April 16, 2014, 10:39:17 PM

Author Topic: Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT - I'm impressed!  (Read 22447 times)

Strobe the globe

• PowerShot G16
  • 60D | 10-22mm, 18-200mm, 50mm | Speedlite 600EX-RT
    • View Profile
    • Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
The pricing of the new flash appears to vary (a lot) by retailer. In many instances on eBay (mainly) you can find the new 600EX-RT for a lot less money than the 580EX II ???

I've purchased a T2i and a 7D over the years off these guys in South of England (UK), so I know that they're kosher, but the old 580EX II for $200 more than a new 600EX-RT? Plus they've been running these prices for several months now, on eBay too.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/DigiGood/Camera-Flashes-/_i.html?_fsub=9843257&_sid=55627949&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Just be careful if you are buying a "grey import" from eBay etc. Check that it comes with at least a 1-year warranty, which allows you to get the speedlite serviced in the country that you are buying it in. Otherwise you might be paying expensive postage if there's an issue. I was given this advice before buying a lens - and was glad I got the warranty from my country - as there were issues that I had to get fixed.

canon rumors FORUM

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT - I'm impressed!
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 11:57:08 AM »
I have two of them, but when I set Master on camera and Slave off camera, I cannot get the Master to also flash, only the Slave.  On a 5D Mark III.

Hmm...check your settings...

I have 2x of them, and depending on how I set the master on camera, I can have it flash same times as the slave, or just set the slave to fire.

There is a setting on the flash where you can tell master to fire or not fire and just control the slave....

cayenne

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »
@ impressed:
YES!!!
After using the PW TT1 and 5, keep the protocol switching them on (f51c= flash, pw on flash, pw on cam, cam); then the first blown out picture, unreliable (better after 2 years or more tolerant....)
The Canon RT: switch on, wait 2 seconds- HERE WE ARE!!!
Yes, not cheap. But it made me sick to miss shots.

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT - beware of grey imports with no warranties.
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »
Just be careful if you are buying a "grey import" from eBay etc. Check that it comes with at least a 1-year warranty, which allows you to get the speedlite serviced in the country that you are buying it in.

I concur for lenses and camera bodies, but I'd risk to say if a Canon Speedlite breaks down in less than a year even with a lot of usage it's probably your fault so the warranty won't be any good... correct me if I'm wrong, but camera bodies (shutter) and lenses (is, af) with more mechanical moving parts seem more likely to fail due to a factory problem.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »
Just be careful if you are buying a "grey import" from eBay etc. Check that it comes with at least a 1-year warranty, which allows you to get the speedlite serviced in the country that you are buying it in.

I concur for lenses and camera bodies, but I'd risk to say if a Canon Speedlite breaks down in less than a year even with a lot of usage it's probably your fault so the warranty won't be any good... correct me if I'm wrong, but camera bodies (shutter) and lenses (is, af) with more mechanical moving parts seem more likely to fail due to a factory problem.

I remember reading something a few months ago that flash power affects flash life a lot.  The more power used, the more heat is discharged, which causes the tubes to develop microfissures and ultimately crack, which is another reason why heavy users will gang multiple flashes (besides decreasing recycling time).

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 06:21:33 PM »
I remember reading something a few months ago that flash power affects flash life a lot.  The more power used, the more heat is discharged, which causes the tubes to develop microfissures and ultimately crack, which is another reason why heavy users will gang multiple flashes (besides decreasing recycling time).

Sure, but the question is - how often will this happen in less than a year? My guess is not when you're not full time using it in high power / hss mode , so warranty won't matter since you'll pay for the repairs yourself anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »