April 24, 2014, 01:07:19 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Noob: What to check out on new camera?  (Read 4364 times)

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Noob: What to check out on new camera?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »
First off: Congrats on your new baby!

By the sounds of it you're quite similar to me in the way that I too do a LOT of research when it come to making these sort of purchases, and by the way you're responding to the comments on here and your general outlook on photography I'm sure you'll be getting to grips with things pretty swiftly.
Having said that, I do somehow feel you might be missing a really valuable learning experience here. And yes, this is only my personal opinion, but most photographers start out with really basic kit and then explore it until they have worked out the limitations for their needs. I'm not sure going with a full frame MkIII will give you this experience...
Anyways, now that you do have your new baby, my (again personal opinion folks) advice would be to deffo try all the settings, have a good ol play with everything, but if you're serious about learning photography: Full Manual is the way to learn things I feel. And if you're feeling really brave (or just as a learning/experimentation tool) stick some masking tape or a postit note on the LCD screen. I still do this myself - it does force one to really look and start judging light.

Other than that: Shoot, shoot, shoot and when you're done, go shoots some more. Consider this quote by a man who knew a little something about photography...:

'Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.'
-Henri Cartier-Bresson

Have fun & all the best.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

THX723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »
Having said that, I do somehow feel you might be missing a really valuable learning experience here. And yes, this is only my personal opinion, but most photographers start out with really basic kit and then explore it until they have worked out the limitations for their needs. I'm not sure going with a full frame MkIII will give you this experience...
The culture of such thinking fascinates me. I sincerely mean no offense with what's to follow. It is not meant to direct at you but a general point to all. So here goes ...

What is the experience lost here? and how would that reflect differently with a Rebel class versus, oh let's just say, top-of-the-line 1D class?

You see, at the end of the day, any camera is simply a camera. That is they take pictures exactly the same way -- through a lens, shutter, and eventually the film/sensor. The ritual of acquiring a photo is also consistent -- point/compose, focus/meter, then shoot away. Yes, the 1D sensor, its magical AF system, its elaborate menus and options make a joke out of the Rebel, yet the fundamentals remain the same. Ya still gotta learn how to compose a great photo. Ya still gotta learn how to focus and hold steady. Ya still gotta learn how to expose optimally. Until there's a major breakthrough in picture taking, there's no learning to wield the extra stops of dynamic range or the ISO sensitivity per se.

Intermission jokes:
"Careful you'll burn yourself if you use all 12 stops of DR!"
"You'll shoot your eye out if you turn up to 12fps too soon!"

Again I defer to my Ferrari analogy posted earlier.
Noob buys a 562hp Ferrari 458 as a 1st car. Ridiculous! The cost of inexperience is likely death. Too much power too little skills.
Noob buys a 1D as 1st camera. Wasteful perhaps. The cost of inexperience here is bad photos, which is just as likely with an inexpensive camera. No harm, no foul.

Respectfully,

THX723

CowGummy

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 08:54:16 PM »
THX723: You have a very valid point there, and I sincerely appreciate your views and response.
And honestly I'm not trying to stir with this comment, but by your account of 'a camera is still just a camera' and the whole idea of it's the same principles that apply whether you're shooting a 1D series body or a Rebel, although valid, to me can also be interpreted as 'you might as well as go for the cheapest option - they're all the same thing at the end of the day: a camera.' Now I know I'm twisting your words somewhat here, and maybe it's my background: I'm 32 next month, and have been shooting for almost 15 years now. I guess I'm young enough to be au-fait with all things digital and the relevant processing tools involved, ie: PS. But I'm also old enough to have been trained formally using a very basic (but awesome) Pentax K1000, and I still value my time with that camera and the subsequent processing/developing techniques required in the darkroom. This was time well spent learning the rules of photography and also how to break them.
Your car/ferrari analogy is spot on thought I think. But then again... What about other pursuits/hobbies? There is a reason that when people start out with something like snowboarding they are advised to get a decent allround beginner board: They won't be able to win downhill races bacause it's simply too slow and they're not going to win any ESPN events. But it will give them a base level understanding from which they can then decide what matters most to them and their style of riding: Speed, handeling, weight, ride position etc...

This is one of those debates that I feel both sides of the argument have valid points, so for me it comes down to 'what's right for some, ain't right for all'.

I hope you don't take this as a dig - it's genuinely not intended that way and I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

All the best,
Steve

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 09:50:12 PM »
Hmmm..I'm not so sure about putting the camera on P for the first 10k shots and everything on center focus - I beg to differ with Mt. Spokane.  That's what my neighbor did and is afraid to try anything else since he bought the camera years ago.  He spent $3k on a 20D, kit lens and flash a the time of release and shoots everything in P.  Of course this is all a matter of matter of opinion but you could have bought a G12 for that type of stuff.

Did I say use it in the "P" mode for 10K shots?  I beg to differ, I did NOT.  I suggested he put it on P and demonstrate to himself that the camera will take sharp images before he starts using other modes which require more experience.  Trying to use the other modes without first learning the basics can lead to frustration.  Someone who has never used a DSLR before needs to start from the basics.

BTW, the "P" mode is not the Green Box mode.

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »
I just got my 5DIII yesterday, and haven't had time to play with it much or read the manual (yet, though starting to tonight).  This camera has a lot of capability, loads of menu options, etc.  Nothing to be ashamed of by getting this as your first dslr.  It isn't my first and I am a bit intimidated, but look forward to learning it inside and out.

my advice to you (and I am nothing better than an avid amateur) is to learn the basics of all photography, at least conceptually.  Specifically, understand what manipulating aperture, shutter, iso, will do to the picture.  Learn how to get a proper exposure, compose, and get sharp focus.  Basically, what everyone has been saying.

After you get these concepts down, and do it quickly, get off P  or A+ mode (basically snapshot mode), and really work the creative zone modes.  Quickly start using manual at least some of the time so you get comfortable with it, rather than run scared of it.  Get the technical, and you can get the creative.

Good luck.

sek

Hmmm..I'm not so sure about putting the camera on P for the first 10k shots and everything on center focus - I beg to differ with Mt. Spokane.  That's what my neighbor did and is afraid to try anything else since he bought the camera years ago.  He spent $3k on a 20D, kit lens and flash a the time of release and shoots everything in P.  Of course this is all a matter of matter of opinion but you could have bought a G12 for that type of stuff.

Did I say use it in the "P" mode for 10K shots?  I beg to differ, I did NOT.  I suggested he put it on P and demonstrate to himself that the camera will take sharp images before he starts using other modes which require more experience.  Trying to use the other modes without first learning the basics can lead to frustration.  Someone who has never used a DSLR before needs to start from the basics.

BTW, the "P" mode is not the Green Box mode.
sek
Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, 50D Lenses:  24-70 208 II, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 01:44:25 AM »
Hmmm..I'm not so sure about putting the camera on P for the first 10k shots and everything on center focus - I beg to differ with Mt. Spokane.  That's what my neighbor did and is afraid to try anything else since he bought the camera years ago.  He spent $3k on a 20D, kit lens and flash a the time of release and shoots everything in P.  Of course this is all a matter of matter of opinion but you could have bought a G12 for that type of stuff.The camera has loads of features - I might suggest you explore the hell out of that camera and take note of what you've chosen and your results to revert back if need be or alter.  Then you can improve from there.  Overtime try, sample and play with most if not all settings - it's got the versatility of a one man band and will offer creativity for all.  Read a lot and check out some of the videos on B&H and usa.canon.com - that's where I got some great tips from Canon's experts such as Rudy when I first acquired the 7D.  He actually speaks of how to break away from recomposing from center focus which I have and how to use each of the AF groups & points within the camera and their unique purposes.  You can always reset back your settings to something more conventional or factory defaults if dissatisfied with any of your results.

Shooting in "P" mode, you can at least focus where you want to focus. I have a co-worker who spent over $5K last year on 5D II + 70-200 f2.8 II IS and he is still shooting GREEN mode.
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »
In response to the OP's original question, I would suggest checking a couple of things.  I had to return my 5D3 after just a couple of days because it had two faults:

Hot pixels:  Take a photo of something middle-grey in RAW format, then copy it to your computer and examine the whole image carefully for any bright red pixels.  In my case, no amount of auto sensor cleaning made any difference whatsoever to this fault.  It wasn't a single pixel either, but a cluster.

Autofocus:  For the purpose of this test, choose the centre focus point and set your aperture to its widest (f/4 on the kit lens).  In good lighting conditions, take a photo of something that has lines in it - something that you'll be able to easily see whether it's sharp or not.  Then check for focus (at the centre of the frame, since the outer parts of the frame will be slightly out of focus anyway) on your computer.  Some variation in lens calibrations is to be expected, but if, like me, you're having to set your 5D3's AF microadjustment to +20 to get things in focus, you probably have a problem.

After receiving my replacement 5D3, both of the above problems were eliminated - much to my relief!
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 02:59:21 PM »
In response to the OP's original question, I would suggest checking a couple of things.  I had to return my 5D3 after just a couple of days because it had two faults:

Hot pixels:  Take a photo of something middle-grey in RAW format, then copy it to your computer and examine the whole image carefully for any bright red pixels.  In my case, no amount of auto sensor cleaning made any difference whatsoever to this fault.  It wasn't a single pixel either, but a cluster.

Autofocus:  For the purpose of this test, choose the centre focus point and set your aperture to its widest (f/4 on the kit lens).  In good lighting conditions, take a photo of something that has lines in it - something that you'll be able to easily see whether it's sharp or not.  Then check for focus (at the centre of the frame, since the outer parts of the frame will be slightly out of focus anyway) on your computer.  Some variation in lens calibrations is to be expected, but if, like me, you're having to set your 5D3's AF microadjustment to +20 to get things in focus, you probably have a problem.

After receiving my replacement 5D3, both of the above problems were eliminated - much to my relief!

Thank you for the great advice!!

Just curious...what series number was your 5D3 replacement?  Mine is a "3".

C

smithy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »
Thank you for the great advice!!

Just curious...what series number was your 5D3 replacement?  Mine is a "3".

C
My faulty unit was a '3', and my new unit is also a '3'.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »