April 25, 2018, 03:39:04 AM

Author Topic: 4K to spend and I don't know what to do with it!!!  (Read 14374 times)

darryl

Re: 4K to spend and I don't know what to do with it!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
Thanks for all the reply's.  Alot of good information.  I really appreciate it.

As for selling the 60D I can't.  I used it to propose to my wife (bait and switch...2 year aniversary get a camera not a ring....except I did get a ring and caught it on film!!!  Proposal if you care to take a look).  Anyways she would never ever ever let me sell that camera.  Sentimental value.

Also I didn't know the 16-35 was considered a specialty lens.  I heard alot of great reviews about getting good shots in tight spots when your inside and can't get the distance needed to frame properly.  What do you guys thinK?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
As for selling the 60D I can't.  I used it to propose to my wife (bait and switch...2 year aniversary get a camera not a ring....except I did get a ring and caught it on film!!!

Well played! She seemed a little excited.

The 550D thing was just an option with a tight budget in mind. Yes $4000 is tight with body and glass! I'd still get at least a 5D II for ff and low light performance and see what you budget looks like after that. Don't worry about the AF either. You're shooting weddings, not Formula One.

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »
training...
Suggestions for where one would go to get training like this?

C

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 04:37:06 PM »
finally someone has demonstrated a good use for video on a DSLR, lovely!!! very well done ;)

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »
For weddings, a 5D MK II might be a good choice.  Often, you can't use a flash, and you need not only low light capabilities found in full frasme bodies, but the 5D MK II's ability to focus in low light.  I'd only use the center point with this camera, but the center point is very good.

You can often find a good used one at the Canon site.  They do run out quicklly, so keep an eye on it.  If you can find a old Canon film slr or broken posershot, its good for about 20% off a refurb thru the Canon Loyalty program, which drops the price with tax and shipping to about $1500.  I have my old camera here and am waiting ;)

As for lens, a 35mm L and a 85mm f/1.8 will supplement your 50mm nicely.  I do not recommend anything slower than f/2.8, and without flash, thats marginal.  Your 18-135 is a outdoor lens, keep it at f/8 and it will do reasonably well.

preppyak

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 05:13:42 PM »
Also I didn't know the 16-35 was considered a specialty lens.  I heard alot of great reviews about getting good shots in tight spots when your inside and can't get the distance needed to frame properly.  What do you guys thinK?
It's specialty depending on your style. On a crop body it'd actually be a pretty decent general zoom...but that's only because of the crop factor cutting out the main area of distortion on the edges.

On full frame, the distortion at the wide end means you have to be very careful about where you place your subjects. Anything in the edges and you get some really fat looking people...not so good. And so unless you plan to use the 16-24 range a lot, it makes more sense to go another way.

Really depends a lot on your style. If you're used to zooms, a complete change to prime will take some adjustment that might be tough during wedding season
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:17:57 PM by preppyak »

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »
For weddings, a 5D MK II might be a good choice.  Often, you can't use a flash, and you need not only low light capabilities found in full frasme bodies, but the 5D MK II's ability to focus in low light.  I'd only use the center point with this camera, but the center point is very good.

You can often find a good used one at the Canon site.  They do run out quicklly, so keep an eye on it.  If you can find a old Canon film slr or broken posershot, its good for about 20% off a refurb thru the Canon Loyalty program, which drops the price with tax and shipping to about $1500.  I have my old camera here and am waiting ;)

As for lens, a 35mm L and a 85mm f/1.8 will supplement your 50mm nicely.  I do not recommend anything slower than f/2.8, and without flash, thats marginal.  Your 18-135 is a outdoor lens, keep it at f/8 and it will do reasonably well.

Canon website charges sales tax?!?!?!?

What's the deal with that?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 05:27:02 PM »

Enrico

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 05:33:19 PM »
I would go for:

5d2
35/1.4L
135/2L

Find some of them used and you will be fine with 4k.

(Edit. bad spelling)

kwwalla

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 05:38:45 PM »
Hi, and very nice video! Was worth the cost of the camera to capture such a memory!

Anyhow, my two cents:

Get a 5DII. It's low light (high ISO) performance will come to the rescue (trust me). Next, obviously the 24-70 is the best choice, but the 24-105 will work in most scenarios, although she will have to push the ISO at times. This lens will be used for the majority of her work.

If you are going to use the 60D as a backup, then you should sell the 18-135 and replace it with something like the 17-55 or 15-85. As far as I'm concerned, you will need a 580EX-II as well. Learn to bounce the flash. Learn to gel the flash using CTO gels. Find some local venues and practice. After that, generate some revenue and look to purchase a 70-200 f2.8 and other "quality" lenses at some point.

Have fun!

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 05:45:30 PM »

My 2 cents:
I think 7D + 17-55mm f2.8 IS is GREAT COMBO.

You can find a used pair for $2500 to $3000 - and you still have 1000plus in your pocket.

AF on 5D II is NOT that good...save your money for 5D III.  Been there done that  ;)

Enrico

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
It of course depends on her shooting style.

I'd say most people want some dreamy photos of their wedding, and given the 1.6 crop of 60D the FF has a huge advantage in creating thos dreamy shots.

The 50/1.4 you have as of today will be different of a FF. All lenses will be more weddingish on FF, hence go FF.

While the 5d3 would be tempting I think she/you would be better of proving the business with a 5d2 and better glass.

The 35/1.4 is great (and you already have 50mm covered decently)

And then I would choose between a Sigma 85/1.4 and the Canon 135/2.

The 70-200/2.8 L IS II is great. But it will not create the same images as mentioned lenses above (in terms of dreaminess) and you will get 2 L glass for amost the price of one 70-200...

There are complaints about 5d2 AF, but we should not forget it has been one the most used wedding cameras the past 3 years and the center point is OK. And I would go for "crappy AF" on a FF vs good AF on a crop for weddings every day...

And finally... the 5d2 ISO capabilities is far better than those of the 7D, sure you will throw away a few shots... but still... when it hits it will give more customers...

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 05:58:59 PM by Enrico »

elflord

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 06:01:34 PM »
I know that primes have the best IQ and really low f-stops which are great for weddings but considering my wife is just getting going I think quality L zooms would in the end provide the best results.

So my question is which body should I get?  And which zoom lenses should I get?

I was thinking a 5D mark II, and a 16-35mm f/2.8 II L and then some other lens.  What do you guys think?

p.s. the total doesn't have to be 4k exactly.  No more then 4.5K though.

5D Mark II , a flash, 24-70mm and a tele lens (one of the 70-200 lenses would be a safe choice but  could blow your budget).

Keep the 24-70L on the 5D Mark II and you should be able to go wide enough. The 16-35L is too wide for general use on full frame (you really want to cover 50mm). On the other hand, 24-70mm is normal to tele on APS-C.

If she likes shooting with primes, this does become much more feasible if you have two bodies -- you can mount a prime on one body and a zoom on the other. If you do pick up a prime, I'd suggest the 135L.

D_Rochat

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »
AF on 5D II is NOT that good...save your money for 5D III.  Been there done that  ;)

They're shooting weddings not sports. The AF is just fine for that and the ISO performance of the 5D is far better than the 7D's.

I believe he also said they are looking at zooms, not primes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 06:14:59 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 06:32:38 PM »

They're shooting weddings not sports. The AF is just fine for that and the ISO performance of the 5D is far better than the 7D's.

I believe he also said they are looking at zooms, not primes.

Have you ever use 5D II before??  AF in low light is a challenge. Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS is one of the BEST EF-S zoom lens out there. With crop sensor, I'll take this lens over 24-105L or even 24-70 mrk I.

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »
24-70 and 70-200 f/2.8 II

Body is sufficient - good glass is paramount

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »