April 17, 2014, 02:39:51 PM

Author Topic: Loss in Resale Value of 5D Mk3  (Read 9041 times)

Wilmark

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Wilmark Johnatty Photography
Loss in Resale Value of 5D Mk3
« on: May 16, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »
Shouldnt Canon be somehow more responsible in this Light Leak issue - even if its not an major issue - they have made it a big enough issue by statements they have issued along with affected serial numbers. New buyers dont seem interested in purchasing any of the 1X or 2X serial models. So we early adopters have been penalized by what something Canon is totally responsible for. If you tried to resell your camera that you bought last month you may have already lost a couple of hundred dollars because of the light leak issue. Apart from setting the price of the new Mk3 out of the reach (esp when compared with the D800) they have now reduced our investment, and dont seem to care.

canon rumors FORUM

Loss in Resale Value of 5D Mk3
« on: May 16, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »

fotoworx

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Loss in Resale Value of 5D Mk3
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:22:47 PM »
The plight of the early adopter.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »
Canon acknowledged the 'issue' (I'll stop short of calling it a bona fide problem).  They offered to fix it, for free.  What, you now expect them to refund part of your payment as well?  New buyers here probably care a lot more about 'affected' bodies - even then, a significant number of people indicated that they have no intention of send their camera in for the fix.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Wilmark

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:38:14 PM »
I acknowledge that they offered to fix the problem if it exists. But its obvious why one does not want their 'brand new camera'  fixed. And they will have to convince any buyers down the road of their reason. But its a cop out by Canon. This is a design flaw, they should have replaced every single affected camera, or given users some kind of rebate for continuing to own a 'defective product'. I have a better word that describes this: "kyosei". (Japanese for F%$# every last cent from your most loyal customers).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
Do you have a 5DIII?  If so, are you planning to sell it next month?  Most people will keep a body for a few years.  By then, not many buyers will know or care about it (yes, some will, but it's unlikely to have any impact on selling the camera).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RunAndGun

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »
If you're buying a camera for it's resale value, you're buying it for the wrong reason.

Wilmark

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »
Nobody buys, except investors and punters, items for resale. But we always want to know that what we buy has reasonable value in resale. Its one of the reasons we invest in lenses more than we do in bodies. Whether it is a  house or a car or other durable goods.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:57:49 PM »
Since you mentioned cars, an industry where recalls happen all the time, do you check if the used car you wish to buy was manufactured before a recall date or afterwards? Or do you simply check if the recall was done or not?

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 10:17:13 PM »
But we always want to know that what we buy has reasonable value in resale.

I don't. At least not with most purchases. I've never bought a computer that had any resale value except as a doorstop. Never bought a television that had any resale value (usually dead by the time I replace it). My clothes certainly don't have any resale value...furniture...lawnmower...appliances. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Come to think of it, almost everything I buy has no resale value once I've gotten my use out of it.

a car or other durable goods.

Cars? Try selling a brand new car once you've driven it off the dealers' lot.

If you're buying a camera for it's resale value, you're buying it for the wrong reason.

+100
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:33 PM »
I liken the light leak issue to the mirror fix on the 5D classic. When people sell it they ask if it was performed but it does not really impact the resale price. I was an early adopter (picked one up on Mar 22nd) and wish it did not have a '2' serial number but it does and I doubt it will be an issue five years from now. I still have my 40D which is now five and it still gets use so it stands to reason I will have my 5D3 in five years.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 10:38:58 PM »

Would a letter from Fujio Mitarai saying he feels your pain make you feel better?

Corporations care about things like profit, market valuation, return on investment, etc. A reduction in your personal 5D3 "investment" is not likely to make it onto their corporate agenda.

Life is difficult.

Shouldnt Canon be somehow more responsible in this Light Leak issue - even if its not an major issue - they have made it a big enough issue by statements they have issued along with affected serial numbers. New buyers dont seem interested in purchasing any of the 1X or 2X serial models. So we early adopters have been penalized by what something Canon is totally responsible for. If you tried to resell your camera that you bought last month you may have already lost a couple of hundred dollars because of the light leak issue. Apart from setting the price of the new Mk3 out of the reach (esp when compared with the D800) they have now reduced our investment, and dont seem to care.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

agierke

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
several of canons camera models before the Mrk 3 have the same issue and no fix will be offered to them. those cameras still took great pictures and still perform well on the resale market. this is a huge non issue. mountains out of molehills and such...

its not an issue. relax and go take great pictures with your new camera.

jeez.....
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, sigma 15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 85mm F1.8, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

krjc

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:21:54 PM »
This light leak non issue is getting ridiculous! If the light issue bothers you, sell the camera and move on. I plan to use mine until I wear it out. Ok bye everybody think I will go take a few pics now.
Now-> Cameras: 7D, 5D3, T4i, G12 Lens: 24-105, 10-22EFS, 17-55EFS, 50 1.4, 100 2.8 macro IS, 70-200 2.8IS I, 100-400, TC 2 III, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 11:21:54 PM »

dsiegel5151

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
By the time I sold my 10D it was worth $150. I gave it to a friend for free. I don't even know what my 20D is worth, but I just put it in my bag for S. Dakota next week, so I guess it doesn't matter. I could probably get about $350 for my 40D these days (it's pretty beat up), but it's still also in my bag, so I guess it doesn't really matter either. My 5Dc probably sells for under $1000 dollars now (also still in my bag). Now...add these numbers up and subtract from their value when purchased new. If you are planning on making money or limiting losses from your original purchase of a camera that you ACTUALLY PLAN ON USING, you are in the wrong business. Unless you have the money, or a new camera will make you MORE money, there is really no reason to upgrade every cycle like Canon would like you to do.

Shoot it till it dies!

Mating skinks a few months ago with 5Dc

agierke

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:48:03 PM »
^ love that post because of its fundamental point.

all these cameras are very capable in the hands of a CAPABLE photographer. i still use my 5Dc as a backup (though i admit some of its features drive me nuts compared to the 5D2). i can still get great shots out of it and because of that it is still in my bag as well.

i imagine once i get my 5D3, i will still keep the 5Dc as an emergency backup. as far as i know the 5Dc is getting anywhere from 500.00 to 700.00 on the used market. there is still greater value to me as in insurance camera than to sell it and pocket the cash.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, sigma 15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 85mm F1.8, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 11:48:03 PM »