July 22, 2014, 05:54:34 PM

Author Topic: I have a question about wedding photography  (Read 7960 times)

adamoe

I have a question about wedding photography
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:40:15 AM »
Hi guys so i just shot a wedding the other weekend, Started 7am, finished 10pm, took 1600 pictures. i went through and Edited them all - threw away bad ones etc - gave the couple 726 nice edited pictures, then a folder with 100 favorites in 3 different color edits (black white , antique and bright n puffy)  - so i think im done .. great..

then the bride / groom calls and tells me they wanted / expected to sit down with me - and go over all the pictures with me and edit them all with me - and also - they want all the raw pictures (50gb) is this crazy?!? or am i crazy for thinking i dont want to sit down with them and Edit together?!?

I've attached just a few of the pics i took that i liked. mmm seems i can only post 4 pics here.. oh well

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:13:00 PM by adamoe »

canon rumors FORUM

I have a question about wedding photography
« on: May 10, 2012, 12:40:15 AM »

nightbreath

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Свадебный фотограф в Днепропетровске
Re: I have a question about wedding photography
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 08:57:51 AM »
Hi adamoe,

If I were on your place I'd say: "this is how I do my work, if you want it to be done in another way – find another person". I'd also export all the photos without editing and give them to do that the way they like.
Wedding photography. My personal website: http://luxuryphoto.com.ua

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:39:24 AM »
Ouch, this is tricky. With hindsight (not helpful, I know), it should be clear how things are going to be done well in advance. Do you have a written agreement/contract?

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
Ordinarily they don't do this however it seems a tactful way of saying they don't like their photos and to be honest, they're hideously over edited. Nothing wrong with the shots, positioning etc, just the editing.

Maybe it's a style that people like but if I handed the couple those photos I'd expect to be sued.

I'd offer to give them the RAW files. Highly unusual but so is your work.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 09:48:52 AM »
Whats in your contract?

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
I think "hideously overedited" is a bit of an overstatement. I can see that you've gone for a soft, dreamy look, but the skin tones are just too flat and 'airbrushed'. It looks like you've just grabbed a colour dropper in photoshop and painted over their skin with a soft brush :/   I think if you fixed up the skin by easing off on the airbrushing, they'd be lovely shots.  At the moment they're just too plastic-looking for my tastes.

EDIT:

It's senseless being critical without putting forward some advice, so here all I've done is increase the midtone contrast (clarity/curves) to show you what I mean. Her face retains more shape and there isn't the same "glow" intensity. Obviously you'll be able to do better with the raw files.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:05:23 AM by Z »

castillophotodesign

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »
Ordinarily they don't do this however it seems a tactful way of saying they don't like their photos and to be honest, they're hideously over edited. Nothing wrong with the shots, positioning etc, just the editing.

Maybe it's a style that people like but if I handed the couple those photos I'd expect to be sued.

a little harsh but i agree with you the photos seem over edited, but I am also guessing that the couple saw his work before they hired him.... so they must have liked his style.

Also it does seem a like a pain to edit all the photos with the couple, i think that would make me uncomfortable as well.
Canon 5D Mark III & Canon EOS M
100mm Macro F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L IS II, 24-70 F2.8L II, Canon 100-400L, Canon 16-35 F2.8 L II, TC 1.4X, TC 2X

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:01:21 AM »

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 10:09:18 AM »
Ok Ok, granted, Hideous was a poor choice of words.

50 weddings a year and I've never been asked by the couple to be present during editing. To me, this seems a polite way to say they're unhappy.

Rather than edit everything again give them the RAW files which is what they really want.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

SteenerMe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »
Shots look ok...but they seem to be edited by glamour shots...back away from the gaussian blur.
5DIII, 7D, 8-15L, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 50L, 100L

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »
Ordinarily they don't do this however it seems a tactful way of saying they don't like their photos
At the moment they're just too plastic-looking for my tastes.
I agree with these sentiments, and I'd venture a guess that either one of them has some photo knowledge, or they have a friend that does, thus why they'd want the RAW files (to process their own way).
The other option, if you're comfortable with it, is to take the meeting and see what they are looking for specifically. Maybe it's a few simple changes (backing off the highlights, less brushing, etc), and then offering to re-do them in that style. Don't let them sit their for the entire editing, but, give them a few other options for how the photos might be processed.

It could avoid a messy situation, while also not dealing with the awkwardness that would be them sitting in on your entire edit (which would take significantly longer).

Do you have your webpage? Are these a departure from your normal style? Cause that will matter too. If all your other stuff looks the same, I'd be less inclined to change the photos, but, if they aren't what you feature on your site, then they'd have a point.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »
hmmm....  I like your style but I also, objectively, can see how it could be perceived as "over-edited" and soft.  I never let my clients view RAW unedited files as I have too much pride to let my clients walk out the door with photos that haven't gone through any editing/retouching.  I have heard of wedding photographers offer their photos in a slide show type of fashion initially to kind of prepare the clients for the files they are about to receive and build anticipation, and also bring them in for the formal viewing... Not of raw files but your final edits to gauge their reactions (if they seem underwhelmed or anything or wish to see any variation of a certain shot, you can show them on the fly.  Also a formal viewing is a great sales tool if you have a nice lab to get print orders.  I wouldn't give them raws or let them edit it unless they pay you extra for your time and effort, but that's just me. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

sach100

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 10:17:01 AM »
 I think the skin areas look overdone. Otherwise IMO the shots themselves are pretty good.
If it's just that, maybe you could re-edit few of them with more natural looking skin. It's not an yes/ no situation.
Only you will be able to guess what's on their mind. Anycase, unhappy clients is no good either..

5D MkIII

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:30 AM »
you've done waaaaaaaaaay too much already and never ever give out raws...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 10:23:30 AM »

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »
The most important thing is to make this as a business decision, NOT as a personal decision. You have to do what is best for your future business, which probably means giving them most, but not all, that they want.

I certainly wouldn't hand over 1,600 unedited RAW files to anyone, just as I would never show someone contact sheets in the film days. People will hone in on every frame, looking for the mistakes and then bad mouth you to everyone they know.

If they are rational and not angry, I'd try to meet with them in person and get a better idea of what they want. If you feel you can deliver, then try to do that. If not, then politely decline and offer an alternative: which might include giving them the files for the 726 pictures you picked out but in a form that won't embarrass you should they simply send them to Walgreens to have prints made.

There's a part of me that says, call them and say: Sure, come on over.  How many hours do you really think they'd sit there watching you edit 1,600 photos? But, that's the devil in me talking. :)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Orion

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »
I guess the first mistake was to make those 100 edits in 3 different settings. The first and ONLY thing you should do when presenting the bride and groom the photos is the originals with only minor edits like sharpness and colour, etc . . that's it. Basic post, and maybe some cropping. Just capture the day with good composition, and lose the "white and puffy" look.

Then, and ONLY THEN, IF the bride and groom ask for artistic edits, you let them select which ones they want and negotiate a price difference, if viable. . . .

edit:

I just did my FIRST wedding, and these are some of the ones they REALLY LOVED . . and since it was my first, any edits I do will be a pleasure for me so that I can work on my portfolio, etc.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=819.msg120547#new
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:43:37 AM by Orion »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 10:39:14 AM »