September 01, 2014, 02:53:03 PM

Author Topic: Canon to Announce 2 Cameras in June [CR2]  (Read 19095 times)

dtameling

Re: Canon to Announce 2 Cameras in June [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »
So who has worked in the field with a mirrorless body.  Try doing very early morning and very late afternoon landscape work and see how pleased you'll be. The optical viewfinder lcd is the weak link here. Great idea but at the moment a "nitch" market at best.

When the MKIII came out and everybody started going right I went left and bought NEX-7. I'm hooked. I use it as as a light weight second camera opposite my 7D and for video. I just used it last weekend as a bonus camera to video a wedding ceremony with an old 135mm Tamron Adaptall on it...the footage is great. I'll be using it in a couple of weeks to shoot a bunch of sporting events over the course of two weeks and I expect the compact size and 10fps to give my 7D a run for it's money...especially since my old 400mm f/5.6 AI lens fits on the NEX and the 7D has nothing in my bag that comes close unless I rent.

For guys like me, a mirrorless needs to be prosumer or better. APS-C is a must, 10fps is a must, active EF lens compatibility (an adapter is fine) is a must (especially since NEX already has this with a Metabones adapter). Video has to be better than the 7D to compete. High ISO noise has to be better than the 7D to compete.

If they can pull a camera out which is better than the NEX-7 (which already is overall a better camera than my 7D in my view), I'll preorder no matter the cost.

Full frame is neat but I think unrealistic....there'd be too many compromises and I'm not sure there's enough demand at the price they'd have to charge to keep it from competing with the MKIII on price. If it were the size of a GH2, mirrorless, full frame with MKIII capability, I might buy but I'm not convinced that's what this will be....it just doesn't make sense for Canon to do it business wise. Despite the capability of the GH2, that format of camera has never been popular.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 03:02:14 PM »

J

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
I'm expecting G1X sensor. I'm thinking they will pull a Nikon 1, just less extreme. Unlike Nikon, I hope they can actually capitalize on actually smaller lenses for the smaller sensor.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »
I hope that the Canon mirrorless model is not that great! LOL!.  I have two MFT bodies and 9 MFT lenses....Canonl, please screw up this release really badly.... Slow Zoom lenses with lackluster performance is what I am hoping for here!!!! If it is like the Nikon...I can go to sleep at night, no problem.
LOL!
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

J

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
If it is like the Nikon...I can go to sleep at night, no problem.
LOL!

I do not want Canon to pull a Nikon, but I expect them to. That's life in the mass market.

It would be nice if they did two mirrorless lines, a G1X mainstream line and a FF Fuji/Leica-killer line.

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 04:11:02 PM »
Interesting.  Of the available mirrorless options, the Nikon is the only one that's even remotely interesting to me.  This is because it's fast and has usable tracking autofocus due to its on-sensor phase detection system.  All the others are just overgrown compacts that don't have the benefits compacts have of actually being compact combined with being cheap.

Longkou

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
The best thing Canon could do with this mirrorless camera is to take new customers away from Leica with a FF body. Its not that hard, Leica is using OLD technologies alongside its full frame which would quite easily be kicked to the side if Canon does it right. Sure the Leica lenses are always going to be a deal breaker but few people can afford that and people can live without it considering Canon's great quality glass and price point.

Positron

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »
Wouldn't it technically be three cameras? The T4I..the 650D...and then some mirrorless camera?

Just because it's two SKUs doesn't mean it's a different camera.

Besides, you missed the Kiss X6.

Nobody says that Apple released 6 iPhones last year (16/32/64GB and Black/White).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:17:39 PM by Positron »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 04:14:39 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
Mirror-less that is 24*36 and ef mount —dreams.  Although, I'll entertain moar rumoarz.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:19:01 PM by Daniel Flather »
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Looks like 8 or maybe even 10 new Canon cameras in 2012!
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »
OTOH, it could also use the existing mount system and they can intro some trendy new pancake primes and short zooms to go with it. APS-C size sensor makes most sense to start but I guess we'll see.
Well, they did have rumors about a 40mm pancake lens being developed, and there were also rumors of some other lenses for mirrorless.

It'd be a shame if they aren't cross-compatible with EF, cause it'd be a nice way to get some cheap, small lenses that Canon doesn't seem to really make anymore.

Wouldn't it technically be three cameras? The T4I..the 650D...and then some mirrorless camera?
T4i and 650D are the same thing (much like the T3i/600D, T2i/550D, etc). One is named for the US market, the other for foreign markets. Apparently too many numbers confuse us Americans.

dtameling

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
Interesting.  Of the available mirrorless options, the Nikon is the only one that's even remotely interesting to me.  This is because it's fast and has usable tracking autofocus due to its on-sensor phase detection system.  All the others are just overgrown compacts that don't have the benefits compacts have of actually being compact combined with being cheap.

Autofocus on some compact cameras is fantastic. For the tests I've seen between the V1 and the NEX7, the NEX beats it in every test except single point autofocus where the lens is already set to the correct distance. I expect the Nikon has better low light performance but autofocus isn't everything...far from it. I admit however that these tests can be somewhat subjective. From experience i can say that the NEX-7 is very fast and autofocus is quite capable.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2012, 04:24:15 PM »
No? Didn't think so.   ;D  If wishes were fishes the sea would be full :)

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »
I wonder if the 650D will have a new APS-C sensor which will appear in the 7D2

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »
If it is like the Nikon...I can go to sleep at night, no problem.
LOL!

I do not want Canon to pull a Nikon, but I expect them to. That's life in the mass market.

It would be nice if they did two mirrorless lines, a G1X mainstream line and a FF Fuji/Leica-killer line.

I think it is a total dream that Canon would make a full-frame mirrorless camera. No way. (I would like to see it too, though).
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »

clarkia

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
something to give the om-d or x-pro 1 a run for their money would be amazing. it needs to be better than the Nikon 1. i don't see Canon making new lenses that are M mount or 4/3 compatible but it sure would be nice...

as the om-d shows, sensor size is becoming less and less of a factor in determining IQ these days. still not SLR quality but some damn fine images given the size and weight of cameras in this category- one that's just going to explode in the next few years... exciting times for everyone (other than Leica...)

Lee Jay

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »

Autofocus on some compact cameras is fantastic. For the tests I've seen between the V1 and the NEX7, the NEX beats it in every test except single point autofocus where the lens is already set to the correct distance. I expect the Nikon has better low light performance but autofocus isn't everything...far from it. I admit however that these tests can be somewhat subjective. From experience i can say that the NEX-7 is very fast and autofocus is quite capable.

There are no compact cameras that can track moving subjects effectively, and only the Nikon can do it in the mirrorless group.  Speed of AF on a stationary subject is largely irrelevant, and that's all most people quote.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »