December 19, 2014, 03:16:18 AM

Author Topic: Should I upgrade to a 60D?  (Read 1670 times)

catmelon

Should I upgrade to a 60D?
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »
I know this is a question everyone hates but:

I'm currently with a 450D/XSI and have wanted to upgrade for a while mainly to have video functionality and better ISO performance.  At this point I only like using the 450D at an ISO no higher than 800 because at 1600 it just looks terrible to me.  Is the 60D a significant improvement over the 450D in that regard?  What's the highest usable ISO with the 60D (in your opinion).

I was originally going to wait until Canon released a 70D/7DmkII or something, but with 60D prices the way they are now, and the fact the 60D can run Magic Lantern today makes me want to bite the bullet. Plus the money savings could be later spent on a new lens or external flash.

Anyway, if anyone would like to put in some input I'd greatly appreciate it.

canon rumors FORUM

Should I upgrade to a 60D?
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »

hyles

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Should I upgrade to a 60D?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:15:59 PM »
I use it @ 3200 ISO with good result.  I don't know how much is better, but the 60D it is a great improvemente over 450D.
Diego

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »
I made that exact upgrade, but I did it well over a year ago and I managed to snag it new for $829.  One of the reasons I upgraded was for the video capabilities.  I understood that it didn't have autofocus, but I didn't realize how much that would impact the functionality of the video for someone just looking to take some casual videos.  If you've never used manual focus for video before you should know that it is NOT easy to use.  If that's your main motivation for picking up the 60D, the money would be better spent on a real video camera if you value autofocus.  Personally, I only use video on my 60D in a pinch.  I've since purchased an HD video camera for every day use.

As for the ISO, there's definitely an improvement there - no question about it.  I too was wary of anything over 800 with the XSi and normally kept it at 400.  However with the 60D I normally have mine set to a max of 1600 and then just select "auto" and let the camera pick whatever it wants while I'm in aperture priority mode.  I've never been disappointed with the noise at those settings.  I have used it at 3200 and it's definitely useable there too.  I just rarely need that kind of low light performance so I stick with 1600 or less to keep noise down.

The other two main reasons I upgraded were that I really wanted the variangle screen (I use it about 20% of the time) and I wanted the additional MP's.  The variangle screen is so incredibly helpful for unusual angles.  I took this uncropped picture, for instance, with the camera on the ground and the screen flipped out, I used the 10x magnification (which you could use on the XSi but the angle to see the screen would be terrible and you might not nail the focus) and my 60mm macro and I really like this pic.  (click the pic to enlarge to 2000 pixels wide)

Here's another - same scenario

So, the screen alone was worth the upgrade for me to get pics like this.  I would have been MUCH LESS likely to get these pics with the XSi.

Depending on your shooting style and your thoughts on the video/autofocusing, it might be worth it to you to wait for the next generation of this line as my guess is that it'll include full-time autofocusing in video mode.  I'd probably expect at least some improvement in ISO as well.  If not, there's always Nikon for full time auto focusing in video - or again, a dedicated video camera.

catmelon

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:53:14 PM »
...snip...

Thanks for the great review! Excellent pics by the way.

I'm not too worried about continuous auto-focussing in video mode simply because I want to start making short films with the camera, and with my past experiences in video, you're going to be manually focussing all your shots anyway.

My main reservations in not getting a 60D now is, with new cameras possibly coming out in the fall, I don't want to be in a position where 2 years from now I'll want to upgrade again. Though I have had the XSI for around 2.5 years already, and I'm perfectly happy with it minus the lack of video (ISO I can honestly live with since I'm not making huge prints or in dark venues most of the time).

I have contemplated switching to Nikon (mainly because I can get Nikon products at 60% MSRP), but I've already invested a bit into Canon glass and Magic Lantern is far too appealing right now.

jebrady03

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »
Ahh, okay.  If you have no issues with manual focusing, then you're good to go! :)

I personally enjoy upgrading camera bodies as part of the hobby.  I'm a tech dork (tech nerds and tech geeks know more than me but I still enjoy it) and don't mind forking over a little $ for new stuff.  My wife tends to hate that about me though.  However, I typically win her over with resell value.  I sold my XSi and kit 18-55 lens for about $100 less than I bought it for after using it for 2 years.  I felt like 2 years was worth $100.

If the 60D replacement has auto focus video and that feature gets good reviews (and there are no steps backwards in any other area) as well as MFA - I'll likely buy it and sell the 60D.  As I mentioned, I bought the 60D for $829 new and I'll likely keep it for at least another year which will give me 2 years with it as well.  My guess is that I'll be able to get at least $700 for it 1 year from now (refurbs are $800 right now).  So $130 for 2 years... again... not bad!

Certainly, your price point will vary (don't think I've seen the 60D that low again - I got mine at that price due to a pricing error while a rebate was available) but you probably don't stand to lose very much if you go with the 60D right now and sell in a year or two.  Heck, even the 50D still sells well used.

So, don't look at the cost as a sunk cost - look at is as a depreciating investment!  lol

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »
if you need just video functionality and better iso you can consider the 600d; if you need more, better to go with 7d
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 04:23:40 AM »
if you need just video functionality and better iso you can consider the 600d; if you need more, better to go with 7d

The op is correct: the 7d doesn't run magic lantern with is *the* killer feature for video, and the swivel screen of the 600d/60d helps of course. But beyond that, ml has great features for shooting pictures too I wouldn't want to miss. I've got the 60d and not the xxxd, and for a reason - I'm just used to the top lcd display to switch see what's going on quickly, and most important I'm constantly using the back dial. Get the other differences between 60d and 600d from the web, but for me it would be definitely worth it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 04:23:40 AM »

catmelon

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 08:16:39 AM »
The op is correct: the 7d doesn't run magic lantern with is *the* killer feature for video, and the swivel screen of the 600d/60d helps of course. But beyond that, ml has great features for shooting pictures too I wouldn't want to miss. I've got the 60d and not the xxxd, and for a reason - I'm just used to the top lcd display to switch see what's going on quickly, and most important I'm constantly using the back dial. Get the other differences between 60d and 600d from the web, but for me it would be definitely worth it.

Yeah, while video and ISO are the MAIN reasons I want to upgrade, there are still other things in the 60D I like over the 600D which I'm willing to pay the extra $200 or so for.  Overall I feel the 60D is the best all-around camera between the 600D, 60D and 7D (I'm happy with a jack of all, master of none camera).

But back to my original question: I guess most people's consensus is the 60D is a good buy for me right now?

!Xabbu

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:18:51 AM »
I did the same upgrade about a month ago and I'm really happy that I did it. I don't shoot video, but the ergonomics of the 60D are soooooo much better than the 450D - I didn't realize that it would be so much easier to change settings on the fly. And I like the swivel screen - I think the 60D is a very good package.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:18:51 AM »