December 21, 2014, 04:12:03 PM

Author Topic: Canon Mirrorless Information? [CR1]  (Read 14432 times)

Neeneko

Re: Canon Mirrorless Information? [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »
My guess is that Canon is lining up another oddity to not cannibalize their DSLR market...

This seems likely.
When companies are more concerned about not cannibalizing their own departments then with the overall health of the company, they are getting ready to have a decline.  At the moment it feels like the bulk of Canon's new offerings are designed to not impact the sales of other departments, which has produced a loop of lackluster products that are pretty much designed to not be competitive.

Question is, will they get their act together before another company steals significant share from them?  Will they go the Nikon route and stay relevent but smaller, eventually improving again.. or Kodak's route of... well.. Kodak is a complex story....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 11:13:38 AM »
I don't think there's any way that Canon will release a mirrorless that is FF.  If they did they would charge way too much for it...  If I had my wishes I'd like to see one with the APS-C or, better yet, APS-H sensor size.  That 4/3 proportioned (but larger than 4/3 standard format) sensor in the G1 X is just about the craziest thing they have ever done.  I know there was a lot of hype about the G1 X and that the image quality was quite good but I found it interesting that Best Buy listed it for a couple of months before it was release and then deleted it from their site once it actually started shipping.  Sort of makes you wonder about the mass market appeal of the thing.  My guess is that Canon is lining up another oddity to not cannibalize their DSLR market...

And how is APS-H any better? I always felt like it was the worst choice for wide-normal FLs (the ones you would normally use on a mirrorless camera). There is no decent non-L fast-50 Canon equivalent for APS-H (IMHO 35/2 is pretty bad). I guess that 28/1.8USM is a decent 35 on 1.3 crop, but that's all... It may be acceptable if they produce some nice APS-H format primes (like 12mm, 28mm, 40mm, 75mm), but then again it would fail at adapting EF/EF-S lenses (in term of vignetting, black edges and awkward FLs) and that's a deal-breaker for someone like me.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:43:01 PM by ecka »
FF + primes !

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »
My guess is that Canon is lining up another oddity to not cannibalize their DSLR market...

This seems likely.
When companies are more concerned about not cannibalizing their own departments then with the overall health of the company, they are getting ready to have a decline.  At the moment it feels like the bulk of Canon's new offerings are designed to not impact the sales of other departments, which has produced a loop of lackluster products that are pretty much designed to not be competitive.

Question is, will they get their act together before another company steals significant share from them?  Will they go the Nikon route and stay relevent but smaller, eventually improving again.. or Kodak's route of... well.. Kodak is a complex story....

10 years from now we'll have threads like "What is Kodak? :o"
 ;D
FF + primes !

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2012, 11:56:36 AM »

Theres a difference between this and people on the net becoming upset because the reality didnt live up to their personal hype of a product that delivered everything they desire at a knockdown price.

If anything I'd say just the reverse is true of the 1DX and 5D mk3, there actually cameras that do step on each others toes far more than had been expected with the latters improved AF and FPS. The disapointement for many has been that we havent thus far seen a FF DSLR that offers greater resolution.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2012, 12:33:13 PM »
If anything I'd say just the reverse is true of the 1DX and 5D mk3, there actually cameras that do step on each others toes far more than had been expected with the latters improved AF and FPS. The disapointement for many has been that we havent thus far seen a FF DSLR that offers greater resolution.

Except that one has twice the fps of the other, an even better AF system and not to forget gigabit ethernet.

Neeneko

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2012, 12:50:23 PM »
Theres a difference between this and people on the net becoming upset because the reality didnt live up to their personal hype of a product that delivered everything they desire at a knockdown price.

Within the current context I was more referring to how Canon will likely approach the mirrorless market given their past statements.  Though for the 5D3 and 1DX it could be argued that they are going through some hoops to not step on their various video offerings.  On the other hand their various video lines seem to be eating each other......

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 03:03:20 PM »

One of Steve Jobs's business rules was to never be afraid of cannibalizing yourself. "If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will,"   http://yastrow.com/nlarchive/2011/cannibalize-yourself-12-20-11.html

The DSLR market is flat, but growth is occurring in the in the mirrorless market -- so canon needs to go there. But not with their typical "no-cannibalizing-allowed" attitude. Lets hope they get it right, 'cause if they don't someone will eat their lunch.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2012, 03:03:20 PM »

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »

Except that one has twice the fps of the other, an even better AF system and not to forget gigabit ethernet.

