April 21, 2014, 04:09:16 AM

Author Topic: After DPREVIEW of D800 would you still get the Canon 5d mark iii?  (Read 23782 times)

Pieter Oosthuysen

Re: After DPREVIEW of D800 would you still get the Canon 5d mark iii?
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »
Well to be honest!!!!

I bought a Canon 50D 2 years ago, and Canon was very silent about it, taken off the market in 6 months, and a month ago I bought the 5d mark III, with all it's problems, none of these two cameras seems to made it.....so maybe it is time to change to another "political party", I just cant believe that Canon is so ignorant about it, my 5d Mark III didn't even came with a manual or DPP program...sorry Canon, I am very disappointed after 40 years!!!!! so can I exchange it!!!! for a Nikon, it made me shiver just thinking about it...but sorry....Canon... you dont look after your customers>>>>

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »
Well to be honest!!!!

I bought a Canon 50D 2 years ago, and Canon was very silent about it, taken off the market in 6 months, and a month ago I bought the 5d mark III, with all it's problems, none of these two cameras seems to made it.....so maybe it is time to change to another "political party", I just cant believe that Canon is so ignorant about it, my 5d Mark III didn't even came with a manual or DPP program...sorry Canon, I am very disappointed after 40 years!!!!! so can I exchange it!!!! for a Nikon, it made me shiver just thinking about it...but sorry....Canon... you dont look after your customers>>>>

? I didn't come with a manual? Or DPP? Wat... I'm satisfied with Canons customer service. They changed the whole top assembly on my 1D IV in two hours. That's service.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »
Well to be honest!!!!

Those are 2 things that come with every camera....  I would take it back to the retailer as it sounds like they may have took it out/tampered with it. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
Well to be honest!!!!

I would think very carefully before doing that. Do some research: the grass is NOT greener on the other side..

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »
Well, it's pretty strange then that, for example the 1d4 AF-guide, shows specifically that you need a higher shutterspeed when increasing the pixel density on the same size sensor, and has been my very clear experience. Things didn't suddenly start to move faster.

Are you saying the level of detail on the same size prints is the same? Then what the hell is the point of 36mp in your opinion? That you must print 100% res in order to see more detail than 22mp?
1dx, 17-40 L, 24-70 L II, 85 L II, 200 f2.0 L

sovietdoc

« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2012, 05:31:51 PM »
I upgraded from a Rebel t1i to 5D 3, here is my personal view.

Is it worth 3.5 large? No.

I am not going to bother comparing it to my rebel because that is just a waste of time, 5d3 is targeted at different people. But I might as well compare it to D800 since that camera is meant to go head to head against the 5d3.

While D800 and 5D3 go neck to neck in DR and features as the most reviewers are finding out, I don't see why one costs $500 more than the other, while not being better.

So simple as that, it's not worth 3.5 large, but if it had the same price as D800, yes it would be worth it.

With that said, I definitely don't regret buying a 5D3 over D800, because for me, the primary deal breaker was the glass, not the body.  Having shot with Canon's 70-200 II and Nikon's 70-20 VR II, I definitely prefer Canon's version for IQ.  And although my preordered 24-70 II isn't going to be available until July, I have a feeling it will have better IQ than nikon's current 24-70.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:56:15 PM by sovietdoc »

m3tek44

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »
After DPREVIEW of D800, YES I went ahead and trigger buying Canon 5D Mark III.  I am very one happy customer!!!
5D Mark III/60D (sold) /  24-70mm f2.8L / 16-35mm f2.8L II / 70-200mm f2.8L IS II/ 85mm f1.8/ 580EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »
I would think very carefully before doing that. Do some research: the grass is NOT greener on the other side..

+1, it looks greener but it never is... Anyone is welcome to go over to nikonrumors forum and see the actual color of the grass there ;D

bdeutsch

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Gotham Family Photos
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
I'm still in the undecided category, but I'm swaying dangerously close to switching to Nikon.   Of course, at the rate I'm making up my mind, I'll be deciding between the 5d Mark IV and the d900.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photos

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
FPS Will you capture that particular moment?

FPS is important when you don't know when the particular moment will be.

This is most common in sport - you don't know what will happen until it does and by the time you react with a camera, it is too late.

It can also be useful with animals/birds for similar reasons.

At a wedding, if I need high FPS to get the shot then I'm not doing my job right.

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
I'm still in the undecided category, but I'm swaying dangerously close to switching to Nikon.   Of course, at the rate I'm making up my mind, I'll be deciding between the 5d Mark IV and the d900.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photos

Me too.  I will wait for the next generation.  If 5D3 had 36MP or D800 had 6FPS/high ISO, I would buy them for 3K+.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »

This is most common in sport - you don't know what will happen until it does and by the time you react with a camera, it is too late.

At a wedding, if I need high FPS to get the shot then I'm not doing my job right.

Yes, I'm aware. Don't know anything about weddings, never done one, but I could imagine that you know what happens when and you just have to be on the look out for anything interesting and be good with the focus.

Only place I've ever needed my fps is sports and magazine shots of race cars and some news stuff.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »

Yes, I'm aware. Don't know anything about weddings, never done one, but I could imagine that you know what happens when and you just have to be on the look out for anything interesting and be good with the focus.

If you go to a wedding or are in the wedding party where the photographer is a true professional then you'll understand what I mean by saying that FPS isn't important for wedding photographers. Nearly all of the shots are going to be specifically composed for a particular look or group of people. Sure, there might be some cute photos from dancing/tables, but that's not what they're really paid for. In those instances, the bigger problem is peoples' eyes blinking and you don't need high FPS to correct for that (unless you want to photograph the eyelid going down and then up again.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2012, 09:05:21 PM »

iso79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2012, 09:14:44 PM »
It's so sad so many people are obsessed with megapixels.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

GDub

• Rebel SL1
  • I R Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Gary Wium: photography & circumstance
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »
"After DPREVIEW of D800 would you still get the Canon 5d mark iii?"

YES! And I did it AFTER the DPReview of the D800. IMHO, you're either with us or against us. ;)
5DM3, EOS M, T2i & G11

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2012, 09:45:19 PM »