You also might want to see if microadjusting the focus for your 24-105mm lens would help with softness.

Going from a 60D, (which is purely a consumer-level camera with a basic AF system), to the 5D's pro-level AF system will be a huge learning curve.  Have patience with it and spend some time immersed in the manual.  You'll either find that it's not for you, or you love it.  I'm guessing the latter.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 05:46:09 PM »

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 05:57:35 PM »
It does not make me want to change it all. I am extremely happy with my 5D3 and at this point, care less about the D800. It was fun at first to compare them, but now it is just getting old.

For those who go with the D800, awesome. For those with the 5D3, awesome. It does not bother me in the least. I don't get why people care so much about others though. Go with what you really want. The D800 and 5D3 are different target audiences and I fall into what the 5D3 offers. I simply believe it is the superior camera for me.

I won't have any second thoughts on my decision either. The 5D3 is the best body I have ever used.  So I am happy!

jaduffy007

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
After DPREVIEW of D800 would you still get the Canon 5d mark iii?
No, I will not.
But then I didn't think the 5DMkIII was worth the price before the review either.

+1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »