I have sold all my Nikon gear (D700, D7000, + 5 lenses) and today i bought a 5D MK II.
I´ve been researching a lot about video moiré, resolution, tested a 5D MKIII and really don´t see why spend more $1.500,00 for almost the same image quality of the 5D MK II. So i bought the MKII body and a 24-105 f/4 lenses. Still waiting for the 70-200 F4 IS and for the 35mm 1.4 L to complete the set.
Impressions about the autofocus vs Nikon:
- The center point is really sensitive, and lock the focus accurately with the 24-105 (razor sharp lens even at f/4)
- I don´t use the other points, neither on the D700.
- Conclusion: almost the same precision of the D700 in the center af or normal conditions (my main job is with light
Impressions about the sensor vs Nikon:
- Much more detail in the images than the D700, nice skin tones.
- Shadow push really bring noise in shadows, for increase DR better use magic lantern and bracketing, than fill light (you can use it with some care).
- Colors are great.
Impressions ergonomics vs Nikon:
- As a Nikon user for a long time i´m a little lost in the menu system, but the handling of the body is great!
I have no brand loyalty, Nikon produces great cameras, but for the whole system Canon, in my point of view, offers more. The f/4 zoom series, the primes and the market availability of the products in my country (the main decision to not get the D800 and switch to Canon), helped with the choice.
As a photo and video shooter i´m happy, maybe next to xmas i grab a new FF Canon body and stay with the gourgeous MKII for back-up.
All the best,