December 09, 2016, 06:53:44 PM

Author Topic: After DPREVIEW of D800 would you still get the Canon 5d mark iii?  (Read 36206 times)

m3tek44

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: After DPREVIEW of D800 would you still get the Canon 5d mark iii?
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »
After DPREVIEW of D800, YES I went ahead and trigger buying Canon 5D Mark III.  I am very one happy customer!!!
5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »

well_dunno

• Canon 6D
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »
I would think very carefully before doing that. Do some research: the grass is NOT greener on the other side..

+1, it looks greener but it never is... Anyone is welcome to go over to nikonrumors forum and see the actual color of the grass there ;D

bdeutsch

• Canon AE-1
    • Gotham Family Photos
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
I'm still in the undecided category, but I'm swaying dangerously close to switching to Nikon.   Of course, at the rate I'm making up my mind, I'll be deciding between the 5d Mark IV and the d900.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photos

cliffwang

• Canon 7D MK II
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
I'm still in the undecided category, but I'm swaying dangerously close to switching to Nikon.   Of course, at the rate I'm making up my mind, I'll be deciding between the 5d Mark IV and the d900.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photos

Me too.  I will wait for the next generation.  If 5D3 had 36MP or D800 had 6FPS/high ISO, I would buy them for 3K+.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

RuneL

• EOS M3
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »
FPS Will you capture that particular moment?

FPS is important when you don't know when the particular moment will be.

This is most common in sport - you don't know what will happen until it does and by the time you react with a camera, it is too late.

It can also be useful with animals/birds for similar reasons.

At a wedding, if I need high FPS to get the shot then I'm not doing my job right.

Yes, I'm aware. Don't know anything about weddings, never done one, but I could imagine that you know what happens when and you just have to be on the look out for anything interesting and be good with the focus.

Only place I've ever needed my fps is sports and magazine shots of race cars and some news stuff.

iso79

• EOS M3
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
It's so sad so many people are obsessed with megapixels.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
"After DPREVIEW of D800 would you still get the Canon 5d mark iii?"

YES! And I did it AFTER the DPReview of the D800. IMHO, you're either with us or against us. ;)
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »

jeprox

« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2012, 11:19:17 PM »
I sold my D700 2 years ago for the 5D2 and really wanted to like the whole Canon system but after a while I really could not kid myself any longer and sold my piece of crap Canon system - 5DM2, 24-70 and 70-200 IS II.  Got myself the D800 with the 2.8 lenses and could not be happier.  I think this kind of thread is a gathering of Canon users that is very insecure with the current Canon offering - which isn't much and everybody is trying to get reassurance from somebody else that Canon, especially the 5DM3 is a great product.  Read the reviews from reputable sites people....5DM3 is hardly any better than the 5DM2 and DXO Mark confirms this with their test.  Just look at the top ten list at DXO Mark and as always Canon is at the bottom of the list.  They are just great at suckering people with their camera & lens offering.I wonder who these people are....hmmm..

sovietdoc

« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2012, 11:23:24 PM »
I sold my D700 2 years ago for the 5D2 and really wanted to like the whole Canon system but after a while I really could not kid myself any longer and sold my piece of crap Canon system - 5DM2, 24-70 and 70-200 IS II.  Got myself the D800 with the 2.8 lenses and could not be happier.  I think this kind of thread is a gathering of Canon users that is very insecure with the current Canon offering - which isn't much and everybody is trying to get reassurance from somebody else that Canon, especially the 5DM3 is a great product.  Read the reviews from reputable sites people....5DM3 is hardly any better than the 5DM2 and DXO Mark confirms this with their test.  Just look at the top ten list at DXO Mark and as always Canon is at the bottom of the list.  They are just great at suckering people with their camera & lens offering.I wonder who these people are....hmmm..

Not sure if trolling or...

I would have taken your post seriously, except when you start bringing DXO Mark I really can't.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:25:46 PM by sovietdoc »

jeprox

« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »

I'm sure DXO would have been on point if 5DM3 received higher test ratings.  Dream on.....
Not sure if trolling or...

I would have taken your post seriously, except when you start bringing DXO Mark I really can't.

briansquibb

« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2012, 11:39:10 PM »
I still maintain that the 5DIII and the D800 have different uses and therefore comparing the two is a bit meaningless.

Rather like comparing the D700 and the D800 or a 7D and a 5DII.

It is all down to what the buyer wants from their camera. Both cameras give excellent results, probably in excess of what the average user needs. It could be down to which lens suits best rather than the body - such as a TSE

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2012, 11:54:51 PM »
nope..
not at all.

seekn

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:37 AM »
I upgraded from a Rebel t1i to 5D 3, here is my personal view.

Is it worth 3.5 large? No.

I am not going to bother comparing it to my rebel because that is just a waste of time, 5d3 is targeted at different people. But I might as well compare it to D800 since that camera is meant to go head to head against the 5d3.

While D800 and 5D3 go neck to neck in DR and features as the most reviewers are finding out, I don't see why one costs $500 more than the other, while not being better.

So simple as that, it's not worth 3.5 large, but if it had the same price as D800, yes it would be worth it.

With that said, I definitely don't regret buying a 5D3 over D800, because for me, the primary deal breaker was the glass, not the body.  Having shot with Canon's 70-200 II and Nikon's 70-20 VR II, I definitely prefer Canon's version for IQ.  And although my preordered 24-70 II isn't going to be available until July, I have a feeling it will have better IQ than nikon's current 24-70.
Funny because I upgraded from  T1i as well and I think it was worth the investment.  Yes, it is VERY pricey however there is a huge difference in just the overall quality of the camera as a whole.  Yes, maybe Canon could have improved with some things - the Ai sevo points, the relocation of the magnification button, the DR, the uncompressed video, the mp etc etc.. however taking the camera as a whole it is an impressive machine.  I have been shooting pretty much non stop with it since I got it about 4 weeks ago and the pictures are fabulous.  I wish sometimes the resolution was just a tad better - but the color and the "look" of the pictures SOOC can be breathtaking at times.  The AF is just amazing.  I shoot everything I can.  Sports, portraits, landscape, events and commercial and I find that I get so many more keepers with the mark iii.  I think that is really a understated strength of the mark iii, the ability to actually capture the image.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2012, 12:21:37 AM »

GMCPhotographics

• 5DSR
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2012, 07:19:48 AM »
I used a pair of 5DII's from the day of launch for my professional wedding and landscape business. Previously I used a pair of 5D's. My lens list is very specific, for weddings I use either the f2.8 zoom trinity (16-35IIL/24-70L/70-200IIL) if the light is good or I run with primes if the light is low (24IIL/35L/50L/85IIL/135L) and these lenses are usually shot wide open and close to MFD to create a pleasing background blur. I used the single centre point and re-compose technique, AI one-shot and I had the fine focus screen fitted (EG-S). This technique is tricky to use but once mastered gave me faultless results. I've shot a lot of weddings in tricky light and this approach nailed the focus every time.
Now that I've migrated over to a pair of 5DIII's, I can still use that technique...in fact I'm finding those central 5 AF points are simply amazing. I'm shooting sharp and in focus images during 1st dances, which are so dark, it's all black to my eye. The camera is nailing the focus in light levels which I can't even see in and the high iso ability of this camera is nailing the exposure beautifully too.
What I gain with the 5DIII model isn't the image quality, but it's the plain and simple truth that every other aspect of this camera is massively improved over the 5DII. The build quality of the 5DIII is way way better than the 5DII or 7D. It's not far off a 1DsIII. The dual cards is a massive bonus, the 100% viewfinder is a delight to use. The built in level is great as is the 1x1 aspect crop mode. The silent mode is spookily quiet...from about 1 ft away it's effectively silent. The extra stop or so high iso ability is very nice too. My 5DIII's show practically no pattern or colour iso noise, it's remarkable.
For photojournalism / weddings there is in my opinion, the 5DIII is the best camera currently available. Bar none. Nothing else comes close, it's perfect for that role. The other great point is that it's currently the most versatile camera on the market and it nails pretty much every photographic genre in a very capable manner. I recently photographed wild red grouse who are very shy creatures. The 5DIII's AF was spectacular in AI servo.
It's fast 6fps came in very handy too.
As to the DXO marks....well, I can only guess that someone in that particualr lab is on the payroll of Nikon and their recent changes to their testing methodology now favours Nikon sensors over Canon.
The new D800 Nikon is a fantastic machine, but it is no where near the Canon 5DIII in terms of versatility and for photojournalism it's not a very good fit any more....which is bizarre considering that was the D700's strongest suit

seekn

« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2012, 07:36:15 AM »

Now that I've migrated over to a pair of 5DIII's, I can still use that technique...in fact I'm finding those central 5 AF points are simply amazing. I'm shooting sharp and in focus images during 1st dances, which are so dark, it's all black to my eye. The camera is nailing the focus in light levels which I can't even see in and the high iso ability of this camera is nailing the exposure beautifully too.

Totally agree. I do venture out into some of the lateral focal points but intuitively the 5 centers just feel so much quicker and accurate.  I usually end up changing back to one of the centers and recomposing after awhile. +1 with the rest of your post too - my feelings exactly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2012, 07:36:15 AM »