July 31, 2014, 08:46:23 AM

Author Topic: DXOMark website - mistake and careless on their part...  (Read 9821 times)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
DXOMark website - mistake and careless on their part...
« on: May 14, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-5D-Mark-III-Review/Comparisons

This link takes you to a 5d3 vs 5d2 comparison at DXO.  Scroll down a little bit to ISO Latitude...they use the word "expendable" instead of "expandable" to describe ISO expansion.  I didn't bother to see if they do this elsewhere.

Is this a big deal?  Is it worth mentioning?  WELL, millions of photographers around the world hang on the ultra important DXO scores...and then you see this from a group that supposedly is smart enough to perform all these sophisticated tests, with quality controls, and a disciplined process.[/b] 

Anyway, I just thought some folks would think it interesting...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:54:31 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

DXOMark website - mistake and careless on their part...
« on: May 14, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: I went to DXOMark and found this little thing....
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 10:39:11 PM »
Get over it, typo's happen.  Particularly to a French website which has to translate to English.  How is your French spelling??

Neeneko

Re: DXOMark website - mistake and careless on their part...
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 11:38:04 PM »
Oh no! Not a typo involving two words with nearly identical spelling by people who's native language isn't english! Their maths must be defective because any mistake of any type invalidates everything!

*headdesk*

Part of me is hoping this was supposed to be a joke post.  Such a leap of logic either shows defectively black and white thinking or a real bone to pick.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:30:23 AM »
Get over it, typo's happen.  Particularly to a French website which has to translate to English.  How is your French spelling??

I respectfully disagree. It's not a simple typo, they spelled it that way twice on the same line..AND...they also got the specs wrong on the same line - the 5d3 is actually "expendable"(idiots) down to 50, they wrote "100" in their comparison.   So an error and a typo in the same line... Also, the "a" and the "e" on a keyboard are nowhere near each other...so it's actually more than just a typo.(possible that they didn't know how to spell expandable)

In my business, if I presented a report to a client that had wrong information and erroneous information, I would worry that I wouldn't "get the deal", and I would be embarrassed, and I would be concerned that the client would have a negative perception of our company's quality of work. 

ALSO - a side note that I've been itching to post, but also helps make my point - like many others on this website and worldwide...How can they rate the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II so poorly when EVERYBODY else thinks it's one of the best zooms ever made by anybody.....JUST THEIR REVIEW OF THE 70-200 IS II DISCREDITS THEM IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.  A reputable company would possibly conclude that they received a bad copy and try again, but NO.  Again, it's poor reporting/presentation/research/testing.... "something fishy going on" in my opinion.

If everyone else says 2+2 = 4, but you get 5, then go back and double check your work...triple check if necessary.  Obviously in both my points above they didn't double or triple check their work.   AND IF YOU'RE IN BUSINESS AS A TESTING / INFORMATION COMPANY- YOU SHOULD BE DOUBLE / TRIPLE CHECKING YOUR WORK!!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:58:52 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

YellowJersey

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 04:00:09 AM »
Meh, no biggie. English isn't their native language. Hell, the people at dxo can probably speak and write English better than many English speakers.

TotoEC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 04:22:49 AM »

I respectfully disagree. It's not a simple typo, they spelled it that way twice on the same line..AND...they also got the specs wrong on the same line - the 5d3 is actually "expendable"(idiots) down to 50, they wrote "100" in their comparison.   So an error and a typo in the same line... Also, the "a" and the "e" on a keyboard are nowhere near each other...so it's actually more than just a typo.(possible that they didn't know how to spell expandable)

Here's the deal  - Businesses present reports/information/proposals/ and presentations to businesses in other countries and in various foreign languages thousands of times every day - IF YOU'RE IN THE BUSINESS OF INFORMATION, YOU UNDERSTAND THAT REPORTS/PRESENTATIONS NEED TO BE ACCURATE AND FREE OF ERRORS....THIS IS THEIR BUSINESS!!   In my business, if I presented a report to a client that had wrong information and erroneous information, I would worry that I wouldn't "get the deal", and I would be embarrassed, and I would be concerned that the client would have a negative perception of our company's quality of work. 

ALSO - a side note that I've been itching to post, but also helps make my point - like many others on this website and worldwide...HOW IN GOD'S NAME DO THEY RATE THE Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II SO POORLY - when EVERYBODY else thinks it's one of the best zooms ever made by anybody.....JUST THEIR REVIEW OF THE 70-200 IS II DISCREDITS THEM IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.  A reputable company would possibly conclude that they received a bad copy and try again, but NO.  Again, it's poor reporting/presentation/research/testing.... "something fishy going on" in my opinion.

If everyone else says 2+2 = 4, but you get 5, then go back and double check your work...triple check if necessary.  Obviously in both my points above they didn't double or triple check their work.   AND IF YOU'RE IN BUSINESS AS A TESTING / INFORMATION COMPANY- YOU SHOULD BE DOUBLE / TRIPLE CHECKING YOUR WORK!!

+1

If the word is used colloquially I would understand. BUT it should never had happened if the work is double checked or edited.

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 04:23:34 AM »
Tiny issue, as others are saying.

People aren't perfect.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 04:23:34 AM »

Wrathwilde

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Anarchy Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 04:58:59 AM »
Where's the smite button when you need it?

paul13walnut5

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 06:13:14 AM »
My gripe with DXO is that canon and nikon have different processors to make the most of their own sensors, and that by reviewing cameras from RAW data only (rather than say in camera JPEGS or TIFFs created via DPP or NX2 etc) is like test driving a car with the gearbox removed.

Simple typos are not worth getting excited about.

Their DXOmark of the cameras I have used bears no relation to the real life images I get from cameras which have been consistently well reviewed elsewhere (thus my decision to buy)

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 06:48:17 AM »
wait, you honestly took the time to type all that because of a typo? get over it already. I seriously can't belive people are still upset at canon's poor DXO numbers. It is time to move on people.

3kramd5

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 09:12:20 AM »
Doesn't DXO do its testing not primarily as a service but rather to support its own software?

Should I shy away from DXO Optics Pro because I happen to like a lens that didn't perform well in their testing? Come on.
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 10:34:37 AM »

I disagree too. It don't think it takes anything away from the results, but appearing professional and as if what you are trying to sell, communicate etc. actually works/is the truth, making sure that simple mistakes like these are not there is paramount, IMO. It shows sloppiness and a disregard for detail, which IMO is a problem.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 10:48:08 AM »
I disagree too. It don't think it takes anything away from the results, but appearing professional and as if what you are trying to sell, communicate etc. actually works/is the truth, making sure that simple mistakes like these are not there is paramount, IMO. It shows sloppiness and a disregard for detail, which IMO is a problem.

My goodness, don't ever listen to politicians speak.  You'd come away with the impression that our world leaders are all sloppy idiots.

(which, maybe, isn't far from the truth...)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 10:48:08 AM »

emag

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
My goodness, don't ever listen to politicians speak.  You'd come away with the impression that our world leaders are all sloppy idiots.

(which, maybe, isn't far from the truth...)

Um....uhh...well....many of our world leaders ARE sloppy idiots! ;D
(Couldn't resist)

I don't care about their spelling (or mis-spelling), I'll still use their software.  YMMV

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »
For what it's worth, I work with agencies providing photography... A simple 1 word mis-spelling, in an agency or marketing situation, could cost someone their job and or career depending how bad it is.  I would generally agree a 1 off type happens and shouldn't be overstated and the company will do what it needs to do... mis-information however is a bigger issue and reason to call to arms    8) 8)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »