April 18, 2014, 10:56:26 AM

Author Topic: Sold my Nikon Gear  (Read 2887 times)

bernardovaghi

Sold my Nikon Gear
« on: May 16, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »
Greetings,

I have sold all my Nikon gear (D700, D7000, + 5 lenses) and today i bought a 5D MK II.
I´ve been researching a lot about video moiré, resolution, tested a 5D MKIII and really don´t see why spend more $1.500,00 for almost the same image quality of the 5D MK II. So i bought the MKII body and a 24-105 f/4 lenses. Still waiting for the 70-200 F4 IS and for the 35mm 1.4 L to complete the set.

Impressions about the autofocus vs Nikon:

- The center point is really sensitive, and lock the focus accurately with the 24-105 (razor sharp lens even at f/4)
- I don´t use the other points, neither on the D700.
- Conclusion: almost the same precision of the D700 in the center af or normal conditions (my main job is with light  :P )

Impressions about the sensor vs Nikon:

- Much more detail in the images than the D700, nice skin tones.
- Shadow push really bring noise in shadows, for increase DR better use magic lantern and bracketing, than fill light (you can use it with some care).
- Colors are great.

Impressions ergonomics vs Nikon:

- As a Nikon user for a long time i´m a little lost in the menu system, but the handling of the body is great!

Conclusion:

I have no brand loyalty, Nikon produces great cameras, but for the whole system Canon, in my point of view, offers more. The f/4 zoom series, the primes and the market availability of the products in my country (the main decision to not get the D800 and switch to Canon), helped with the choice.

As a photo and video shooter i´m happy, maybe next to xmas i grab a new FF Canon body and stay with the gourgeous MKII for back-up.

All the best,

Bernardo
www.bernardovaghi.com.br

canon rumors FORUM

Sold my Nikon Gear
« on: May 16, 2012, 07:26:57 PM »

PhilDrinkwater

Re: Sold my Nikon Gear
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:36:14 AM »
I hope you enjoy it :)

Like you I'm not actually that fussed about brand and did look seriously at Nikon before buying my 5d3, but I prefer many things about Canon (colours, lenses) which is why I shoot with it ;)

I personally get annoyed by the "internet rumour" stuff that goes around, like Canon 5d2 can't focus - as you say the centre point is actually very accurate until you get into very low light.

Definitely Canon is not great in the shadows - and it hasn't changed much. Funny thing is that, for me, I didn't even notice this until I started looking on forums. I guess I don't generally push shadows that much.. and to be fair I don't think a large percentage of photographers do (when you look at all of the photographers with 5d cameras)

Anyway, if you need to know anything, ask :) Plenty of help around here :)

ruuneos

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:53:25 AM »
Why MK II over MKIII ::)
Did you get nice deal on 5D MKII + 24-105 F4L?

iso79

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »
Wow :o I would have gone for the MK III. Coming from someone who already has a MK II as a second body.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

mitchell3417

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Bennnett Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 01:18:03 PM »
5DII is still a great camera. 1500 is a lot. great decision. glad you made a decision.
I enjoy taking pictures!!!
flickr  MB Photo

bernardovaghi

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:39:31 PM »
Phil, thanks for the reply.
Yes indeed the low-light focus is a bit hard in low contrast scenes, but dude, in the D700 was the same, tested many times. Just trhow a little light point and bingo, focus is in there  ;) . Don´t bother too much about the shadows, it´s only for "clinic" eyes.

"Why MK II over MKIII ::)
Did you get nice deal on 5D MKII + 24-105 F4L?"

Yes Runneos, first the deal: i bought the kit for USD$2.200,00, second the improvements in real life, for a portrait, still, art,  street and videoshooter wasn´t worth the extra 1.5k. I don´t do weddings often, only when a great studio call my services, it´s not a main job. If i where a pure wedding, event, sport shooter, i'll have a D3S (12mp lovely workflow).

"Wow :o I would have gone for the MK III. Coming from someone who already has a MK II as a second body."
The price tag versus image quality don´t convinced me to expend the extra bucks over the 5D MKII :P

"5DII is still a great camera. 1500 is a lot. great decision. glad you made a decision."
Yes my friend, the market still uses the 5D MK II for campaign shots (video and still). Let´s take photos, make money, have fun, after the bank account is filled with dollars ( like the Canon account  ;D ) we expend our money in the new "terrific" bodys.

All the best for you!

Bernardo

I hope you enjoy it :)

Like you I'm not actually that fussed about brand and did look seriously at Nikon before buying my 5d3, but I prefer many things about Canon (colours, lenses) which is why I shoot with it ;)

I personally get annoyed by the "internet rumour" stuff that goes around, like Canon 5d2 can't focus - as you say the centre point is actually very accurate until you get into very low light.

Definitely Canon is not great in the shadows - and it hasn't changed much. Funny thing is that, for me, I didn't even notice this until I started looking on forums. I guess I don't generally push shadows that much.. and to be fair I don't think a large percentage of photographers do (when you look at all of the photographers with 5d cameras)

Anyway, if you need to know anything, ask :) Plenty of help around here :)

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »
$2200 on the kit is an awesome deal!
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »

revup67

• 6D
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 08:10:13 PM »

I found this great work around posted at:  http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html - note the paragraph that starts with:  "I know this is disappointing for Canon shooters but on the bright side, there is a workaround if you shoot RAW."

I've not tried this yet but based on this users comments seems like it's worth a shot.

and congrats on acquiring the 5D MKII - you got a great camera and lens
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 12:47:43 AM »
The trick with a 5D MK II, as well as with most DSLR's is to shoot to the right and pull the shadows down.  Pulling them up on any camera will increase noise, but on the 5D MK II, its visible sooner.

briansquibb

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 01:54:08 AM »
The trick with a 5D MK II, as well as with most DSLR's is to shoot to the right and pull the shadows down.  Pulling them up on any camera will increase noise, but on the 5D MK II, its visible sooner.

Yep ec +1 is the standard approach in poor light.

TheMonster

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 05:16:43 AM »
Awesome. Great to read that. I am basically doing the same thing. I am in the process of selling all my Nikon gear to buy the 7D. Once the money rolls in, I really want to get the 5d3 while accumulating several good >2.8 lenses.

Did you sell all your Nikno gear on e-bay or did you go to a local shop and have it vendored/get other products cheaper?

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 08:13:04 AM »
All you need now are some unique primes like the 85mm 1.2L or the 50mm 1.2L. They're awesome and in the end, what kept me here on the canon camp for so long.
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

zim

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:35 AM »
Did you sell all your Nikno gear on e-bay or did you go to a local shop and have it vendored/get other products cheaper?

Should be plenty of peeps on here wanting to buy your Nikon gear, going by many of the threads anyways  ;D ;D ;D

I'm saving for a 5D3 (eta March 2013!) but I have to admit this kind of post really makes me think mmmmm.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:35 AM »

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 08:36:19 AM »
Darn op, Should have talked to me. I ditched all the canon gear last week. Mk2 + the primes and zooms I had. oh well enjoy the canon side. Switching is healthy to keep a good perspective on things and have a reason to learn more. I'm sure you'll have fun.

ianmacd

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »
- The center point is really sensitive, and lock the focus accurately with the 24-105 (razor sharp lens even at f/4)
- I don´t use the other points, neither on the D700.
-

Congrats on the 5d2. I used to shoot Nikon but got tired of them promissing better cameras and not delivering and at the time (2004) Canon were announcing and delivering very quickly so I jumped.

I notice you say you don't use the other points. Curious why that is but I suspect it may be due to you using the centre point and then reframing the shot? If this is the case, this is a habit you want to break if you intend to use wider apertures as with shallow DoF, the focus could miss when its reframed. This is one reason people often think that fast lenses focus is poor.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 08:44:03 AM »