December 25, 2014, 03:38:36 PM

Poll

Would you buy a Canon EOS DSLR without video-capture capability [but with liveview]

Yes, even at same price as same camera with video enabled
3 (4.9%)
Yes, but only at a discount of min. 10% compared to same DSLR with video
9 (14.8%)
Yes, but only at a discount of min. 30% compared to same DSLR with video
22 (36.1%)
Yes, but only at a discount of min. 50% compared to same DLSR with video
2 (3.3%)
No, I would NOT buy a video-disabled DSLR
25 (41%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: May 21, 2012, 10:32:24 AM

Author Topic: Video-disabled Canon EOS - would you buy one, if offered?  (Read 3312 times)

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Video-disabled Canon EOS - would you buy one, if offered?
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »
To get a rough idea, whether & what market potential video-disabled Canon EOS DSLR's might have.

Thanks @all taking part in this poll!

canon rumors FORUM

Video-disabled Canon EOS - would you buy one, if offered?
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:32:24 AM »

PhilDrinkwater

Re: Video-disabled Canon EOS - would you buy one, if offered?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:35:55 AM »
Interesting question. I said "no" :)

briansquibb

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:47:49 AM »
It is a stupid question as it makes no sense to just disable a function -

Why not ask a more logical question such as:

"Would you buy a 28mp with 8fps for $2500 if it had no video?"

paul13walnut5

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »
I voted NO.

But I would buy a video disabled camera at half the price if ML were able to hack it and get the video back.

What is this obsession about video.  It's all getting a bit silly.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »
I will admit I dont shoot video a lot on my DSLR's...  maybe really tried to get something decent a handful of times in the last 2-3 years...  BUT, i realize there is potential there for my clients and i'm working to try to integrate it more in my packages and also frankly, if it can do it, I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »

But the question should be grounded in reality. Canon couldn't sell that camera at $2500 if they have to R&D a new sensor, new focus system, etc; and they knew the market was smaller than the original market that put the 5dIII at $3500. I mean, sure, I'd GLADLY take my dream camera at half the reasonable market price, but it has no practical application as a poll, everyone would answer yes to getting their dreams.

The question is basically, how much less would the camera have to cost for video not being included to be worth it. I think that's a fair question...and one that gets at how much people actually value video features

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »
of course we could go even further and ask for "fully customer-configurable cameras" - at least to such a degree we have become used to "customize" cars and PCs ... at the minimum having a choice between a number of different configurations/versions - eg. with/without Video, sensor resolution, Af-system, etc. 

Currently foto gear makers product modularity really equals Henry Ford's model-T policy 100 years ago ...  "you can have it any color, as long as its black". :-)

Today you can order a small car eg. a BMW Mini with a very powerful engine and most of the very same hi-end features available in large, hi-end, "flagship model" cars  ...  if you want and are willing to pay for them. But we will not  be forced to buy a 7-series BMW just becaus we would like to have a 200hp engine, Xenon headlights and decent A/C in a car.

It's about time photo gear makers (and the consumer electronics guys in general!) get off their high horse an start offering modular cameras with features to be selected by purchasers!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
This poll is fundamentally flawed because the correct answer is not included:

Would you pay more (30-50%) for a stills-only camera?

Trying to be patient here. I've explained this in another thread. Video makes cameras cheaper, not more expensive.

I know that's hard for some people to wrap their head around, but so long as the marginal cost of adding video is less than the increased profits from added sales due to video, the price is less for a video-enabled camera than for one that is not video-enabled.

If you want to debate whether or not video optimization introduces compromises to still image quality, that's a different issue. But, as far as cost goes, you are not "paying" anything for video.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »
This poll is fundamentally flawed because the correct answer is not included:

Would you pay more (30-50%) for a stills-only camera?

Trying to be patient here. I've explained this in another thread. Video makes cameras cheaper, not more expensive.

I know that's hard for some people to wrap their head around, but so long as the marginal cost of adding video is less than the increased profits from added sales due to video, the price is less for a video-enabled camera than for one that is not video-enabled.

While I seldom use video The costs in removing video from camera and marketing as separate model would exceed cost ao std video enabled camera.

Nikon removed AA filter from D800 and charge a premium

If you want to debate whether or not video optimization introduces compromises to still image quality, that's a different issue. But, as far as cost goes, you are not "paying" anything for video.
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L /180 3.5L/ 300 4L / 100-400L

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 03:07:40 PM »
of course we could go even further and ask for "fully customer-configurable cameras" - at least to such a degree we have become used to "customize" cars and PCs ... at the minimum having a choice between a number of different configurations/versions - eg. with/without Video, sensor resolution, Af-system, etc. 

Currently foto gear makers product modularity really equals Henry Ford's model-T policy 100 years ago ...  "you can have it any color, as long as its black". :-)

Today you can order a small car eg. a BMW Mini with a very powerful engine and most of the very same hi-end features available in large, hi-end, "flagship model" cars  ...  if you want and are willing to pay for them. But we will not  be forced to buy a 7-series BMW just becaus we would like to have a 200hp engine, Xenon headlights and decent A/C in a car.

It's about time photo gear makers (and the consumer electronics guys in general!) get off their high horse an start offering modular cameras with features to be selected by purchasers!

You my friend are 100% on the money!
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 03:12:58 PM »

It's simpler installing a more powerful engine, adequate suspension, tires  and screwing in some more gadgets in a car than making a 1D IV modular, for instance, also the competition in automotive is much more fierce. If you want something fully customizable get a MF camera and a digiback, you can shoot film or digi or whatever and change prisms with or with out metering. A DSLR is small, and the prices, I'm almost positive, would skyrocket, if you could select stuff like AF and what not.
I'm not saying it's a dumb idea, but I don't think it's particularly easy to do :)
Anyway, you DO have the option to not get the flagship model.
There is the 7D that sort of does some of what the 1D does. And the most powerful and optional extra upgraded Mini does not come even close to a 7-series :)

The sensor however, that would be neat, if you could decide on a FF 25MP sensor, FF 16MP, Crop etc etc. But again - production becomes more complicated, prices rise, blah blah blah.   

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
I'm with Brian; I think it's a pointless question.

I will buy any camera Canon sells that meets my needs as a photographer, as long as I believe the price is reasonable and warranted.  For example, I would buy a 5D3 today if it were priced at $3K US. They could have a flower pot attached to the side of it for all I care.

All you folks living in the fantasyland of what you would do if you ran Canon, Inc. would be better served playing computer games -- at least there you can experience some measurable progress.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

DB

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
It is a stupid question as it makes no sense to just disable a function -

I would just like to add the following point to this comment (turning it 180-degrees): do you not think that the inclusion of HD video in all new digital DSLR's increases overall demand, thereby allowing manufacturers to make and sell more units, thus lowering the price point for everyone?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 04:45:02 PM »
Another option in the poll could be: If Video were disabled and the AA filter was removed as a consequence, you buy a 5d3e for $2700 ?  My response would be a resounding yes!
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »
With video comes live view and faster framerates, and possibly even more better goodies for the stills market. I may never shoot any video at all, but that doesn't mean that the cameras aren't better still cameras for the fact that they have video capabilities.

Plus, if they've got good video, more people will buy them and thus bring down the price.

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 04:46:30 PM »