October 21, 2014, 03:28:33 PM

Author Topic: Film is still hard to beat  (Read 26267 times)

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Film is still hard to beat
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:13:37 AM »
While my Pentax 645D is in Tokyo being repaired, I gave my 645 lenses a workout in Korea with a few different kinds of film.  I don't believe that digital is YET able to completely replicate the effect.

Got some film developed and scanned at 15mp in Seoul for the princely sum of £4 each film (about $6).  These are from a trip to an island about 80km from Seoul except one from Seoul itself

Pentax 645N FA 45 - 85 at 45mm and f/16 1/60 Kodak Ektra 100

what-a-lot-of-statues!-Ektra by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Pentax 645N FA 45-85 at 50mm f/11 1/160 Fuji Reala 100

Buddha-with-ice-cream-Reala by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and the one from the streets of Seoul

Pentax 645N FA 45 - 55 at 45mm 1/160 f/11 Kodak Ektra 100

Looking-down-the-road-in-Gangnam by singingsnapper, on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

Film is still hard to beat
« on: May 14, 2012, 05:13:37 AM »

AndysRollei

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Film is still hard to beat
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
Nice!

I love film as well, and would agree that it is hard to replicate the look of film effectively, and probably wont be able to for some time. I use a few rolls of film in my Rolleiflex every know and then and often like they way they look over my digital stuff, it just looks so much cooler, and has more character.

Andy
More film cameras than digital.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:57:09 AM »
As nice as these are, it's when it comes to mono's that film really wins out.  No digital image comes close to what I got from AGFA Scala, or can get from Ilford XP2.

leGreve

• EOS M2
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:58:23 AM »
You assume that digital is striving to be like film? Why would  you assume that?

The feel is nothing but nostalgia, and is as such useful for anything else than recreating a certain feeling.

Digital is its own... Otherwise you might take the step further and say that a Kodak film anno 2012 is not quite achieving what the old camera obscuras could achieve.

If you want the film look by all means go ahead, but film is not hard to beat... it's been beat years ago. Both in pixel count terms and qualitywise.
Besides digital is far more efficient to one's workflow and you have photoshop to help you make what ever look you want. Don't try to make digital into film or compare it to eachother... there's absolutely no point.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:58:36 AM »
Nice, I just got a Fuji GW690ii of ebay, and I can't wait to run some film through it this weekend.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:25:51 AM by mws »

Strobe the globe

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • 60D | 10-22mm, 18-200mm, 50mm | Speedlite 600EX-RT
    • View Profile
    • Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
You are right. Digital is just not quite the same.

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »
You assume that digital is striving to be like film? Why would  you assume that?

The feel is nothing but nostalgia, and is as such useful for anything else than recreating a certain feeling.

Digital is its own... Otherwise you might take the step further and say that a Kodak film anno 2012 is not quite achieving what the old camera obscuras could achieve.

If you want the film look by all means go ahead, but film is not hard to beat... it's been beat years ago. Both in pixel count terms and qualitywise.
Besides digital is far more efficient to one's workflow and you have photoshop to help you make what ever look you want. Don't try to make digital into film or compare it to eachother... there's absolutely no point.

I'm assuming nothing of the sort. How much detail can be resolved on film depends on many things.  Size of frame and type of film.  For example, ilford Pan 50 can outresolve many Digital cameras in its 120 format.  Shooting film also forces you to consider more before you shoot.  I use many platforms, from 6 x 7 based film, 645 film and 35mm digital and MF digital.  Film has more variation in its colour forms.  If you use Velvia 50 it will be very different from other colour films.  Velvia is very difficult to work with and I love the look of the Reala 100 which is much more forgiving.  Ektra 100 is also excellent.  Digital can seem one dimensional in comparison.  With film you can give a very different look without it looking over processed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:53:52 PM by itsnotmeyouknow »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:44:02 PM »

thepancakeman

• Canon 7D MK II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »
"Film is still hard to beat"--not cost-wise.   ;)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
I believe leGreve's incisive comments are dead-on. And you probably shouldn't take umbrage when your spade is called a spade.

If you did not intend to frame the whole thing comparatively and as a competition, you would have titled the thread something like "Sometimes I Like Flim Too." Believe it or not, everything in the world is not a win/lose proposition.

I like to read books. Sometimes I read them on an e-reader, sometimes on paper. Neither one "beats" the other.

I'm assuming nothing of the sort. How much detail can be resolved on film depends on many things.  Size of frame and type of film.  For example, ilford Pan 50 can outresolve many Digital cameras in its 120 format.  Shooting film also forces you to consider more before you shoot.  I use many platforms, from 6 x 7 based film, 645 film and 35mm digital and MF digital.  Film has more variation in its colour forms.  If you use Velvia 50 it will be very different from other colour films.  Velvia is very difficult to work with and I love the look of the Reala 100 which is much more forgiving.  Ektra 100 is also excellent.  Digital can seem one dimensional in comparison.  With film you can give a very different look without it looking over processed.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

FunPhotons

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 08:47:12 AM »
I gave up film long ago because of the cost - never going back. I can buy a new lens in what it would cost in film and development to shoot a vacation, never mind the time and hassle factor.

Your images are nice, and they're just being transmitted over the web, but I don't see anything special that can't be done in digital. If anything what I notice is that film blobby/softie look, I'm glad I don't have to take shots like that anymore.

dukeofprunes

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 08:59:50 AM »
(Disclaimer: never used film myself)

It seems to me that different types of film often are made to achieve a specific look, be it high contrast, tinted colors etc. Digital raw files may often look a bit bland, but they are a good starting point for post-production.

May it be that film lovers are sometimes comparing film to unprocessed digital files?

I cannot see anything in the OPs pictures that is not easily achieved in PP with digital files. E.g. tint the grey balance towards red to achieve the warm asphalt.
EOS 5D mkII | 17-40 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L IS | 70-200 f/4 L IS | Speedlite 430EX II

itsnotmeyouknow

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 03:06:21 PM »
I think essentially film and digital are different mediums and I use both. I don't see the point in trying to make digital look like film or vice versa. The sad thing in photography these days is the obsession with over sharpening and pixel peeping. It's like auto tune in music. It might make it 'in tune' technically but you lose the whole point of it when you try and over analyse and look at too close a level. I think it also helps us to be less tolerant of other opinions as it makes us more tribal as everything is specs based
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:08:08 PM by itsnotmeyouknow »

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »
I use both film and digital, I like both for different reasons.

For someone with a good digital picture to start with and who is skilled in PP can make it look like any film stock.

Digital is great, I can blast off a 100 shots of my kids with no cost and pick the good ones out later. I can have the results now and easily share them with anyone. It's also great for pros who shot thousands and thousands of shots.

I like film because I enjoy the art/craft nature of it (by no means saying there is not art in using digital) I like slow methodic approach it makes me take. I like the surprise of not knowing what my images will be until I develop them. I also enjoy playing with old cameras.

Just as cameras still don't stop people from painting, I don't think digital will ever totally kill off film, there my just be far fewer film stocks available.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 03:44:29 PM »

dukeofprunes

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 04:38:29 PM »
I use both film and digital, I like both for different reasons.

For someone with a good digital picture to start with and who is skilled in PP can make it look like any film stock.

Digital is great, I can blast off a 100 shots of my kids with no cost and pick the good ones out later. I can have the results now and easily share them with anyone. It's also great for pros who shot thousands and thousands of shots.

I like film because I enjoy the art/craft nature of it (by no means saying there is not art in using digital) I like slow methodic approach it makes me take. I like the surprise of not knowing what my images will be until I develop them. I also enjoy playing with old cameras.

Just as cameras still don't stop people from painting, I don't think digital will ever totally kill off film, there my just be far fewer film stocks available.

I really appreciate the difference in methodical approach between film and digital. On a similar note, most of the music I listen too comes off vinyl records..
EOS 5D mkII | 17-40 f/4 L | 24-105 f/4 L IS | 70-200 f/4 L IS | Speedlite 430EX II

Kamera Obscura

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »
Is it still film after scan?

dario.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 06:18:39 PM »