July 28, 2014, 10:59:03 AM

Author Topic: Selling Lenses to Adorama Used Store  (Read 5366 times)

dturano

Re: Selling Lenses to Adorama Used Store
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 11:45:18 PM »
I think most dealers gear is hit or miss on used purchase prices, its only normal, they have to take it in and make it worth there while.  I watch paw stars (which i hear is fixed) and cringe, "why didn't they just leave and sell it on ebay or CL" and "Wow there is a lot of civil war guns in the dessert and other rare $&#*" :)

I recently sold a 24-70mm f/2.8 L to cameta camera, my local camera dealer, i was purchasing some new gear, i had a number in my head as rock bottom on CL I would accept, they offered me a fair price, i can't remember exactly but was happy.  I got some real low ball offers on CL.  I was happy with the deal and put as a discount for funds I was already planning to allocate towards new gear.  There was a guy at the same time selling a 17-55mm and a 7d and got offered a really low deal, i was shocked, even if the 7d sells low used market today, they 17-55mm is a solid lens i assumed held its value.  I think the combo offer was lower than what i got for the used 24-70mm, cameta sells used gear but also is a huge ebay vendor, they price used stuff very well and pay good prices.

I always try CL and usually make more with ebay but hate the hassel, although with paypal payment popping up at local stores I may reconsider. 

Do a test list of a 5d mark II or 7d, and you will see CL or at least the used market is very dead.  Fredmiranda seems to be a good outlet but i never used them.

I posted a 7d and got several offers from $400-$600, I know have a backup body :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 11:45:18 PM »

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 06:49:16 AM »
......they quoted me a price on each individual item, and I accepted three of their prices (D90 for $450, 50mm f/1.4 for $175, etc., all in mint condition). ......I think I saw my exact same D90 on sale at their website for $800 the next day).

Our turnaround isn't that fast - all items go to be inspected by a minimum of 2 people for grading purposes, cleaning and packaging, before they are posted onto the website. The pictures that you see are stock photos provided by the manufacturers.
We receive several hundred items for evaluation every single day, and there are currently 25 - 26,000 used items in our distribution center right now.

......I would never use Adorama again to sell my used equipment to.

I was really very sorry to read of your experience, and do understand why you would be reluctant to consider trading with Adorama in the future.
I can't ID your transaction from the information you have given. If you would like to email me: Helen@adorama.com with your transaction number I will certainly go over the figures and check whether an error was made.

Just a note about why selling to Adorama is never going to achieve the same results as selling privately:
we cover the cost of customers mailing their gear in for evaulation (and sending it back if we can't agree a price);  time taken for repairs / servicing / cleaning; warehousing & advertising; our 30 day returns period - and on most gear, a 6-month warranty.
On the plus side, if you trade up, then you can offset the sum offered by Adorama against a new item - for tax purposes.
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 06:49:16 AM »