October 01, 2014, 03:16:25 PM

Author Topic: 4K to spend and I don't know what to do with it!!!  (Read 6811 times)

darryl

Re: 4K to spend and I don't know what to do with it!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »
AF on 5D II is NOT that good...save your money for 5D III.  Been there done that  ;)

They're shooting weddings not sports. The AF is just fine for that and the ISO performance of the 5D is far better than the 7D's.

I believe he also said they are looking at zooms, not primes.

The only reason I suggested zooms and not primes is that my wife is experienced but shes not a 5 year vet like most of you guys are.  Zoom with feet is a learned trait and I think for the time being zoom lenses might be best.  I think getting a prime or two and throwing them into the mix is a good way to get practice but I would be nervous just having primes only.

So it sounds like 5D mark II is the way to go.  I think the 24-70 is what alot of people are suggesting.  What do you guys think about the 24-70 markII?  Probably going to cost alot.  And I'm not sure when it will become available.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 06:38:39 PM »
Have you ever use 5D II before??  AF in low light is a challenge. Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS is one of the BEST EF-S zoom lens out there. With crop sensor, I'll take this lens over 24-105L or even 24-70 mrk I.

Low light on a 5DII is class leading.

To not get focus it has to be nearly dark and the surface single colour with no contrast

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
let it all ride on black and then start a post about having 8k to spend and not know what to do with it.

:)
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »
let it all ride on black and then start a post about having 8k to spend and not know what to do with it.

+1  ;D
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

D_Rochat

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
AF on 5D II is NOT that good...save your money for 5D III.  Been there done that  ;)

They're shooting weddings not sports. The AF is just fine for that and the ISO performance of the 5D is far better than the 7D's.

I believe he also said they are looking at zooms, not primes.

Have you ever use 5D II before??  AF in low light is a challenge. Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS is one of the BEST EF-S zoom lens out there. With crop sensor, I'll take this lens over 24-105L or even 24-70 mrk I.

The prime vs. zoom wasn't directed at you.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:47:59 PM by D_Rochat »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 07:07:04 PM »

I own a 5DII. One shot AF with the center point works very well. Outer points don't work quite as well in low light but I can still get them to work in less than perfect light. I always use one shot with a single point (I don't see why you'd want any other AF setting if you're shooting at large apertures)

prestonpalmer

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »
put it in savings! :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 08:29:30 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 08:40:39 PM »
put it in savings! :)

That's no fun! Besides, the gear he wants to purchase is an investment.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 07:03:55 AM »
The only reason I suggested zooms and not primes is that my wife is experienced but shes not a 5 year vet like most of you guys are.  Zoom with feet is a learned trait and I think for the time being zoom lenses might be best.  I think getting a prime or two and throwing them into the mix is a good way to get practice but I would be nervous just having primes only.

So it sounds like 5D mark II is the way to go.  I think the 24-70 is what alot of people are suggesting.  What do you guys think about the 24-70 markII?  Probably going to cost alot.  And I'm not sure when it will become available.

You will blow your budget very quickly if you get the MkII.

One question -- since she is the one who actually has the expertise in operating the gear, why isn't she the one doing the shopping for it ? You can get some generic recommendations / advice on a forum about what other people think would work, but ultimately it's going to boil down to what she prefers to shoot with.

Regarding "zooming with feet" -- there's no such thing. Zooming and moving are different things -- zooming changes perspective, moving your feet changes your position. You need to get into the right position whether or not you are using a zoom lens. What a zoom buys you is that you can very quickly snap a wide shot and then a portrait without having to change lenses or bodies.

darryl

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 08:54:44 AM »

You will blow your budget very quickly if you get the MkII.

One question -- since she is the one who actually has the expertise in operating the gear, why isn't she the one doing the shopping for it ? You can get some generic recommendations / advice on a forum about what other people think would work, but ultimately it's going to boil down to what she prefers to shoot with.

Regarding "zooming with feet" -- there's no such thing. Zooming and moving are different things -- zooming changes perspective, moving your feet changes your position. You need to get into the right position whether or not you are using a zoom lens. What a zoom buys you is that you can very quickly snap a wide shot and then a portrait without having to change lenses or bodies.

We both operate the gear she just uses it more.  While she understands majority of things regarding lenses and bodies (aperture, dof, iso, shutter speed..ect ect)  the little things like chromatic abberations, vingette, IQ, peoples personal testimonies, the math...ect ect bores her to tears.  I enjoy looking things up comparing items, seeing what is the best value for my money.  Her expertise is limited to handling the gear we have and handling a few other lenses a professional wedding photographer let her use when she helped shoot a wedding for her.  If she had extensive experience with various lenses I'm sure she would be telling me what to buy but for now I'm the research and purchase guy.

While I agree with your comment about having to be in the right position, some wedding moments happen quickly and to be able to zoom in and frame it before the moment is lost is priceless.  Part of learning how to shoot weddings has to do with being in the right position I would imagine.  Zooms allows some wiggle room there.

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 09:23:00 AM »
5D mark II is the obvious and best option since the camera is pretty damn excellent (as every knows already)

the 16-35 is a great lens but you'll get MUCH more use out of a 24-70 and 70-200

the lenses are the most important thing here (though the full frame body helps a great deal), your lenses will out live your camera body since you'll want to upgrade to a 5D3 in a year or so
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

AJ

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 11:34:48 AM »
Yes indeed.

The other thing is that "zooming with the feet" is very disruptive during the wedding ceremony, reception speeches, etc.  Primes have their place, but for weddings you need a standard zoom.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »
For weddings, a 5D MK II might be a good choice.  Often, you can't use a flash, and you need not only low light capabilities found in full frasme bodies, but the 5D MK II's ability to focus in low light.  I'd only use the center point with this camera, but the center point is very good.

You can often find a good used one at the Canon site.  They do run out quicklly, so keep an eye on it.  If you can find a old Canon film slr or broken posershot, its good for about 20% off a refurb thru the Canon Loyalty program, which drops the price with tax and shipping to about $1500.  I have my old camera here and am waiting ;)

As for lens, a 35mm L and a 85mm f/1.8 will supplement your 50mm nicely.  I do not recommend anything slower than f/2.8, and without flash, thats marginal.  Your 18-135 is a outdoor lens, keep it at f/8 and it will do reasonably well.

Canon website charges sales tax?!?!?!?

What's the deal with that?

If Canon does business in your state, they are required to charge sales tax in the amount your state levies.  Otherwise, you are required to report and pay it, so either way, you are required to pay any sales taxes due. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:07 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
For weddings, a 5D MK II might be a good choice.  Often, you can't use a flash, and you need not only low light capabilities found in full frasme bodies, but the 5D MK II's ability to focus in low light.  I'd only use the center point with this camera, but the center point is very good.

You can often find a good used one at the Canon site.  They do run out quicklly, so keep an eye on it.  If you can find a old Canon film slr or broken posershot, its good for about 20% off a refurb thru the Canon Loyalty program, which drops the price with tax and shipping to about $1500.  I have my old camera here and am waiting ;)

As for lens, a 35mm L and a 85mm f/1.8 will supplement your 50mm nicely.  I do not recommend anything slower than f/2.8, and without flash, thats marginal.  Your 18-135 is a outdoor lens, keep it at f/8 and it will do reasonably well.

Canon website charges sales tax?!?!?!?

What's the deal with that?

If Canon does business in your state, they are required to charge sales tax in the amount your state levies.  Otherwise, you are required to report and pay it, so either way, you are required to pay any sales taxes due.

I thought it was more that if Canon had a brick and mortar presence in your state...that they had to pay. I don't know of any canon stores, or warehouses, etc....in many states?

LOL...yes, I know that most states have a 'use' tax...but seriously, how many people know about that one, much less pays it if they do?  That's why most people order online.

seandiggy

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
This is what I would do:

5DII used ($1,800)
135 f/2.0 new ($1,100) no one sells these used, top 5 lens of all time
35 1.4L used ($1,200)
85 1.8 ($400), IMO 95% the lens of the 85 1.2L and lighter, cheaper, and faster to focus.

If you need a '50' throw the 35 on your 60D, likewise if you need a '200' throw the 135 on your 60D.

focal lengths covered, 35,50,85,135,200.

If you MUST buy a zoom, only get the 70-200 2.8 II, don't compromise on the mark I or the f/4 you'll regret it.

If you don't like the 135 because of lack of IS, I doubt you will, the lens is phenomenal. Sell it for 95% of what you paid for it in 2 years.

Use flash sparingly with a $30 off hot shoe ETTL cord.

Boom goes the dynamite.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:35:46 PM by seandiggy »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »