October 22, 2014, 12:51:41 AM

Author Topic: New 5D Mark III Firmware Before the End of May [CR2]  (Read 30152 times)

Radiating

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: New 5D Mark III Firmware Before the End of May [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »
I really hope they:

1. change the way AF point illumination works, allows you to see the AF point.

2. change the way servo AF point illumination works so you can see the AF point you're using.

3. Allow you to set the upper right most button on the back to zoom like before so you can use it with one hand.

4. Allow you to disable the limits of auto ISO

5. Allow you to use flash with AEB at least in manual mode.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 03:39:44 PM »

bkorcel

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 03:53:52 PM »
I would like to see some optimizations that would extend battey life.  BG-E11 will help.  But the battery life could use some improvement.  There are a lot of bells and whistles to power on this model...and the addition of lighted focus points in servo mode wont help.  Hope that is configurable when it's fixed.

Id also like to see the annoying problem of having the camera switch the default card when a card is removed (EVEN WHEN THE POWER IS OFF!).  Very annoying to have to reset that.  The default card should remain the default card unless it's powered on with one of the cards missing.

Makes me think maybe we have a battery drain issue when powered off if the camera can detect that cards have been removed and re-inserted.

How many images do you get pr charge? I get 900 on a battery that is missing one of the three green squares, showing battery capacity. That's in fact double what I had with the same battery on the 5d2.

I am seeing about 500 with 32% left on battery with 3 green squares.  I switch between two batteries between chargings and both get about the same life.  It is possibly also a factor of which lens is used.  I have been primarily using a 300 2.8 IS.

Chris Geiger

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »
I am getting over 1,200 shots per battery (wedding photography). I am very happy with the battery performance. I put one fresh battery in each body and I can shoot the whole day. I keep a spare in the car but have not needed it.

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 04:47:31 PM »
Id also like to see the annoying problem of having the camera switch the default card when a card is removed (EVEN WHEN THE POWER IS OFF!).  Very annoying to have to reset that.  The default card should remain the default card unless it's powered on with one of the cards missing.

This kind of drive batty too.

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:18:20 PM »
^^^YES!!!!  That drives me crazy and I just thought I had set something up wrong.  I does not happen in "standard" setting but seems to happen if I set the camera to switch to the secondary card (in my case the SD card) if the CF card fill up.  As a result I just keep the setting to standard and set the primary card to CF.
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 05:31:38 PM »
But how many of us have Linux on our computer?

Err....I do on most of my computers at home....and the servers I work with at work...

:)

I'm actually anxious to play with the newly released version of the Open Source version of Photoshop, the GIMP:  http://www.gimp.org/ on my linux, windows and mac boxes....

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »
Will it have a feature to search the net and nuke redundant posts in threads that cover the same sh*t over and over?
I wouldn't hold your breath :P.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 06:04:57 PM »

wshinji

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 07:41:06 PM »
I hope they found the bug where the camera frekin wont turn back on and needs the battery removed and inserted again to kick back into action.

Easy fix right....

bkorcel

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 08:40:19 PM »
I am getting over 1,200 shots per battery (wedding photography). I am very happy with the battery performance. I put one fresh battery in each body and I can shoot the whole day. I keep a spare in the car but have not needed it.

Wow!  I shoot wildlife so I use a lot of AF Servo and mode 2 IS.  Might be the difference.  I cant imagine using either of those for weddings.  Maybe IS in some low light instances. 

npc2396

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »
I would like to see some optimizations that would extend battey life.  BG-E11 will help.  But the battery life could use some improvement.  There are a lot of bells and whistles to power on this model...and the addition of lighted focus points in servo mode wont help.  Hope that is configurable when it's fixed.

Makes me think maybe we have a battery drain issue when powered off if the camera can detect that cards have been removed and re-inserted.

The default card switching is driving me nuts, i would love to see that fixed.

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 11:17:41 PM »
Man, all these great ideas everyone is sharing here, but is anyone submitting their gripes/suggestions to Canon?  This rant and rave reminds of me of when people complain or talk about someone behind their backs.  The communication never gets to the culprit and so they keep doing what they are doing and the complainer keeps complaining.  An endless loop.

I do hope some of you or most of you send these excellent suggestions directly to Canon.  That way they are aware of the suggestions, gripes etc and deploy these via firmware, updates, upgrades etc. if and whenever possible.

Ex.  I wrote to Canon support the other day about DPP not offering a very simple command called RENAME.  RENAME should appear in a right click (i.e. context menu) on a photo but does not.  Each to time I rename an image I have to shell out to Windows Explorer and perform this task.  (Yes I am aware of the batch process but that is multi stepped. I also know you can rename a folder but why no single photo/file?)   I finally got fed up and instead of griping here I wrote to support and received the following reply from Rodney in Canon Support:  "We appreciate your continued correspondence regarding the EOS 5D Mark III and Canon software.  A rename option in Digital Photo Professional is a very good suggestion.  We thank you for this feedback and I will make sure to pass this along towards the appropriate parties for consideration. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your inquiry about the EOS 5D Mark III and Canon software.  Thank you for choosing Canon."  So let's take all of these great suggestions and get them in the hands of the people that can do something.  To get you started here's the email for Canon support:  eosdigitalsupport@cits.canon.com.
 Lastly (and I hope you do send your valuable comments to them) please share with us the reply you have received.

PS I am going to start this as a New Topic as well
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

bkorcel

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »
Man, all these great ideas everyone is sharing here, but is anyone submitting their gripes/suggestions to Canon? 

Constantly but always get back the same response...

"Thank you for writing to us about your EOS 5D Mark III.  We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
We are grateful for the suggestions you have made regarding the EOS 5D Mark III.  We have made note of these and they will be passed along to the appropriate party.  We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.  Thank you for taking the time to write.
Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS 5D Mark III. Thank you for choosing Canon.
Sincerely,
Michael
Technical Support Representative"

Fandongo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
I hope they unlock new video features. I'm sticking with my 5Dii for video right now, but if they added clean HDMI 8-bit 4:2:2 out, zebras, and focus peaking, I'd upgrade for that.

I'd upgrade ESPECIALLY if they unlock more video resolution from the sensor and processor.

Clean out: YES!
Zebras: Meh, I prefer spot metering...however, a small floating spot meter that pops up in the center of over exposed (red) and under exposed (blue) area would be incredible.
It would use less juice than constant scribbles all over the screen.
Peaking:  Maybe, it's definitely useful on a 3" screen... ML of course, has all these options.

ML: Firmware
Canon: Flimsyware/limpware/gimpware.
"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 10:02:17 AM »
1. improved Auto-ISO function! Primarily adding exposure correction for "M" mode on Auto-ISO.  That would be really easy to fix in firmware and make Auto-ISO a lot  more useful.

2. red illuminated AF-point/s also in AI-Servo mode. I guess that one will definitely be on the list.

3. I don't ever use video at all. I would therefore like to get a 5D III with all video + related features completely disabled in firmware, with the sole exception of LiveView. Sold at a substantially discounted price - less than a Nikon D800. Lets say € 2.500 ... and I'll immediately buy one! :-)
+1  ;D

mart9802

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:41 PM »
Soooo.... it's now June - any more news Mr. OP? Did this appear and I missed it?
Thanks,
M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 02:49:41 PM »