Is that a product of Canon crippling a product to protect the market of another though? the 5D mk3 offers a better combination of AF and FPS than any other FF DSLR in the same price/size range has done. The 1D line on the other hand has remained competitive by moving to FF and upping its FPS to 12 rather than depending on lower level bodies being crippled.

Canon's problem seems to be that Nikon/Sony are targeting the high resolution market and they have so far not released a rival product.

JoeDavid

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 07:59:03 PM »
And how is APS-H any better? I always felt like it was the worst choice for wide-normal FLs (the ones you would normally use on a mirrorless camera). There is no decent non-L fast-50 Canon equivalent for APS-H (IMHO 35/2 is pretty bad). I guess that 28/1.8USM is a decent 35 on 1.3 crop, but that's all... It may be acceptable if they produce some nice APS-H format primes (like 12mm, 28mm, 40mm, 75mm), but then again it would fail at adapting EF/EF-S lenses (in term of vignetting, black edges and awkward FLs) and that's a deal-breaker for someone like me.

I shoot FF most of the time but I still enjoy shooting with my 1DM4 which is, of course, APS-H.  In a mirrorless body I'll take the largest sensor Canon is willing to put into it and, yes, I do shoot with L glass most of the time.  I'd be quite happy with a 1.3x sensor mirrorless body to use with the 14/2.8L, 24/1.4L, 35/1.4L, 50/1.2L... you get the idea.  Don't get me wrong, I'll take a mirrorless that is FF but I don't think Canon will produce one.  I don't really think they'll use APS-H either, so it will end up being something that I may buy as a backup for traveling light but not as my primary camera...

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 05:11:47 AM »

I shoot FF most of the time but I still enjoy shooting with my 1DM4 which is, of course, APS-H.  In a mirrorless body I'll take the largest sensor Canon is willing to put into it and, yes, I do shoot with L glass most of the time.  I'd be quite happy with a 1.3x sensor mirrorless body to use with the 14/2.8L, 24/1.4L, 35/1.4L, 50/1.2L... you get the idea.  Don't get me wrong, I'll take a mirrorless that is FF but I don't think Canon will produce one.  I don't really think they'll use APS-H either, so it will end up being something that I may buy as a backup for traveling light but not as my primary camera...

Nice L-prime collection :). However, those are pretty big and heavy lenses (expensive too) and I think that 5D3 is a better match considering the whole system size. That's why I would like to use non-L and manual primes on FF mirrorless. I just hope that it would cost less than $2000 ($1999? :) )
FF + primes !

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/canon-mirrorless-information-cr1/"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/canon-mirrorless-information-cr1/" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/05/canon-mirrorless-information-cr1/"></a></div>
<strong>It’s been a while<br />

</strong>Talk of a Canon mirrorless system has been pretty quiet the last few months, though there is a general assumption we’ll see one announced sometime in 2012.</p>
<p>The latest bits of information that has floated my way are below.</p>
<ul>
<li>Two Cameras</li>
<li>G1 X Sensor Size</li>
<li>APS-C a possibility in one camera</li>
<li>14 & 24 megapixels</li>
<li>EF compatibility, but not EF mount.</li>
<li>EVF on one camera</li>
<li>3-5 Lenses announced at launch.</li>
</ul>
<p>I suspect specifications for the new cameras have yet to be finalized and this sort of information will evolve over time.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I'll take one with APS-C sensor size.  ;)
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 07:50:48 AM »
Until Canon can solve theslow AF problem, The format of the sensor will be a mute point. In order to keep the size small APS-H sensor is a good compromise. Canon will come up a set of new lens. Therefore wide angle lens should be readily available,

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »
Until Canon can solve theslow AF problem, The format of the sensor will be a mute point. In order to keep the size small APS-H sensor is a good compromise. Canon will come up a set of new lens. Therefore wide angle lens should be readily available,

Nikon have already solved that problem in the J1/V1 with phase detect auto focus using the live sensor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 09:11:14 AM »

Rocky

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »

Nikon have already solved that problem in the J1/V1 with phase detect auto focus using the live sensor.
Nikon have it does not meanCanon can use it. Nikon may not let anyone use it. It is their trump card for mirrorless.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »