December 21, 2014, 06:35:45 PM

Author Topic: Lower Price Full Frame Camera [CR1]  (Read 18175 times)

mccrum

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Jeff McCrum Photography
Re: Lower Price Full Frame Camera [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »
Wait! Where will this rank in the 5D line up? I just spent $2,200 on a 5D2, money I don't really have. If this newer but 'cheaper' FF camera out does the 5D2, I think I will cry and then die a little bit inside!!!

Really hope that is not the case.

Anyone care to shed some light on this? Please and thank you.
The only light I can shed is that you should enjoy shooting with the actual, physical camera that actually, physically exists instead of being sad that you may or may not have saved money in the future at some theoretical point that is based solely upon a website called Canon RUMORS.

By your logic, when the 5D Mark IV comes out you should be sad you'll have been shooting for three years because the 5D Mark III is now less expensive than it was.  Just go out and shoot, you got a great deal on the 5D II and it's still a great camera.
5D Mark II, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f2.8, Nifty 50 f1.8, Polaroid SLR 680, Kowa Super 66

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 06:30:06 PM »

CanonCameraFan

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
Would love to see a Rebel size FF with Digic 5 single processor (so ML compatible), 7D autofocus system and microfocus adjust for a reasonable price - round the £1k mark.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 06:51:48 PM »
maybe just a refit of the 5Dmk2 with the 19 point 7D AF or the 60D AF
plastic body?
APS-H Fanboy

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »
Excellent idea, but I'd rather have an EF-compatible mirrorless (With, god forbi, a FF sensor?)

Of topic: Why does the 5D X mockup have the top assembly from a 1D? Weird.

Because they're shooting for 1D weather sealing with the rumors, and removing the mode dial is required for that.

It says "less weather sealing"

Right, but the 5D X took over the rumors of the high megapixel non-integrated gripped pro body. This new cheap full frame would probably not be a 5D anything but a new line.
5DIII 8-200mm minus 35mm in there.

tomsop

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »
Can someone tell me as a potential purchaser of the t4i when and if it comes out what benefits there would be to waiting for the entry level full frame - I don't understand what the advantages/disadvantages are to having a full frame vs. cropped frame other than some depth of focus differences if all other things are pretty much equal such as MP, autofocus, ISO range - in other words if I have two cameras with similar features eccept full frame vs. crop frame which camera would I want if my interests are hobbyist level and mostly shooting family, kids and sometimes landmarks or even nature - thanks, - Tom.

samirachiko

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 07:41:29 PM »
I really want a cheap FF. The Canon 5D MK3 is awesome BUT TOO expensive!!!! We are not all rich!... :(  A lot of people are waiting a cheap FF!  ;)

c-law

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Chris Law Photography
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »
With this camera we have two options for what they will deliver as entry level:

1. Cheaper than 5D2 and worse than 5D2 (same AF, cheaper/rebel like build).

2. Same price as 5D2 and slightly improved in some areas and worse in others to balance it out (do not expect a good AF system, it might be improved but I would expect equal to but probably less than 7D quality - the cannot canibalise the sales of the 5D3).

Can someone tell me as a potential purchaser of the t4i when and if it comes out what benefits there would be to waiting for the entry level full frame

Advantages of FF: Better image quality, ISO is cleaner and better at the same levels.

Disadvantages: Can't use EF-S lenses. Less "reach" for getting more pixels in the centre of your lens (which is good for wildlife/sport).

Chris
Canon 5D MkII, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200m f/2.8L IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, 580EX, LP160, a couple of home made macro & pinhole lenses.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 09:07:42 PM »
Nikon is rumored to be bring out a low end FF Body.  It will not be pro level, but have the features of their beginner models. 

The Canon equivalent would be a FF Rebel, but even that would be better than the nikon model which, without a AF motor drive, can only use the newer Nikon lenses.  So if you have good but older Nikon Glass, it would be no autofocus. This really runs up the price to the buyer.

It only runs up the price if you own old Nikon lenses. If you own neither Canon nor Nikon FF lenses then...

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 09:15:16 PM »
I would expect the camera to have the same 22mp sensor that is found in the 5D Mark III.

Because that's such a good sensor ... NOT

One feature that comes to mind which the 5D2 is missing is the electronic leveling.

nitsujwalker

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »
So essentially it will be the 5d2?  I'm not sure why they don't just drop the price of the 5d2.
They did, they dropped the MSRP from $2499 to $2199...it just happened to coincide with the time prices normally rise. That said, there have been a variety of deals where its been <$2k.

And they dropped it fairly significantly in their refurb store...with Canon Loyalty, a refurb 5D comes out to $1500ish. Can't really get any cheaper: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252#

Except the point is that they will release a CHEAPER fullframe with stripped specs.  So why not keep the 5d2 around and lower the price.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:51:20 PM by nitsujwalker »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 10:04:58 PM »
So essentially it will be the 5d2?  I'm not sure why they don't just drop the price of the 5d2.
They did, they dropped the MSRP from $2499 to $2199...it just happened to coincide with the time prices normally rise. That said, there have been a variety of deals where its been <$2k.

And they dropped it fairly significantly in their refurb store...with Canon Loyalty, a refurb 5D comes out to $1500ish. Can't really get any cheaper: http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252#

Except the point is that they will release a CHEAPER fullframe with stripped specs.  So why not keep the 5d2 around and lower the price.

#1 they can't reduce the 5d2 price below a certain point or they lose money per unit
#2 if the competition introduces a camera for cheaper than the 5d2 then they can't compete on price because of #1
#3 they can't add features to the 5d2 that could be seen to be expected by customers
#4 if other brands introduce ff cameras for the same price or cheaper than the 5d2 with newer features then the 5d2 will lose out

nitsujwalker

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 12:01:24 AM »

#1 they can't reduce the 5d2 price below a certain point or they lose money per unit
#2 if the competition introduces a camera for cheaper than the 5d2 then they can't compete on price because of #1
#3 they can't add features to the 5d2 that could be seen to be expected by customers
#4 if other brands introduce ff cameras for the same price or cheaper than the 5d2 with newer features then the 5d2 will lose out

#1 Possibly except they are spending money on R&D (supposedly) and we can assume that the 5d2 with the already stripped specs is not that expensive to make––surely less so than a new camera with newer technology.  Save the money on R&D and lower the price.
#2 irrelevant if #1
#3 True––completely agree (but new features [generally] equals higher price)
#4 True-- but once again new features [generally] equals higher price (especially with Canon's recent history)

I suppose my point is that I don't know how they can strip a camera down much more than the 5d2 and sell it at a lower price.  Or how they can add features and sell it at a lower cost.  Your point is that the 5d2 price can't go down because they will lose money.  But feature-wise the 5d2 doesn't have much (I own one and love it by the way).  If the point is to have a cheap full-frame then the 5d2 would work without the R&D.  But if it's simply marketing and they are releasing a camera similar to the 5d2 in hope that the 'new' camera will make people buy it, then I suppose I understand.

daniel_charms

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 02:47:23 AM »

I would guess it's because even Canon has limited production capabilities. They can't keep making the 5d2 because they're either phasing out or have already stopped producing some of its central components, like the Digic IV processor or the image sensor. The resources have already been reallocated and the tooling used for their production replaced to produce Digic V-s and 5d3 sensors; converting them back or setting up a separate production line for the previous-generation stuff would not be cheap. It would be more economical in the long run to produce a cheap "updated 5d2" utilizing bits used in other current cameras than keep resources tied up in making limited quantities of older components.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 02:47:23 AM »

eirikv

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 04:36:27 AM »
They must make something to replace my 5D classic :) I'm not making money on my photography and I can't pay the price for a 5DIII. The 5D was a huge investment for me and I'm probably not going to spend that much on a camera again. But my EF lenses need a host in the future.

Making a "entry" FF camera with a price between 7D and 5D (I and II) makes a lot of sense and someone will eventually make it.

And Canon; I would like CF card and articulated LCD screen  :D
And because of my long journeys into the wild I would also like a optical viewfinder, live view is nice but it eats my batteries.

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 06:46:33 AM »
If Canon do decide to make a body like this, I think they need to change the entire concept of the camera and make it smaller and lighter than any of the current full frame models.  That would be a good way of marketing it as something different from the 5D MkII.

Agree. I think it should be a new category of camera - a 6d or something.

There's definitely a market for people who would like FF but won't spend on a 5d3 (or don't need the features) but who would like an "upgrade" from their 7d, 5d1 or something.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 06:46:33 AM »