December 21, 2014, 03:35:42 AM

Author Topic: replacement for the 7D anyone heard anything?????  (Read 31107 times)

oshy_photo

replacement for the 7D anyone heard anything?????
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:56:58 AM »
Hi everyone it come to that time in life where i have to upgrade my current 450D is due for an upgrade and i was looking at the 7D but i really dont want to get the 7D and then 1 month later hear that a replacement has come out for the 7D that would really piss me off!
so has anyone heard anything on a 7D mk II or 6D or 8D anything!!
cheers

canon rumors FORUM

replacement for the 7D anyone heard anything?????
« on: February 22, 2011, 03:56:58 AM »

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: replacement for the 7D anyone heard anything?????
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 05:01:33 AM »
Hi everyone it come to that time in life where i have to upgrade my current 450D is due for an upgrade and i was looking at the 7D but i really dont want to get the 7D and then 1 month later hear that a replacement has come out for the 7D that would really piss me off!
cheers
General concensus on here seems to be that the 7D is safe at least until the end of this year and possibly until next year.

Just buy it; it's a joy to use! It just *FEELS* so nice!

Martin
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

Gothmoth

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 05:34:02 AM »
wait... some day there will be a MK3 maybe.  ;)

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »
feels like we've seen this same question maybe a half a dozen times on the forum in the last few months.  the answer hasn't changed:

the 7D was released 3Q of 2009.  based on a standard 3-year production cycle, it's not likely to be replaced until 3Q of 2012.  that's a year and a half away, so:

don't worry about it and go buy a 7D, and then enjoy shooting!

also, in the future, please spend some time browsing the forums to see if other people have already had the same question and had it answered.  It's a little bit of courtesy to all the regulars on the forums who take the time to help others out with their camera questions.  thanks!

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 03:23:24 PM »
cheers

As has already been stated, the 7D upgrade is probably about 18 months out.  That said, there are other things to consider beyond just a new model: you must also factor cost and availability. 

On cost, keep in mind that camera body updates are rarely priced at the previous model's starting point.  So a 7D update may be closer to $2,499 upon first release.  For example, the 5D MKIII update (also known as the 6D) is being rumored to retail at $3,499 - that's $1,000 more than the current MKII pricing.  So already you're spending more money for features you won't even know you'll need/use.

Regarding availability, new models are often VERY hard to find in stock (if not totally impossible) for the first few months after release.  If you're not a pro-photographer, or have the money to pay full price to a dealer on a pre-order, you're not going to have much luck locating a new model at initial release.  Unless you want to pay a premium on eBay or Craigslist - which will again add to the total cost, because you'll have a hundred other camera nerds bidding up the price to get their mitts on the hot new product.

So in reality, the 7D will probably hold its value above $1,000 for about 24 more months.  New models can actually help maintain the value of an older model, because people simply don't want to spend $3,000 on the latest and greatest, when the previous version works just fine.

Now, not considering resale value, the 7D will be a worthy semi-pro camera for MANY years to come, and will serve you just fine as a primary or backup camera for as long as you have it.  So don't feel like you need to wait - go buy it - and have fun shooting!

sigh

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »
It's a piece of technology, there are always going to be rumors of a replacement.  The 7D though is still a relatively new camera when it comes to the typical life cycle of Canon's higher end cameras which don't get replaced nearly as often as the Rebels and T series.  If you wait for the next big thing to come out, you will end up never buying anything.

Do yourself a favor and go out and buy a 7D, mine comes tomorrow and heck even if the replacement comes out in a few months, there's not guarentee that it will be the same price (as justsomedude mentioned) or even that worthwhile of an upgrade.  So stop worrying and go get yourself a new camera!

G1

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »
Hello All,

I'm new to this Forum & like you all I keep checking this space for rumours & news on Canon.

Since 7D is already a big gear in the market with all it's features. How it would be if Canon releases 7D MkII with an articulated screen + other software updates.

I think Canon should think of it ...what do you say friends ??

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »

adamdoesmovies

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »
They seem to be testing the waters with the 60D, and now the T3i. So far, many people like them. Also, a number of Sony and Nikon SLR's have them, especially the models suited for video enthusiasts. Based on these factors, 7D mkII will likely have the articulating screen as well.

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »
I don't think they will put a swivel screen on the 7D2. The 7D is a great camera for video and a swivel screen is great for video but, another key feature of the 7D is the rugged, sturdy construction. I think a swivel screen is the opposite of that.

If you want a swivel screen on a camera that takes great video then just buy a 60D. There is no reason to put one on the 7D too.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:31:01 PM »
I don't think they will put a swivel screen on the 7D2. The 7D is a great camera for video and a swivel screen is great for video but, another key feature of the 7D is the rugged, sturdy construction. I think a swivel screen is the opposite of that.

If you want a swivel screen on a camera that takes great video then just buy a 60D. There is no reason to put one on the 7D too.

+1

Agreed... a swivel screen weakens the body (in my opinion), aside from just giving the appearance of it being "cheap"/"enthusiast" all around.  I have never been impressed with the swivel screens and would never use one.  If Canon put one on a 7D or 5D, I for one would never buy it.

SaucyCrackers

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
I think the articulated screen adds protection to the screen itself. You won't be accidentally scratching the LCD when it's not in use, and you don't even have to open it up to use the camera, you can just view your settings on the top LCD. It would be nice if Canon could do a put an articulated screen on the 7D mark II, but making it mag-alloy like the rest of the body and putting good weather sealing on it.

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
I think the articulated screen adds protection to the screen itself. You won't be accidentally scratching the LCD when it's not in use, and you don't even have to open it up to use the camera, you can just view your settings on the top LCD. It would be nice if Canon could do a put an articulated screen on the 7D mark II, but making it mag-alloy like the rest of the body and putting good weather sealing on it.

I meant strength of the body in general - not protecting just the screen.  The added bends, seams, etc. I think would weaken the body - which is why no "pro" level DSLr has an articulated screen.    ...yet.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »
An articulated screen 7D would be AWESOME. I've had the 7D and a 60D, and having a swivel screen is a HUGE plus, especially for strange angle shots. I don't use the swivel much, but for certain situations it's great.

Maybe having a fixed screen might make the camera little stronger, but pluses of a swivel screen for composition far outweigh the minuses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »

SaucyCrackers

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 12:55:39 AM »

I meant strength of the body in general - not protecting just the screen.  The added bends, seams, etc. I think would weaken the body - which is why no "pro" level DSLr has an articulated screen.    ...yet.

Hmm... maybe that's the reason the 60D didn't inherit the mag-alloy body from the 50D. It would go way out of the price range for the xxD line if the 60D had a mag-alloy body. Is the 50D considered a "pro" camera? If so, then the 60D is the first "pro" camera to have an articulated screen.

Fleetie

• Canon 70D
  • Watching for pigs on the wing
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 03:20:52 AM »
I would not want an articulated screen in the 7DII or the 5DIII. It does not seem to be in keeping with the required robustness of the high-end "prosumer" cameras, that are well-regarded for being tough, built well, and weather-sealed.

Also, as a strictly stills-only photographer, rather than a "videographer", I don't need an articulating screen.

Martin
Canon 5D3  ,  70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II ,  24-105mm f/4 L IS  ,  50mm f/1.4  ,  85mm f/1.8 ,  EF 2x III
Olympus OM2-SP , 50mm f/1.2 , 55mm f/1.2 , 50mm f/1.4 Silvernose , 135mm f/2.8 , 28mm f/2.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 03:20:52 AM »