May 23, 2018, 10:55:02 PM

Author Topic: Mirrorless Vs Regular DSLR -- Your thoughts???  (Read 19180 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Mirrorless Vs Regular DSLR -- Your thoughts???
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »
Why do you want/prefer mirrorless camera over regular DSLR?

What are the Pros & Cons?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:01:16 AM by Dylan777 »

canon rumors FORUM

Mirrorless Vs Regular DSLR -- Your thoughts???
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:52:19 AM »

cornh

Re: Mirrorless Vs Regular DSLR -- Your thoughts???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:39:31 AM »
I own a Samsung NX200. Even though it is not as good as a more expensive DSLR with viewfinder you still get something quite powerful in a small package.

I find the small size very useful in documentary situations. Sometimes when you take out a big camera people get nervous but with a small mirrorless DSLR you just look like some random tourist with a compact camera.

I don't prefer mirrorless cameras over DSLR but I must say that it is really useful in many situations. With the NX 30/f2 pancake I can have the camera in my pocket, take it out quick and produce really good images.

ianmacd

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
One would be no movment to cause issues with an image being taken. For example on a telescope, having a moving mirror can introduce vibration that could blur the image.

Less noise so more desirable in noise sensative environments

No mirror assembly to wear out if you take loads of shots, for example in timelapse.

Probably hundreds more too.

HurtinMinorKey

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
Am I wrong for thinking that the only reason the mirror exists is so you can have an optical viewfinder?

ianmacd

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:57:19 AM »
And for faster focusing.

MK5GTI

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:50:53 PM »
it was for faster AF, but now the Olympus and Panasonic do have "faster" AF speed than majority of the DSLR.

i see that mirrorless is eating up the lower entry level DSLR, ie, 1000D/600D or even the 60D, but not the 7D yet.

and seeing FF from Nikon and Canon rumor being priced below $2000, i would say the future would be mirrorless for pocketability, entry level, non-professional use, then you look into DSLR for speed, specific fucntion and FF

moreorless

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 04:10:18 PM »
it was for faster AF, but now the Olympus and Panasonic do have "faster" AF speed than majority of the DSLR.

i see that mirrorless is eating up the lower entry level DSLR, ie, 1000D/600D or even the 60D, but not the 7D yet.

and seeing FF from Nikon and Canon rumor being priced below $2000, i would say the future would be mirrorless for pocketability, entry level, non-professional use, then you look into DSLR for speed, specific fucntion and FF

There are many ways AF can be measured though and locking on to a stationary object at high speed would be considered less important that tracting moving objects or low light performance by many.

Battery comsumption is also a fairly big issue with an OVF obviously needing far less than either a back screen or EVF.

My guess is that mirrorless is taking a little bite out of lower end DSLR sales but a much larger bite out of bridge compact sales. You look at the amazon sales charts for lenses and mirrorless barely registers dispite high body sales, that to me suggests less serious users happy to stick to the kit lens.

As you move towards more advanced lens designs then size becomes much more of an issue aswell I'd say, tele lenses, zooms with longer range or a large appature, macro's etc seem like there always likely to be large enough to make a truely compact mirrorless system impossible aswell as potentially very unbalanced. The natural market for the higher end mirrorless system to me seems to be one based on primes in the wide to short tele range ala Leica as Fuji seem to be atempting.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 02:34:10 AM by moreorless »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 04:10:18 PM »

drjlo

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:41 PM »
It's beyond me why a full frame mirrorless camera still does not exist.  Not only would it sell like hotcakes, but it would be SO COOL  8)

Ricku

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 05:37:27 PM »
The main thing I like about mirrorless cameras is the smaller size and that there is no mirrorslap.

The con is that the only affordable mirrorless with FF is the uber expensive Leica M9.

I am still waiting for Canon, Nikon or Sony to make a full frame mirrorless.  ;)

elflord

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 06:24:35 PM »
And for faster focusing.
No, you can do phase detect without the mirror (Nikon, Sony's A-mount adapter)

elflord

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
Why do you want/prefer mirrorless camera over regular DSLR?

What are the Pros & Cons?

Pros: smaller, can adapt just about any lens to it. Usable AF in video mode.
Cons: smaller sensor. Very limited lens lineups (with the exception of micro 4/3). Some models don't have great sensor performance even taking the reduced size into account.

I wouldn't use mirrorless as a replacement for DSLR, but I find it works very nicely as a compact camera.

wickidwombat

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
It's beyond me why a full frame mirrorless camera still does not exist.  Not only would it sell like hotcakes, but it would be SO COOL  8)

i really though canon had a perfect oportunity to resurect the aps-h sensor in this guise and come out of the mirrorless gate swinging it would have been an instant knockdown to all the aps-cones.
just poping out another aps-c mirrorless isnt really breaking any new ground.
they already have the tech no one else does aps-h, ball well and truely dropped IMO
but we shall see what they come up with who knows it might be quite good but it needs to be able to use EF lenses whatever it is.
APS-H Fanboy

pdirestajr

• EOS 5DS R
    • flickr
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »

Leica?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »

wickidwombat

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03:31 PM »

Leica?

i think the OP meant reasonably priced but  just didnt say it :D
APS-H Fanboy

Hillsilly

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »
Its not that I "want" a mirrorless camera over a DSLR.  But sometimes I want to take photos with a camera that is less obtrusive or intimidating.  A camera that's a bit lighter and more ergonmical to carry around would also be a bonus. 

About 12 months ago, I purchased an Olympus EPL-1 to fill this role.  Overall I am happy with it.  Although images are a bit noisy in low light, in good light it is great and the EVF works well (and has some benefits over an OVF).  This camera has made me a mirrorless convert and if Canon introduces something better (especially if it had a FF or APS-H sensor), I'll be all over it.

But like most things, there are trade-offs.  A mirrorless camera won't be your first choice for action photos and if you were only going to own one camera, a DSLR would be a more sensible choice.   But a DSLR is what everyone's mum owns.  I agree that a mirrorless camera would be way cooler....
Camera Obscura

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »