October 26, 2014, 03:44:54 AM

Author Topic: Canon to Announce 2 Cameras in June [CR2]  (Read 19711 times)

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon to Announce 2 Cameras in June [CR2]
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2012, 06:54:17 AM »
I'm not the best informed on this so someone correct me if I'm wrong... but Sony's translucent mirror technology is what allows the EVF with phase detect AF, and a translucent mirror is always going to lose light. Do we really see professionals adopting a system where they lose ~20% of the light their fast glass provides?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2012, 06:54:17 AM »

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2012, 08:07:15 AM »
I'm not the best informed on this so someone correct me if I'm wrong... but Sony's translucent mirror technology is what allows the EVF with phase detect AF, and a translucent mirror is always going to lose light. Do we really see professionals adopting a system where they lose ~20% of the light their fast glass provides?

Indeed, to me SLT seems like a solution looking for a problem, Sony trying to seperate their products from Canon and Nikon with a gimmick to avoid direct competision.

The lower end of the mirrorless market to me seems to be much more of a threat to bridge compacts than DSLR's. As you move up in the market the big problem mirrorless systems are always going to have is balancing the lenses IMHO, who is going to want to use a 400g mirrorless with a 900g 24-70 2.8 on it?

My guess is that the higher end of the market will become spilt between DSLR's based on mostly zooms and tele's while mirrorless will go after the smaller Leicaish market as Fuji have.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:11:21 AM by moreorless »

facedodge

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2012, 08:11:05 AM »
But the question is: It will be better than Sony's???

Sony marketing hype aside, there has been a recent thread here "the writing's on the wall for traditional dslrs" and sadly I have to agree. The only question is if Canon will be able to convert some of their current market share in the entry-level segment into the new market, while retaining the upgrade path to high-end dslrs (i.e. the ef mount). But Canon has to get started now, and obviously they are going to.

Personally, I hope I'll never have to use an evf that draws power just for looking through it, but then again many even older-school photogs maybe wished they'll never use af or automatic metering...

Will Canon's mirrorless be better than Sony's Flagship DSLR? Talk about apples and oranges!

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »
Screw new cameras, Canon should plow all their money into R&D on IQ and DR.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2012, 08:56:46 AM »
Almost everyone seems focused on the mirrorless. I'm anxious to see what this new Rebel is like. Hoping it will provide some clues as to the direction Canon will take with the 7DII. (At least I'll enjoy reading the tea leaves like everyone else.)

+1.  Clues, including the next generation of APS-C sensors, i.e. whether or not the 650 will have a mp-war sensor, and a IQ/DR sensor on the 7D2

dtameling

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »

This is why (allegedly), there is more noise at high ISO in the A77 than cameras like the NEX which have no mirror as they are turning up the gain to compensate. The mirror also reduces sharpness of the final image slightly.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »
Will Canon's mirrorless be better than Sony's Flagship DSLR? Talk about apples and oranges!

My comment (obviously) wasn't directed at the upcoming Canon or Sony products, but at the fact that Sony does seem to haven an advantage in both the sensor and mirrorless/translucent technology, and it will be interesting how and if Canon manages to catch up.

Canon already had two such products: the eos 1n-rs & eos rt. I had the latter, and it's lovely - almost no shutter lag since no mirror flips, and you can actually see what you shoot because there's no blackout. I'd exchange my mirror system anytime for 20% less light and translucent mirror (and video af!), but without evf. But the problem with the eos rt was that the mirror also affected sharpness, I don't know if Sony has solved this by now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »

Herero

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2012, 09:24:25 PM »
So my question is with the potential announcement/release of 3 new bodies this year, does it make it unlikely any other products will be released until 2013? I ask because I've been shooting with for the last year and a half with a XS and have been wanting to either upgrade to a 60d or it's successor. Pretty much is a 70d so far off that I might as well pull the trigger?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 03:47:06 AM »
So my question is with the potential announcement/release of 3 new bodies this year, does it make it unlikely any other products will be released until 2013?

I don't think Canon has a fixed limit of releases per year, we can very well see another by photokina time. The only question if Canon has its strategy worked out yet (will there be a 7d2? or only a 70d moved up?) and feels if their current sensor tech justifies an update of the good, working 18mp aps-c bodies. So When someone asks a question like this, I'd always say "get the 60d now, it has dropped in price & runs magic lantern".

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »
hopefully the emerging Rebel will give us some clues re:  Canon strategy for Crop.  Whether or not the new Rebel contains a new sensor is probably the biggest point of interest

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »

Thats one of looking at it.... another way is, Going from ISO 100 to ISO 125 or thereabouts.... The exmor sensor has better low light capability... so it could be a wash.

There are other things that bother me more; like the e-VF and AF performance.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:02:45 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

mws

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2012, 10:17:38 AM »
FF would be awesome, but it would just be big and expensive, but I would love to see something go against Leica.

I'm guessing it will be C size with a new mount. All I really care about is if it can fit into a (coat) pocket, with a prime pancake.

Now I just can't decided if I should wait for this or pick up a E-P2 w/ a 17mm on it, there are some nice deals on ebay.

photoxication

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »
Hoping for FF canon mirrorless and EF mount pancakes available before September, I don't care if it's Digic IV, V, or V+ as long as the Black and White is nice.  I always think about getting into street photography for the fun of it, but never can decide on the right gear... I don't want to start a whole new collection of lenses that aren't interoperable with my DSLR if possible...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 10:41:45 AM »

taz

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2012, 11:20:04 AM »
Hope the mirrorless camera will have a APS-C sensor and not a tiny sensor!

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »
If they are going to start a new system without a mirror, they should do something really awesome and throw a square APS-C sensor into it! It would give Canon a huge point of difference in the market.

You can crop to landscape or portrait from one orientation, & a circular fish-eye lens would be absolutely radical.

Is this possible technical forum people?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:09:27 PM by pdirestajr »
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 03:03:06 PM »