September 18, 2014, 04:04:41 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Noob: What to check out on new camera?  (Read 4688 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
5D Mark III Noob: What to check out on new camera?
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:46:56 AM »
Hello all,

Well, watching UPS tracking, and my 5D mark III with kit lens should be in today. This is my first DSLR...and from reading the forum I've seen a few people, that had problems with their cameras, and I just was wanting to see if ya'll could give me a checklist of sorts, of things to look for and test out after unboxing the camera and giving the battery a bit of a charge.

I've heard of stuck pixels...but I don't know what those would look like. Anyone have an example of what stills and videos look like with stuck pixels? I thought I'd heard there is a 'sensor cleaning' program in the camera that might take care of those, by remapping around the bad ones.
How many are too bad and warrant sending the camera in for a new one?

Anyway...can someone give me some pointers and things to run the camera through, and what to look for for mistakes? I'm not anticipating any, and am VERY excited about my new toy....but would like to know what to check out on the new camera.

Thank you all in advance...I've learned so much from this forum so far, and hope to keep learning after I get this wonderful tool.

Cayenne   :)

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III Noob: What to check out on new camera?
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:46:56 AM »

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
Re: 5D Mark III Noob: What to check out on new camera?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:39:24 AM »
One thing I noted is all 61 AF points Dual Crossed are not available on all lenses.  The manual has a list of compatible lenses and breaks them down into groups as to what lenses do what with this camera.
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 10:05:36 AM »
One thing I noted is all 61 AF points Dual Crossed are not available on all lenses.  The manual has a list of compatible lenses and breaks them down into groups as to what lenses do what with this camera.

Yeah...I just came across that last night while sitting with the camera and going through the manual....

Looks like the kit lens is a class C one, if I recall from my reading...

C

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 10:37:49 AM »
You seriously spent $3500 on your first camera?  That's ballsy.  If this is your first camera then you should check out everything, read the whole manual and take about 10,000 pictures and you'll get the hang of it.

And maybe you should just make 1 thread for all of your questions, it seems like 4 of the threads at the top of this section are you asking very basic questions that there are answers to all over the place.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:39:56 AM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »
The only change to make is to put the knob on the "P" position and select the center point.  Then learn to take sharp images with the kit lens.

BTW, All 61 AF points are available to all lenses in groups A thru E.  The 24-105mm kit lens uses all 61 points, some of them may not act like cross points, but they are all available, so watch out for mis-information. 

Group F works with 47 points, Group G (one lens) has 33, Group H (one lens) has one.  For the most part, these are ancient film lenses with the exception of the 800mm f/5.6 and the 180mm L macro.

See page 79 of your manual.

ruuneos

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 04:10:20 PM »
You seriously spent $3500 on your first camera?  That's ballsy.  If this is your first camera then you should check out everything, read the whole manual and take about 10,000 pictures and you'll get the hang of it.
That ain't so hard, I bought 7D as my very first DSLR and after 2K shots I started to get hang of it really nicely and learned to use it properly.
But it was only body out there what filled my needs from camera. ::)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »
That ain't so hard, I bought 7D as my very first DSLR and after 2K shots I started to get hang of it really nicely and learned to use it properly.
But it was only body out there what filled my needs from camera. ::)

And I was originally looking at the 5D mark II since about Nov. last year...and I tend to research things till I wear out keyboards. I'd heard the Mark III was coming out...so, while waiting, I was saving more to pay cash for it when it came out.

When I pick out something I want to get into...I research for a long time, and I try to start out with the absolute best I can get with my level of disposable income. I don't tend to buy little cr@ppy stuff all year...I tend to save and buy myself one BIG toy each year....and the camera is the one for this year.

Last year, I gave myself a macbook pro....in anticipation of getting the Canon eventually...for both video and stills processing.

I"m extremely happy with my new camera so far, and am looking forward to the next few months of learning not only how to operate my camera and what all everything does...but also, to learn about photography, ISO, aperture, shutter speed...and all the gadgets to go with it..ND filters.....etc.

This looks to be the hobby I've wanted to do for awhile...and I'm having fun learning video editing now...and can't wait to learn PP on stills!!!

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 06:58:45 PM »

revup67

• 5D Mark III
  • Memories in the Making
    • View Profile
    • Revup67's Flickr Images
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:31:03 AM »
Hmmm..I'm not so sure about putting the camera on P for the first 10k shots and everything on center focus - I beg to differ with Mt. Spokane.  That's what my neighbor did and is afraid to try anything else since he bought the camera years ago.  He spent $3k on a 20D, kit lens and flash a the time of release and shoots everything in P.  Of course this is all a matter of matter of opinion but you could have bought a G12 for that type of stuff.

The camera has loads of features - I might suggest you explore the hell out of that camera and take note of what you've chosen and your results to revert back if need be or alter.  Then you can improve from there.  Overtime try, sample and play with most if not all settings - it's got the versatility of a one man band and will offer creativity for all.  Read a lot and check out some of the videos on B&H and usa.canon.com - that's where I got some great tips from Canon's experts such as Rudy when I first acquired the 7D.  He actually speaks of how to break away from recomposing from center focus which I have and how to use each of the AF groups & points within the camera and their unique purposes.  You can always reset back your settings to something more conventional or factory defaults if dissatisfied with any of your results.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:36:10 AM by revup67 »
Thanks
Rev
Canon EOS 5D MK3 + EOS 7D » Canon50mm 1.4 » Canon 100mm IS USM L Macro » Canon 24-105 L USM IS » Canon 70-300 IS USM L» Canon MP-E65 » Canon 8-15mm Fisheye »Canon 16-35 Mkii USM L » Canon 200mm 2.8 L USM II » Canon 400mm 5.6 L » Canon 580EXII & MT 24EX Flash

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 01:27:25 PM »
Hmmm..I'm not so sure about putting the camera on P for the first 10k shots and everything on center focus - I beg to differ with Mt. Spokane.  That's what my neighbor did and is afraid to try anything else since he bought the camera years ago.  He spent $3k on a 20D, kit lens and flash a the time of release and shoots everything in P.  Of course this is all a matter of matter of opinion but you could have bought a G12 for that type of stuff.

