September 18, 2014, 04:03:16 PM

Author Topic: New 5D Mark III Firmware Before the End of May [CR2]  (Read 29439 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
New 5D Mark III Firmware Before the End of May [CR2]
« on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »
Scheduled
There is apparently going to be new 5D Mark III firmware before the end of May. It will address a few bugs, as well as adding some “features”. No mention of what the features might be. It was mentioned there is a possibility of a bug fix firmware update before the “feature” update, a two part strategy if you will.

There have been no mentions of additional features for video.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

New 5D Mark III Firmware Before the End of May [CR2]
« on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »

elusive1

Re: New 5D Mark III Firmware Before the End of May [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »
No video features? That's what it needs the most.

The 5D3 is a pretty capable still camera, but for video when compared to the D800, it lacks several major / almost crucial features - clean HDMI, Crop Modes and true HD. It strange... Canon used to be the video DSLR company, now D800 seems to be taking over in that department, amongst other things.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:03:36 PM »
A simple focus peak feature for video in live view would be a killer and a quick win for Canon...
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

transpo1

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:05:23 PM »
I hope they unlock new video features. I'm sticking with my 5Dii for video right now, but if they added clean HDMI 8-bit 4:2:2 out, zebras, and focus peaking, I'd upgrade for that.

I'd upgrade ESPECIALLY if they unlock more video resolution from the sensor and processor.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:10:30 PM by transpo1 »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »
What it really needs is the viewfinder issues with focussing fixing IMO  >:(

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »
It seems that some people in this thread are looking at the wrong camera. This camera is designed mainly for still photography, NOT video.

Video is just a small "side bonus" on the 5D3, so don't be so surprised if Canon doesn't give you the features you want. They are saving all the good stuff for the 1DC-line. That is where you should be looking.

For video when compared to the D800, it lacks several major / almost crucial features.
Same as with the still photography features.  ;)

Alas, it is a shame that most of the missing features can't be added by firmware. Like more resolution, more DR, and spot metering linked to selected AF point. (Just to name a few).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 12:34:41 PM by Ricku »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »
Will it have a feature to search the net and nuke redundant posts in threads that cover the same sh*t over and over?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:00:02 PM »

joonrhee

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:11:56 PM »
I would like to know if this firmware update would fix the IS noise issue between 200/2.  This annoying issue alone is holding me back from trying out the 5D3 before the 1DX release.  Any idea?

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »
It seems that some people in this thread are looking at the wrong camera. This camera is designed mainly for still photography, NOT video.

Video is just a small "side bonus" on the 5D3, so don't be so surprised if Canon doesn't give you the features you want. They are saving all the good stuff for the 1DC-line. That is where you should be looking.

I'm guessing video is a large part of the reason why they stuck with 22 MP, its ISO performance seems to be vastly superior to the D800 from the tests I'v seen.

Perhaps not ideal for feature film/TV work but I'd guess exactly what many event photgraphers want from video performance.

John Thomas

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »

For video when compared to the D800, it lacks several major / almost crucial features.
Same as with the still photography features.  ;)

Alas, it is a shame that most of the missing features can't be added by firmware. Like more resolution, more DR, and spot metering linked to selected AF point. (Just to name a few).

Spot metering linked to selected AF point can be done, I think. Evaluative metering is linked to selected AF point.

Also, regarding of DR I remember now Nikon D80. In its initial release there were an awful noise at high ISOs. But later they corrected that through firmware.

Ok, I don't think that they can do wonders, but I know that they can tweak the DiGIC registers in order to obtain better Dynamic Range:

The surprise comes from a little ISO test, which shows that ML can
improve dynamic range and highlight rolloff in movie mode (see
attached files). How much? Let's find the answer together by running a
little experiment.

The above quote is snipped from

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/ml-devel/PK1SX33ewRg

Before putting my wishlist, I think that's quite important to understand that we must give as much feedback as possible (in quantity and quality) in order to make from 5DMk3 the best camera around. And I know that this is possible because the best camera is the one which will allow us to take the best shots not the one which looks best on paper. 

Look at PC / Win vs Mac. Wins the one which helps you better to get your job done.
I can easily prove that "Linux is better" (no flamewars please - thank you). But how many of us have Linux on our computer?

We need to make from 5DMk3 the tool which fits our needs. And for this we must communicate our needs firstly not mainly our solutions. Think outside the box. Sometimes helps.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »
Seems the video is still pretty okay if you use it right.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=2375
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
1. improved Auto-ISO function! Primarily adding exposure correction for "M" mode on Auto-ISO.  That would be really easy to fix in firmware and make Auto-ISO a lot  more useful.

2. red illuminated AF-point/s also in AI-Servo mode. I guess that one will definitely be on the list.

3. I don't ever use video at all. I would therefore like to get a 5D III with all video + related features completely disabled in firmware, with the sole exception of LiveView. Sold at a substantially discounted price - less than a Nikon D800. Lets say € 2.500 ... and I'll immediately buy one! :-) 

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »

Or waiting for the 5D-C, which has to be coming soon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »

bkorcel

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »
I would like to see some optimizations that would extend battey life.  BG-E11 will help.  But the battery life could use some improvement.  There are a lot of bells and whistles to power on this model...and the addition of lighted focus points in servo mode wont help.  Hope that is configurable when it's fixed.

Id also like to see the annoying problem of having the camera switch the default card when a card is removed (EVEN WHEN THE POWER IS OFF!).  Very annoying to have to reset that.  The default card should remain the default card unless it's powered on with one of the cards missing.

Makes me think maybe we have a battery drain issue when powered off if the camera can detect that cards have been removed and re-inserted.

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »
I would like to see some optimizations that would extend battey life.  BG-E11 will help.  But the battery life could use some improvement.  There are a lot of bells and whistles to power on this model...and the addition of lighted focus points in servo mode wont help.  Hope that is configurable when it's fixed.

Id also like to see the annoying problem of having the camera switch the default card when a card is removed (EVEN WHEN THE POWER IS OFF!).  Very annoying to have to reset that.  The default card should remain the default card unless it's powered on with one of the cards missing.

Makes me think maybe we have a battery drain issue when powered off if the camera can detect that cards have been removed and re-inserted.

How many images do you get pr charge? I get 900 on a battery that is missing one of the three green squares, showing battery capacity. That's in fact double what I had with the same battery on the 5d2.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 03:28:10 PM »