July 22, 2014, 10:04:09 AM

Author Topic: Brand New 5d3 with 1500 shutter counts.  (Read 11499 times)

fallenflowers

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Brand New 5d3 with 1500 shutter counts.
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:59:30 AM »
I just purchased a brand new 5d3, had it preorder a week prior picking it up. went home taken a few pictures (about 30) and from curiosity went to eoscount to check out the shutter counts. The shutter counts showed well over 1500 and serial number 5 which i found weird. I also notice when i first turned on the camera the time and date never showed.  I have taken a few more shots just to make sure eoscount is accurate. The website really updates the shutter counts which i have taken.

The CF and SD card i bought for this camera also brand new. I got this camera at Henry's, presumably authorize retailer. Another thing i would like to mention, the employee that sold me the camera said it is the latest batch with light leak fixed by manufacturer. When i got home i notice the first 6 digital serial number is 1 instead of 3. I am shocked that i was being lied to, also with a camera that is defective with 1500 plus actuations. it was my mistake to not check the serial number before buying. up until now, why would the store still have the first batch of camera?

anyone have any idea why my brand new 5d3 has over 1500 shutter actuations? am i getting a returned or refurbished copy? what should i do?

Note: I just figured that you can check your shutter counts in the camera. in the menu setting under batter info. it showed the shutter count. the number matched with the photos i have taken. which is 55. Now that i think its either eoscount is incorrect or someone have reset the shutter count. I am surprised no one have mentioned about shutter count from camera, you should check it out.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:37:36 PM by fallenflowers »

canon rumors FORUM

Brand New 5d3 with 1500 shutter counts.
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:59:30 AM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Brand New 5d3 with 1500 shutter counts.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
It sounds like it could have been a shop floor model.  I suggest you call your dealer to find out what's going on...
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Hesham

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
I just purchased a brand new 5d3. went home taken a few pictures (about 30) and from curiosity went to eoscount to check out the shutter counts. The shutter counts showed well over 1500 and serial number 5 which i found weird. I also notice when i first turned on the camera the time and date never showed.  I have taken a few more shots just to make sure eoscount is accurate. The website really updates the shutter counts which i have taken.

anyone have any idea why my brand new 5d3 have over 1500 shutter actuations? am i getting a returned or refurbished copy? what should i do?

A decent retailer should NEVER re-sell returned or store opened items. Opened/returned items should be sold as OPEN BOX! That's why I AVOID ONLINE RETAILERS WITH PHYSICAL STORES!!! period. If a retailer sends me open items, they are pushing the cost of their flexibility (no questions return policy) to the customer.

I would not accept such treatment even if the camera is fine. It is a matter of principle. I would also stop dealing with such retailer.

Wideopen

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »
U either got a demo or a returned one  :-\ id take it back.

TheFarmer

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 03:37:57 PM »
Where did you purchase it?

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 04:33:06 PM »
Take it back and go elsewhere thats a second hand 5d3 they have sold you as new basically

Harv

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • My SmugMug Web Location
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »
Have you checked the file number of your last image to confirm the count is the same as eoscount says it is?

Their website does not show that it supports the 5DIII (although the site might not be updated to include that body).
Looking at life through a 1D4 and a 5D3 plus lots of red rings.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:06:12 PM »

takoman46

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »
Wow, that's definitely not right for your brand new camera to have some mileage on it. I would take it back to your dealer and get it replaced.

On another note, is there any way to check the shutter count using Mac OSX? I understand that eoscount only works on internet explorer, and internet explorer only runs on windows...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 07:16:23 PM »
Where did you buy it? 

It is a violation of Federal law to sell a used item as new, and reputable sellers do not do it, particularly not B&H or Adorama.

Call the dealer and ask.

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 07:22:52 PM »
Unfortunately, this is no biggie.

I have gotten equipment that is used from nearly any dealer, both physical stores and the big name "reputable" online merchants. Even from Amazon.com.

1,500 actuations is basically new for all purposes, although it really offends one's psyche that they didn't get to take the very first photo with the camera.

Think of it this way: how is a company supposed to offer customer service if they don't do this? If they have to throw away any camera that someone returns, they would go out of business. If they relegated it to a shelf that said "scratch and dent" they would lose $500 and never be able to sell it for a long time, perhaps losing $1,500 in the end. If on the other hand, they properly inspect it and have approval from Canon to continue offering the original warranty, then no one loses.

I just bought a "brand new" camera from Best Buy the other day which was obviously used. No tape around the battery, etc., and little flakes of dirt and kleenex which had been used to try to clean the camera up. But I paid for the two-year protection plan, and so if it makes the camera go bad more quickly, then it's all good for me. If it becomes unrepairable before the end of the warranty, then I can have it replaced with brand new "equivalent technology." But the lens was clean, and it was obviously inspected by Canon because some of the items were sealed. So I just trusted Canon, known for its excellent customer service; and my protection plan was my ace in the hole.

I completely disagree with all you say.  First of all, sure, the companies need to make money, but they also need to be honest.  They need to tell you that it was used, and maybe give you $50 off or some other incentive.  That should be included in their overhead.

I also disagree, I don't think 1,500 actuations are "like new".  Given the short time the camera has been out, his 5DIII was used quite a bit apparently.

The fact that you knowingly buy a camera at new price even though it was obviously used is odd too.  On top of that, you happily spend the money for extra warranty rather than asking Best Buy to give you a free extra warranty since they are obviously selling you a used camera.  You might as well take the chance and buy it from Amazon for less.  I just don't understand your logic, however it is very kind of you to support your local dealer and letting them get away with bad business practice.  Some sales clerk is probably very happy and will probably be encouraged to try to do this again...

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
just a thought, did you use a freshly formatted card with the camera?
cards from another camera can pick up numbering where the other camera left off
APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »
just a thought, did you use a freshly formatted card with the camera?
cards from another camera can pick up numbering where the other camera left off

That is only for the file number assignment.  EOScount tracks actual shutter actuations regardless of the file number on your card.

wrack_of_lamb

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »
Where did you buy it? 

It is a violation of Federal law to sell a used item as new, and reputable sellers do not do it, particularly not B&H or Adorama.

Call the dealer and ask.

Violation of federal law or not, B&H does this. I have bought "new" items from them that were clearly opened and returned. (Box taped closed, disorderly packaging, etc.) Once, after testing the item, I discovered why it was returned: it didn't work at all. I brought it back and tried to exchange it, but it was "they only one available." So I just took my money back. Note that this happened more than once. Granted, overall it has been less than 5% of my purchases with them, but they do it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 07:54:29 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 09:58:59 PM »
My 5D3 had a similar situation, the first file names were just over 5000. I was surprised. Even a shop demo wouldn't show numbers like this.

There is a simple entirely plausible explanation given by our local CPS representative. Unless you are using a brand new card, the camera will pick up header information from the CF card to establish a commencement number. In your case it was 1500, in my case 5000. It's just a number and does not correlate to shutter actuations.

Paul Wright

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »
My 5D3 had a similar situation, the first file names were just over 5000. I was surprised. Even a shop demo wouldn't show numbers like this.

There is a simple entirely plausible explanation given by our local CPS representative. Unless you are using a brand new card, the camera will pick up header information from the CF card to establish a commencement number. In your case it was 1500, in my case 5000. It's just a number and does not correlate to shutter actuations.

Paul Wright
thats what I meant :P
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 10:01:25 PM »