The camera has loads of features - I might suggest you explore the hell out of that camera and take note of what you've chosen and your results to revert back if need be or alter.  Then you can improve from there.  Overtime try, sample and play with most if not all settings - it's got the versatility of a one man band and will offer creativity for all.  Read a lot and check out some of the videos on B&H and usa.canon.com - that's where I got some great tips from Canon's experts such as Rudy when I first acquired the 7D.  He actually speaks of how to break away from recomposing from center focus which I have and how to use each of the AF groups & points within the camera and their unique purposes.  You can always reset back your settings to something more conventional or factory defaults if dissatisfied with any of your results.

Thanks...I didn't know about instructional videos on B&H, I'll give that a look.

Well, my intentions are to spend a LOT of time at home, and while reading my books....take pictures using different settings...AF, apeture, shutter, ISO....etc...and learn where everything is, and see what all the combinations do to the same photo.  I'm looking at this as another excelling opportunity to learn a new, and valuable skill!!

Not only the stills...but video...

And after that...looking to sit down, and try to become proficient at post production on still and video.

I doubt I'll become world famous, and make a living at it....but hey, always shoot for the stars as they say, eh?
:)

C

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 12:21:26 AM »
I'd suggest reading a photography as an art form book first- Like Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure".

It's a great read and the information is timeless. The foundation explained in the book will help you understand how to see & think about light and exposure in a more organic way.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 11:55:43 AM »
I'd suggest reading a photography as an art form book first- Like Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure".

It's a great read and the information is timeless. The foundation explained in the book will help you understand how to see & think about light and exposure in a more organic way.

Thank you...I actually am quite well into that book already...and am learning a LOT of valuable information. Seeing the examples of what does what is a great help to me....

Thank you,

C

THX723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 01:53:25 PM »
Congrats with the fine acquisition.

I'm in the camp of "hey if a noob can afford it then more power to them".
Unlike an automotive purchase where a Ferrari 458 as the very first car would be unwise. The outcome in that case could be a certain death, due to inexperience. In photography, there's no harm or foul in starting out with the best instrument one can afford. At worst, you got yourself some unusable pictures. No worries. Hit delete, learn, and shoot again.

Av mode (aperture priority) will likely be your best friend to start. Acquaint yourself with what aperture priority means. Let the computer worry about iso, exposure, and shutter speed, all the while being aware of what those values were given. They will add to your understanding of how they affect each pictures until eventually you can start playing with those values too (e.g. Manual mode). Even then pros don't always shoot in manual mode too, so don't get caught up with the saying, "you're not a real man until you shoot manual". Rubbish! Having said that, there will be situations in which manual mode is the only way to take the optimal picture.

Most of all, remember to have fun!  :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:59:15 PM by THX723 »

facedodge

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »
Do you know of any reason to change phone numbers in the first payment plan? If so, could you explain it to me?

+1 on Av mode. It's where I live 99% of the time.

1)Take photos of everything, but be careful not to overdue it, because your significant other may start to get annoyed.
2)Try zooming in on a household item at 105mm and fill half the frame, then walk up to it at 24mm and do the same thing. You'll notice the difference focal lengths and perspective have.
3)Take shots from low angles, high angles, through holes in stuff. Shots you don't see from 5' 8" up are more interesting.
4)Add the rule of thirds grid to your viewfinder. Line up the horizon to the top or bottom third for landscape shots. Line up the top cross hairs on faces/eyes.
5)Don't use live view unless you need to. Learn to love the view finder. AF works much faster there.
6)Take the same shot at f/4, f/8, and f/16. Take notice of the differences.
7)Play with "negative space". If you take a shot of an person or animal, it's gennerally better to give them room towards the direction they are looking/facing.
8)Don't wory about having photos with no noise. Photos are much more about content than technical perfection.
9)Take note of your favorite focal length...(probably 50 or 85mm)... think about buying that prime lens.
10)write of list of ten things to remember.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 04:47:09 PM »

MichaelTheMaven

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 05:20:05 PM »
If you really want to save yourself a lot of time and trouble, I would definitely recommend the Canon 5Diii Crash Course Training Video: http://www.canontrainingvideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=41. As far as I know it is the one of the only training videos available for the 5Diii, and it will take you through everything from very basic stuff, to advanced topics, including video shooting. It should save you about 2-3 years if you were to try to learn everything on your own, especially as a new photographer.

Best wishes

M

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
congrats on a awesome buy.  Don't let the haters get you down by spending a boat load of money on your new toy, I am sure you work hard, so treat yourself from time to time.  "Understanding Exposure" is a great place to start, honestly I don't think there is anything else more you need to read in the next 3-4 years of your new hobby.  Read it, try to take one or two pieces of information with you on your shoot and try it out.  Then read it again, and go out shooting again, repeat, repeat, repeat.  Av mode is great for shooting from the hip, Tv mode great for sports or the kids.  If you're like me and like taking pics of the family then learn/experiment/play with manual mode especially in low light and within a few weeks you'll really understand how to make quick adjustments.  Other than that, have fun, oh and be certain to purchase a bunch of lenses you probably don't need, but you are sure you want, that's 99% of the fun :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »