April 18, 2014, 07:44:17 PM

Author Topic: 5D3 vs D800 sales numbers  (Read 15401 times)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: 5D3 vs D800 sales numbers
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »
Canon didn't lower the 5d 2 prices until the 2.5 year mark in the cameras lifespan...  That being said, I doubt canon really cares about which camera, the 5d3 or D800 sales more...  Most companies such as this properly has a sale projection target...  If it passes that target, in their eyes, it's a success. If it doesn't, it fails.  If it's close enough to the mark, it's on track.  Where exactly nikons sales matters to their projection is irrelevant.   NOW... if they see a big decline once the supply and demand starts changing and there's more supply than demand, then and only then may we see change in pricing and rebates and such... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 11:27:49 AM »

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 12:16:26 PM »
in my mind, (and i might be very wrong here) i think that sales figures,especially for online retailers, only tell part of the story. sales figures give more of an indication of how successful the MARKETING is. Just because someone buys the camera doesnt mean they like it or that they keep it. FOR EXAMPLE nikon can sell 100 D800's but then 80 people can return or resell them because they are dissatisfied with them. the sales figures will still show 100 sales but it doesnt say how may people actually like/keep the camera. same with canon, same with apple, same with pretty much everything.

It's not just that....if Amazon got 250 5D3's in and sold the say two weeks ago, and are now sold out....and they get 250 D800's in this week and sell them, where do you think the D800 is going to go in the list?

Simply put, that list does not in any way represent the total number of units sold of anything.  If it did, the 5D2 would be way the hell up in the listing.   That list isn't an absolute, its a sliding window reference.  4-6 weeks back the 5D3 was at the top of that list.

lady

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »
in my mind, (and i might be very wrong here) i think that sales figures,especially for online retailers, only tell part of the story. sales figures give more of an indication of how successful the MARKETING is. Just because someone buys the camera doesnt mean they like it or that they keep it. FOR EXAMPLE nikon can sell 100 D800's but then 80 people can return or resell them because they are dissatisfied with them. the sales figures will still show 100 sales but it doesnt say how may people actually like/keep the camera. same with canon, same with apple, same with pretty much everything.

It's not just that....if Amazon got 250 5D3's in and sold the say two weeks ago, and are now sold out....and they get 250 D800's in this week and sell them, where do you think the D800 is going to go in the list?

Simply put, that list does not in any way represent the total number of units sold of anything.  If it did, the 5D2 would be way the hell up in the listing.   That list isn't an absolute, its a sliding window reference.  4-6 weeks back the 5D3 was at the top of that list.

I'll repeat myself by saying we also don't know how many cameras are being shipped to resellers to sell.

Tammy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
While it can't be verified, about a month ago someone posted a thread here on CR indicating they spoke to their local shop and from pre-orders/sales their numbers were 25-1 in favor of the 5D3... no matter what country, if true, these type of figures are staggering.. and, if true, as a sample of response out there, ouch..
5D Mk III - 24-70L Mk II - 24L Mk II - 100L - 135L - 50mm F/1.4

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 12:49:52 PM »

do pros (being the main purchacers I'm assuming) actually buy their camera's from Amazon?

I really don't think you can go by Amazon to even estimate sales numbers

I am not a pro, but I am interested in 5D3 and D800.  Just wonder who limits the 5D3 and D800 for PRO ONLY.

Two of my coworkers have 5D2(including me, 3 5D2), it about over than 30% of DSLR cameras owners in my company.  Do you think Canon sell more 5D to PRO users?  By the way, we buy stuff from Amazon.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 01:01:57 PM »
...I doubt canon really cares about which camera, the 5d3 or D800 sales more...  Most companies such as this properly has a sale projection target...  If it passes that target, in their eyes, it's a success. If it doesn't, it fails.  If it's close enough to the mark, it's on track.  Where exactly nikons sales matters to their projection is irrelevant...

Exactly. This is not a war, a race or a political campaign. There is no end point where a winner gets declared. In fact, it's even more complicated because there isn't even a single product. For all we know, Canon could sell half as many 5DIIIs as Nikon sells D800s and it could still be a a tremendous success if that was what their business plan calls for.

The horse race is entertainment for brand partisans and I enjoy it as much as anyone, but I'm under no illusions that comparative sales figures offer any sort of definitive evidence of the success of a particular product in their lineup, much less of any company overall.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
I know that my local shop hasn't even filled all of the preorders yet, and it's still backordered at B&H, so it seems to be selling pretty well from what I can tell.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »

pete vella

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 09:27:10 PM »
the amazon top 100 list is irrelevent. say i wanted a d800 so i place the order at mutiple online retailers which ever one i recieve first i keep and cancel the rest. canon has more stock so it is easy to just place the order at one retailer and just wait , but some still play the whatever one come first game with the 5d mkiii. how many d800 buyers would buy from amazon in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 03:24:00 AM by pete vella »

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:41 AM »
you can spin it however you want:
* if you think this information is useless, don't pay any attention, I'm sure you'll fine lots more fun elsewhere
* if you think it's an imperfect indicator of how well they're selling, and for any reason you're interested in this: D800 still 5th, 5D3 slightly up to 15th

my motivation for following this is:
* given how passionate many people feel about this, it's a fun fight to watch
* I will buy a full frame body in the coming weeks; with today's prices it would be either 5D2 or D800, the 5D3 is not an option since I think it's a lot worse than the D800 and more expensive too; but history says that when there's a simultaneous release with a clear loser that's also overpriced, in 3-6 months the price is adjusted to make it more palatable (see D700<5D2 and 60D<D7000)

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 05:53:55 AM »

do pros (being the main purchacers I'm assuming) actually buy their camera's from Amazon?

I really don't think you can go by Amazon to even estimate sales numbers

I am not a pro, but I am interested in 5D3 and D800.  Just wonder who limits the 5D3 and D800 for PRO ONLY.

Two of my coworkers have 5D2(including me, 3 5D2), it about over than 30% of DSLR cameras owners in my company.  Do you think Canon sell more 5D to PRO users?  By the way, we buy stuff from Amazon.

I think you miss the point: pro retailers tend to get the larger share of the cameras *in the early days* and pros are more likely to be early adopters - if I was paying with my own money I'd wait until it dropped £500.

That will change the sales figures early on.

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 06:50:15 AM »
different cameras, different purposes. actual numbers will never be known. But one thing is certain: neither camera is selling bad.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 11:36:50 AM »
* if you think this information is useless, don't pay any attention, I'm sure you'll fine lots more fun elsewhere
* if you think it's an imperfect indicator of how well they're selling, and for any reason you're interested in this: D800 still 5th, 5D3 slightly up to 15th

* I will buy a full frame body in the coming weeks; with today's prices it would be either 5D2 or D800, the 5D3 is not an option since I think it's a lot worse than the D800 and more expensive too; but history says that when there's a simultaneous release with a clear loser that's also overpriced, in 3-6 months the price is adjusted to make it more palatable (see D700<5D2 and 60D<D7000)

Well this professional is clearly choosing the loser of the two cameras as you so adequately put it... because it's AF, compared to just about any other camera out there, is, clearly, loser, so is the ISO, so is the 100% VF, so is the weathersealing, so is the frame rate, because, you know, afterall the D800 can do that with the optional battery grip, oh wait, that's not shooting full frame?  Crap, well if dual slots, yep that's a loser, HDR, customization, ergonomics, better all around camera, better DR and IQ past ISO 800... yep why would ANYONE choose the 5d3 over the D800?  **crickets**... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 05:20:47 PM »
well, it's not what you think, or what I think
it's what most prospective buyers think, and we won't know about that until we get a clearer picture of how it's selling (yes, sales numbers, because it's not an absolute comparison either: it's a price/performance issue, at $2700 I would also say the 5D3 is a great camera)

D800 still 5th, 5D3 down again to 16th
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Camera-Photo-Digital-SLR-Cameras/zgbs/photo/3017941

and it's in stock at BH right now, so I guess amazon should be receiving the pretty boxes too, soon
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:22:38 PM by NormanBates »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 05:20:47 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 06:17:39 PM »
For some reason, I dont think pro buyers (the target audience) of the 5d3 really shop at amazon compared to other stores such as adorama, BH photo, JR, etc...  I think amazon is more of the every day consumer but I could be wrong.  As far as canon and nikon care, it's based off their projected targets and numbers... Dont think Canon OR nikon is really spying the other's numbers to see who sold more in what quarter...  It is what it is.   

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »

Well this professional is clearly choosing the loser of the two cameras as you so adequately put it... because it's AF, compared to just about any other camera out there, is, clearly, loser, so is the ISO, so is the 100% VF, so is the weathersealing, so is the frame rate, because, you know, afterall the D800 can do that with the optional battery grip, oh wait, that's not shooting full frame?  Crap, well if dual slots, yep that's a loser, HDR, customization, ergonomics, better all around camera, better DR and IQ past ISO 800... yep why would ANYONE choose the 5d3 over the D800?  **crickets**...

btw, just so you know, the D800 is also weather sealed, AF focuses with f/8 which others "superior AF" can't do which means its AF will keep working in low light when the "other" stops, also offers 100% VF, high resolution face recognition RGB metering vs not, also offers dual card slots, has HDR and 9 bracket options instead of 7, better intervalometer with direct to .mov option, and identical on higher ISO's resampled to 22MP, crop video modes, 4:2:2 HDMI out, excellent ergonomics. So let's get that out of the way. 5DMKIII has better specs in *some* areas, but it ain't the be all end all of DSLRs. Neither is the D800 but it ain't trailing anything either, just saying... 8)

Yet both of you are going in circles. Is big MP any more pointless than big ISO if that's not a priority for the photographer? no. Is high FPS any more useful if one doesn't need it? no . are 2 FPS either way going to make THAT much difference? hell no. How many people who need to shoot fast FPS aren't better served with a 8 FPS ready D700 instead for a fraction of the cost and that will smoke anything south of a 5K dollar camera? Likewise how many people really need ISO 100K or even will use it.  Or how many people that get 36MP will end up needing it.

Ultimately, there is no such thing as  better all around camera for everybody. that's a load of crap because the better all around camera depends on what you shoot and the answer changes based on that. What camera is the more versatile depends strictly on what areas need versatility versus what areas is trivial. Neither camera to date does it all better than the rest so why argue such idiotic thing as which is the "best all round camera". It's silly at best.

So please let's stop pretending that suddently the hallmark of versatility is a mere 6fps when flagships or even older DSLR smoke that and have for years not to mention all the great images achieved with the "SLOW" 3.9fps 5DmkII. Likewise let's not pretend the apex of versatility is having 14stops of DR and the ability to crop 1/3 of the image and beat other cameras in detail when there are these things called zoom lenses and HDR. Even meidum format.

You use whatever works for you, and that is the most versatile of YOU period. If a mere 2fps or 14MP sway you on either direction then clearly the other camera wasn't aimed at you. But it says nothing about how much of a better fit it will be for somebody else.

There isn't a loser or winner camera (well except if amazong is the official score keeper). It's just at tool. Is a hammer a loser because it can't do the screwdriver's job? Is such an argument better suited to 6th graders than grown professionals?. I think so. Let's mature here a little people.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:55:08 PM by psolberg »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 06:52:17 PM »