August 21, 2014, 04:31:01 PM

Author Topic: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L Officially Discontinued?  (Read 14442 times)

rambarra

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L Officially Discontinued?
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 05:48:09 AM »
also the 5d2 in kit w/the old 24-70 are nowhere to be found bcs all vendors jumped on those in order to unbundle the lens. It is very odd how ppl never realize that items which are being discountinued usually raise in price, especially if it is the case of a very popular lens/camera. In the meanwhile also prices of the used items are driven up accordigly (as a general trend).

There is nearly always a very low price point which usually occurs months BEFORE of the actual EOL announcement and is due to manufacturer's dumping excess stocks to the market. When you see a good low price it is time to buy in volumes and then wait.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 05:48:09 AM »

DB

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »
also the 5d2 in kit w/the old 24-70 are nowhere to be found bcs all vendors jumped on those in order to unbundle the lens. It is very odd how ppl never realize that items which are being discountinued usually raise in price, especially if it is the case of a very popular lens/camera. In the meanwhile also prices of the used items are driven up accordigly (as a general trend).

There is nearly always a very low price point which usually occurs months BEFORE of the actual EOL announcement and is due to manufacturer's dumping excess stocks to the market. When you see a good low price it is time to buy in volumes and then wait.

Your last paragraph made me think about the current EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens (the first 'L' lens with 4-stop image stabilization) because the price of this lens both new and used appear to become a lot cheaper this month. I've noticed because I was considering selling mine and getting the f/2.8, but a lot have appeared on online adverts during May, plus camera stores are also discounting them by 50-100 bucks. Perhaps an EOL announcement is in the offing later this summer? Or maybe a Mark II?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 07:46:42 PM »