July 31, 2014, 04:37:06 PM

Author Topic: Lower Price Full Frame Camera [CR1]  (Read 16793 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Lower Price Full Frame Camera [CR1]
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »
Isn't anyone else thinking 1DX 18 Mp sensor in a 5DII-like body with 60D level AF, low FPS?

One I really like about Canon and what makes me a Canon enthusiast, too, is that every product I ever bought from them was balanced and "just works" - a thing that I have come to value more and more. I don't think they'll start releasing unbalanced products like a severely crippled high-end model just to fill a marketing gap. The only case I can think of where they really screwed up was removing afma from the 60d.

So, there you have it: Canon's "entry level" FF camera will be the 5DIII @ $2499 at the end of next year.

Well, you might be correct :-o ... especially if the 70d is moved up again @$1500+ the gap aps-c to ff wouldn't be that large anymore. And if Canon expects the 5d3 price tag to drop $1000 over the next year, it would make sense they're putting their high-mp body above the 5d3, eventually taking its place in the price range.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »

Haydn1971

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2012, 07:45:45 AM »
I'm not so sure Canon (or Nikon) will be that concerned about the reletive price vs spec of their current entry level full frame cameras, in the real world, someone buying a 5DIII or D800 will generally already have a collection of lenses, typically a 70-200/70-300mm zoom, perhaps a couple of primes, so would need to chop in £1000's of investment to actually change for one generation...  what happens next generation, ewe, swap back and trade £1000's of Nikon glass....   

Once you commit to a brand with a large established lens lineup, you would have to a really good reason to swap brands, i.e. inherit some lenses, merge companies, start working for a firm that uses a different brand...   or, be barking mad losing £100's in trade in's
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

Alumina

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2012, 10:34:58 AM »
Hey everyone, I signed up on this forum just for this topic :)

I currently own a T3i, which is my first DSLR, and while I'm still a beginner (started in November 2011) I already find myself wanting a better camera (especially for the FPS)  And my eye has really fallen on the 7D, but according to these forums it won't take too long for canon to announce their successor for the 7D (although I've seen some differing opinions on that matter)

Now this is my view on things:
Right now canon feels a bit lackluster compared to Nikon with its new DSLR's (especially on the full-frame segment, my fiance bought a Nikon D800 recently and is just out performs the Mark3 while it is cheaper*)

So I can definitely wait for an upgrade (my camera is still fairly new and it works amazing, I'd just like a few upgrades for my macro's)

I've read about the full frame discussion if the 7D2 will be a full frame yes or no, and honestly I can't really decide if I'd like a FF yes or no. It would be nice because I'd probably have everything without having to upgrade AGAIN (to a FF) but I would have to switch lenses (I own four lenses right now)

I would really be disappointed if they lowered the fps on the 7D2, and I would love more auto-focus points (although then again I shoot full manual on my macro's anyway, but for my other lenses it would be nice) 

Just my contribution to the subject. So I think I will just wait to see what canon comes out with. It would be nice if I could upgrade within the next year or something, but who knows what canon will do.

*based on a few reviews I've read in magazines and the internet

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »
I would really be disappointed if they lowered the fps on the 7D2, and I would love more auto-focus points (although then again I shoot full manual on my macro's anyway, but for my other lenses it would be nice) 

Just my contribution to the subject. So I think I will just wait to see what canon comes out with. It would be nice if I could upgrade within the next year or something, but who knows what canon will do.

*based on a few reviews I've read in magazines and the internet

Ideally 7D2 should have better specs than 7D.  If 70D will have 19 AF pints, 7D2 should have at least 40 AF points.  And new dual processors will improve its FPS as well.

By the way, if you are not in rush to upgrade your camera, waiting for another year is good idea.  I feel Canon has a lot pressures from it competitors now.  Canon must have some new cameras soon and we should see Canon drop some cameras prices as well.  I am trying not to upgrade my gears at this moment.  Actually I just sold my 7D and some EF-S lenses.  I am getting ready for the new entry level FF or waiting for the price drop of 5D3.  Unfortunately, I just ordered an 2x TC for my 5D2 because my 70-200mm is not enough on FF.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »
And my eye has really fallen on the 7D, but according to these forums it won't take too long for canon to announce their successor for the 7D (although I've seen some differing opinions on that matter)

Take the poll - http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=7210.0 - and see the current opinion trend: Either there won't be a 7d2 at all, or it will be a long time before it is released, certainly after 70d (photokina?)

Right now canon feels a bit lackluster compared to Nikon with its new DSLR's (especially on the full-frame segment, my fiance bought a Nikon D800 recently and is just out performs the Mark3 while it is cheaper*)

Watch out for bad karma flying in your direction, this is a Canon enthusiast's forum :-p ... really, d800 & 5d3 have different  usage scenarios: high-mp landscape vs higher iso event/wedding, but of course you can use them vice versa, too. But personally, I also think that the 5d3 is currently overpriced and will drop a lot after pros & well-off early adopters got theirs.

I've read about the full frame discussion if the 7D2 will be a full frame yes or no, and honestly I can't really decide if I'd like a FF yes or no.

If you're asking this question chances are you don't need a ff sensor - there are only specific scenarios when the current aps-c sensor is too limited, though they matter a lot to many.

Alumina

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2012, 08:13:21 AM »

Watch out for bad karma flying in your direction, this is a Canon enthusiast's forum :-p ... really, d800 & 5d3 have different  usage scenarios: high-mp landscape vs higher iso event/wedding, but of course you can use them vice versa, too. But personally, I also think that the 5d3 is currently overpriced and will drop a lot after pros & well-off early adopters got theirs.

I've read about the full frame discussion if the 7D2 will be a full frame yes or no, and honestly I can't really decide if I'd like a FF yes or no.

If you're asking this question chances are you don't need a ff sensor - there are only specific scenarios when the current aps-c sensor is too limited, though they matter a lot to many.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong here, I picked canon over Nikon at the time, even bearing in mind I wouldn't be able to share lenses with my fiance (Boyfriend back then =P ) and I'm strictly speaking about the mark3 and D800. I've always had a weakness for canon (not just camera's) for some reason I just like their products, I'm just a bit disappointed with the price/performance difference on both camera's. (also thanks for explaining the different usage scenario's - didn't realize that! see, I have a lot to learn ;) )

About the full frame, I just started shooting in November 2011, got my T3i in December so I'm just afraid that in the future I will want FF. That's why I'm unsure right now :) I don't have that much experience yet, I shoot a few nice macro's but for now that's about it. I might want to look into studio and wedding photography later so I'm really scratching behind my ears as in 'what to do?' I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a camera only to realize later I'd rather have FF (or not .. ;)

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »
I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a camera only to realize later I'd rather have FF (or not .. ;) )

If you buy only ef lenses, you'll be able to use them on ff, too. And if you want to do wedding photography, you'll need a second backup body in any case - so just get a good aps-c now, use it a lot and after a while you'll know when your abilities outgrow it or shooting situations are too difficult and you should switch to a ff body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »