September 19, 2014, 02:21:55 AM

Author Topic: New Crop/APS-C Prosumer Camera Body in the Fall? [CR1]  (Read 13103 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New Crop/APS-C Prosumer Camera Body in the Fall? [CR1]
« on: May 09, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »
70D or 7D Mark II, or both?
Not a lot of talk about crop camera bodies, other than an imminent Rebel announcement with a couple of inexpensive lenses. However, over the last couple of days I’ve been sent a few things about the direction of the APS-C line of cameras. There is talk there will be an amalgamation of the 60D and 7D into one camera. Which means the xxD line would go back to being a higher end camera. No mention of whether it would be called 70D or 7D Mark II.

Do not expect a big megapixel jump from the current 18mp, though it was mentioned it would have a different image sensor than the T4i. The 60D and 7D may end up meeting in the middle as far as features and build quality. Especially if rumors of a new full frame camera in $2000 or less range are true.

I have heard in the past that there would be no direct 7D replacement, although I find that a little hard to believe. I do suspect there will be a shake-up of the APS-C lineup, as we’ve seen already with the EOS-1 and in the coming months the 5D.

There is no defined announcement date yet, but we’re told Canon may be announcing a new interchangeable lens camera every 6-8 weeks heading into Christmas.

EF-S Lenses
Beyond the coming 18-135 IS II, there isn’t a lot mentioned in regards to EF-S lenses.  The only other EF-S lens that has been mentioned is an IS Macro. We’ve heard both 60mm and 85mm IS macro EF-S lenses exist.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New Crop/APS-C Prosumer Camera Body in the Fall? [CR1]
« on: May 09, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: New Crop/APS-C Prosumer Camera Body in the Fall? [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:48:56 AM »
This is perfect  I will be replacing my 450D with this new 70D or maybe the entry level Full Frame.  Time to save some pennies.
6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

Edu

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:49:13 AM »
"as we’ve seen already with the EOS-1 and in the coming months the 5D"

Are you expecting Canon to release a low priced level 5D camera like supposedly Nikon intends to do with the rumored D600?  ;D

EDIT: OOOH you already linked new info thanks :)

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:51:22 AM »
MFA.  7D-like AF.  Magic Lantern compatible.      I'd pre-order one today.   In his interview with Planet5D, Chuck Westfall stated that Canon has no interest in Magic Lantern compatibility, I guess they have their reasons, but that's why I don't own an otherwise quite capable for my needs 7D.

PhotoCharlie

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:54:13 AM »
Just give me a 7D with Full Frame sensor and crop mode setting.  I'd love to have the current 7D, but am torn with my desire for the extra image quality of a full frame sensor.

40D owner with L and regular lenses

ctmike

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
Personally, I'll be purchasing before my honeymoon at the end of November... so I'm very curious what I'll be choosing from then. :)

MRW

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
I thought the 7D replacement was the 5D mk3?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »

Dalepa

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »
Since Canon took the time to deliver the 60Da, I was hoping for a 7Dn  n for nature.   

As a bird photographer, the 7d is almost perfect.     Almost every bird shot is 50% or greater cropped, and the 7D with 18MP density and fast focusing system is key...

The ONLY issue I have with the 7d is the buffer when shooting raw.  I often run use the 16 frames in 2 seconds and miss shots waiting...   

So the 7D is near perfect for me, so I hope they don't screw anything up with the next model.

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 12:47:31 PM »
After the last year, nothing Canon may do will surprise me.

Still, I'm having a hard time buying the idea that Canon will merge the 60D and 7D. They fit two very different niche markets and I can't see them conceding either to Nikon and others. Especially since the "prosumer" market is one of the most lucrative.

The real problem for the 60D is that it is too closely sized and spec'd to the Rebels, not to the 7D. Lots of room to move the 7D up in price with better sensor, better autofocus, better weathersealing and possibly even an integrated grip.

I have no interest in a full-frame body. Like I've said before, I'd rather have a top end mid-size car than a stripped-down full-sized version. If I'm honest with myself, I don't really need anything that the 7D doesn't already give me. I could be lured by better sensor, autofocus and weathersealing, but if Canon doesn't deliver this time around, I'll just buy a second 7D body from the refurbished store and wait them out. After all, if they are serious about new bodies every 6-8 weeks, I'm sure they'll come around soon enough.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

shtfmeister

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »

The ONLY issue I have with the 7d is the buffer when shooting raw.  I often run use the 16 frames in 2 seconds and miss shots waiting...   

have u tried a faster CF card?
I dont think Ive ever missed a shot from waiting on the buffer, other causes yes (other causes being my foul-ups)

Marine03

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 02:53:37 PM »
After the last year, nothing Canon may do will surprise me.

I have no interest in a full-frame body. Like I've said before, I'd rather have a top end mid-size car than a stripped-down full-sized version. If I'm honest with myself

You make a great point and that's the direction that I'll probably go in as well, I'd rather have all the bells and whistles in a crop sensor than in a camera thats just like my 450D but with a better sensor. 

If you merged today's 60D and 7D this is roughly the specs you would get if you met in the middle of the two which I could see happening if they bring an entry full frame in at 1800 or so. 

98% View finder
20MP
7FPS
New AF hopefully like 27pt
Composite body with weather proofing
No LCD on top
ISO 100-12800 expandable to 18000 sweet spot hopefully up through 6000
Dual Digic 5

6D, 450D(collecting dust), Nifty Fifty, 565EX Flash

stilscream

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 03:06:06 PM »
Since Canon took the time to deliver the 60Da, I was hoping for a 7Dn  n for nature.   

As a bird photographer, the 7d is almost perfect.     Almost every bird shot is 50% or greater cropped, and the 7D with 18MP density and fast focusing system is key...

So the 7D is near perfect for me, so I hope they don't screw anything up with the next model.

really? Your timing is so bad you need more than 2 full seconds of a moment?? Maybe you should just stick to video recording and picking frames out of it. 720 @60fps should give you 1 you like, no?
7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

unfocused

• View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »

really? Your timing is so bad you need more than 2 full seconds of a moment?? Maybe you should just stick to video recording and picking frames out of it. 720 @60fps should give you 1 you like, no?

That's quite rude. How do you know what Dalepa is shooting and what his/her needs might be?

Just one more reason to mourn the end of Karma.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
a touch screen addition, same autofocus and plastic body of 60d... actual price of 7d with a nice 20% for the marketing research of the new name...subpar sensor but hdr in camera just like a compact camera from casio (respect to casio)
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

Stone

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »
The 7D NEEDS an update, I think it would be quite silly of Canon to either not replace it or take it slightly down market.  There needs to be an APS-C flagship if Canon is serious about staying with the format.

To be a proper APS-C flagship, the 7DII needs:

• 100% viewfinder
  • Dual Digic V
  • The same 18MP sensor with improved DR
  • Clean ISO 12,800
  • 10 fps with a decently sized buffer
  • 61 pt AF from the 5DIII
  • The usual video improvements
  • I'd even consider a builtin portrait grip like the 1 series bodies
It would be a dream camera for those who can't afford the 1 series or need the extra reach of APS-C.  Charge $2-$2.5K and you have a winner. :)

5D III gripped | 7D gripped | 35L | 24-70 2.8L II USM | 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | 85 1.8 |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 05:28:50 PM »