October 21, 2014, 04:56:40 PM

Author Topic: 5DM3 serial number  (Read 5154 times)

apollo13

5DM3 serial number
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:52:04 AM »
Just got my 'new' 5dm3 last night, ordered them from Adorama. But the first thing I checked was the serial number for the body. And sure enough, it's with the 1 S/N (xxxxx1xxxxxx). I would think the new batches will continue with 3 and so on? Did I get the old returned copy, repacked to look new? I hate to return them back and had to wait another month or two. Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

5DM3 serial number
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:52:04 AM »

chrisdeckard

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Velvet Lotus Photography
Re: 5DM3 serial number
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:11:02 AM »
I'm curious why you think a 3 model might be different?  I have a 1, and it works perfectly.
5D Mark III, 7D, 60D, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 24-70 f/2.8, 100 f/2.8 L Macro, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 17-40 f/4 L, TS-E 45 f/2.8

Hesham

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »
Just got my 'new' 5dm3 last night, ordered them from Adorama. But the first thing I checked was the serial number for the body. And sure enough, it's with the 1 S/N (xxxxx1xxxxxx). I would think the new batches will continue with 3 and so on? Did I get the old returned copy, repacked to look new? I hate to return them back and had to wait another month or two. Thanks.

What do you expect from a retailer with a physical store? You waited enough and should get the new factory fixed version, serial 3 & later. I just got mine from onecall.com serial 3, no light leak issue. They actually offered to confirm serial number before shipping. Adorama are dumping the old version on you hoping you will be a "gentelman" and keep it!!

I used to deal with those big shops (B&H, Adorama, & Amazon) but reality is, they just don't care about your time & frustration. They don'e mind putting the camera in a plastic bag and send it to you if they can. They all should know by now that those serials have been ANNOUNCED by Canon as defectives and they are a camera store, one of the biggest, I can't believe they did not hear about it.

My suggestion again, RETURN FOR A REFUND, not a REPLACEMENT. Register your e-mail with onecall.com and other smaller, reputable, retailers and sure enough you will hear from them soon.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:08:04 AM »
I wouldn't worry. Just don't shoot with the lens cap on with the LCD illuminated at the same time  ;D
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »

If 5D III has S/N looks like this (xxxxx3xxxxxx), there should be a "RED" tape inside the body that will match with your "L" lenses.

Open it, shoot it and enjoy your new toy  ;)

I have a "1"....no problem under low-light

Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

apollo13

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I've waited long enough and spend a considerable amount of money for this toy. But I can wait another month or two for a good new copy. Returning this item today.  :'(

CanonLITA

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »
If 5D III has S/N looks like this (xxxxx3xxxxxx), there should be a "RED" tape inside the body that will match with your "L" lenses.
I'm curious why you think a 3 model might be different?  I have a 1, and it works perfectly.

I think we are mixing different arguments here (and in many other threads on the same issue):

1. Do the "1" copies perform exactly as the "3" copies? Well, maybe they don't (even though they cost exactly the same) but the difference seems to be so sneaky that the answer could well be yes.

2. Is the resale value if the "1" copies exactly the same, for any and all potential buyer that will consider an used 5D3 down the road? I would say no, unfortunately.

3. Are Adorama (which certainly knows about the issue) selling "1" copies hoping that their customers aren't aware of/ don't care about the issue or are they selling "1" copies already "repaired" (read: taped) by Canon? In the latter case I think they should better inform the customers, particularly after Canon issued their statement mentioning serial numbers.

4. How you price the lower reselling price, the burden of dealing with ultra-picky buyers, the uncomfortable feeling to be deceived by Adorama versus the additional delay in shooting with the much awaited new camera? It really depends on everybody's needs, but in any case everybody must be free to make her choice: waiting a couple of months or switching to a more customer friendly dealer are both legitimate decision in my book.

So in my opinion whether the light leak issue is a real issue and how to deal with it now that it has been so heavily exposed are two different discussion and answering in the negative to the first question (as I would tend to do) does not conceal the need to deal with the second. Ironically, all these big stores that greatly profited from the expansion of internet over the brick and mortar stores need also to deal with other aspect of the internet expansion, such as the over-exposure of a not so important issue.

p.s.: Sorry for any typo/ misspelling I may have made, hope you won't weight my arguments based on my English ;D)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »

Smith

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »
Something is not right here. Adorama, and most retailers, are constantly out of stock for the 5DIII. That means they are selling out all their inventory. If you just received your camera it should have been from a fresh batch that they just received from Canon. I'm not sure how Adorama could have a 5DIII with such on old serial number sitting around in the store. I would like to think that it's not a previously returned unit but there's just not a lot of possibilities here.

Wideopen

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »
My 1st 5dm3 has a "1" in the serial number and my 2nd has a "3"... They both perform the same...not unless im taking pictures of the back of a lens cap can I tell which is which... Other then that theyre both perfectly fine.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
in your head your going to know this copy has the light leak issue which will alway's mess with your brain because its not the repaired version so return and wait for the new one then it wont be in the back of your mind my friend.

llcanon

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »
Just return it. I don't know if Adorama did this intentionally or not but I doubt so. You won't wait that long. I returned the "leaking" one and ordered on 5/1 along with the 70-200 II, and they arrived yesterday. I thought I would wait for at least two months. Canon seems to have been doing a very good job keeping up with the demand. The fact that you started this post indicates that you are bothered by the "light leak" issue.

bhavikk

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 06:16:24 PM »
Agree just return it and ask for one which has the problem resolved so that you don't need to send it to Canon.

I brought one here in New Zealand this weekend and it had the serial number xxxxx0xxxxxx.
Gear: A lot of gear made by Canon

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
my first one that was faulty was a 1 my new one which seems fine is a 3
it seems some people with "1" dont have problems bar the light leak when shootign with their lens caps on :P
you could test it and see if its a good 1 copy
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »

Kcdude

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »

It is probably the one I returned with the big dust blob to the right of the center focus point.  I just ordered #2 and hope it is an newer serial number....return it.

apollo13

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »
@bornshooter, you are spot on. In the back of my mind, eventhough the one that I currently have is probably working just fine, but for ease of mind, i'm returning them. But, if these retailers are giving discount for the 1's and 2's copies to clear those stock, say like 500 bucks off, then i would probably reconsider.

@llcanon, yes, i'm a little bothered with the current issue at hand.

@kcdude, haha, its probably your copy that i got now lol.

I was wondering if anybody else that just got their order from Adorama, had similar issue with me. Just curious. As always, thanks for the input guys/gals.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:46 PM »