October 02, 2014, 11:40:39 AM

Author Topic: Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Specs [CR2.5]  (Read 42756 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D Specs [CR2.5]
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
My takeaway: Nothing in this announcement to indicate Canon is diverging from their traditional development path. Add a few bells and whistles to the newest Rebel model to be able to call it new and attract buyers who want the latest version. Save the major changes for the 7DII and then let selected improvements trickle down for another 2-3 years.

so out with the swivel LCD and in with the touch screen?...

Are the two incompatible? Why does touch screen mean no swivel LCD?

I'll be interested to see how the touch screen works. My biggest concern will be accidentally changing settings, but the click wheel navigation system is also prone to the same problem. After years of iPhones and tablets, I'm hoping the technology is mature enough to work intuitively on a camera. I wonder if they will let it trickle up to the 7DII and 5DIV.

Yay! No More Megapixels ;D

Sony is keeping a 16 mp sensor in their new Nex-F3 and A37. Perhaps both have determined that the marketing benefit of ever-higher megapixels has reached the point of diminishing returns.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
Are the two incompatible? Why does touch screen mean no swivel LCD?
My XA-10's at work are a swivel screen that is entirely touch screen, so not only are they compatible, Canon already has the technology for it in a consumer level package. I imagine their Vixia stuff has it too

Sony is keeping a 16 mp sensor in their new Nex-F3 and A37. Perhaps both have determined that the marketing benefit of ever-higher megapixels has reached the point of diminishing returns.
Probably, especially because at the pixel density, its the equivalent of a pretty high MP body on full-frame. They'd lose too much low-light ability if they went to 22, 24, etc, and wouldn't really be gaining much. It's probably only Sony's sensor tech that allows them to last at 24mp.

The autofocus is going to be 10 times more usable. sounds like a great camera and a perfect backup for a 7d.
And you know this how? Every SLR with "autofocus" that I've seen is a joke...manual focus is much better there. Heck, even the Sony SLT auto-focus isn't that great, and it has some major advantages in that regard over a DSLR.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »
Finally, a touchscreen.  Now, all those naysayers can rest easy.   ;)

Yep.  Let's hope it drops calls as well as the other cameras out there too.

I knew VZN was limiting their bandwidth for a reason!
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=9910"></g:plusone></div><div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin: 0 0px 0 10px;"><a name="fb_share" type="box_count" share_url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=9910" href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php">Share</a></div><div><script src="http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/connect.php/js/FB.Share" type="text/javascript"></script></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px; margin-bottom: 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=9910"></a></div>
<strong>The Next Rebel<br />

</strong>I received a good bit of info about the next Rebel. I put it at CR2.5 just until I receive a bit more confirmation.</p>
<p>An announcement is slated for June.</p>
<p><strong>Canon EOS Rebel 650D/T4i</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>18mp (no word on whether or not its a new or modified 18mp sensor)</li>
<li>9 AF Points, all cross-type</li>
<li>Touchscreen LCD</li>
<li>Continuous AF in LiveView & Video Recording</li>
<li>June Announcement</li>
</ul>
<p><em>thanks</em></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

No more manual focus on video???? I'm interested
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

gene_can_sing

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 01:57:50 PM »
Probably going to pick up a Rebel as a cheap video B-Cam to my soon-to-be Sony FS since I have too many canon lenses.

I just hope that the Rebel actually has true HD (not the soft up-res'd stuff). That and 1080p 60fps slow motion is all I ask for. But since the 5D3 doesn't have either of those, I'm not holding my breath.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »
No more manual focus on video???? I'm interested
Here's what you'll get

https://vimeo.com/23745431

Note that that is shot with probably f/11 or higher, so it doesn't even have much focus hunting to do. But, it still sounds awful and isn't that impressive. Take a shot with lower light and an aperture more like f/4, and its pretty unusable

https://vimeo.com/23943236

If Canon had solved those issues in some brilliant or ingenious way, they'd have put it in the 5dIII. That they are just leaving it to the T4i tells me all I need to know....it would have made pros angry since its not very good.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
Probably going to pick up a Rebel as a cheap video B-Cam to my soon-to-be Sony FS since I have too many canon lenses.

I just hope that the Rebel actually has true HD (not the soft up-res'd stuff). That and 1080p 60fps slow motion is all I ask for. But since the 5D3 doesn't have either of those, I'm not holding my breath.
Sounds like you want a hacked GH2. You'll get your resolution (comparable with your FS, etc), and you'll get 1080/60. Not to mention it will open up the ability to use FD lenses as well

edit: some examples, http://www.eoshd.com/content/6681/shootout-reveals-panasonic-gh2-resolution-at-canon-c300-level
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:03:52 PM by preppyak »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »
BUT WHAT IS THE DR GOING TO BE?  WHAT ABOUT THE NIKON (RUMORED) 24MP AND SONYS 24MP?  CANON IS FALLING BEHIND, THE WORLD IS GOING TO STOP SPINNING?!?!?!?! lol
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
This is exactly what I was hoping Canon would do.

I want them to keep the same the mp count at 18 whether it be the old sensor or the new one I don't really care. Pair that 18mp sensor with a Digic 5 to show off how much better the Digic 5 is compared to the 4.

I also wanted them to put the XXD AF system into the rebel bodies. If these rumors are true then they are going that route.

Hopefully that would also mean that they are restoring the XXD line back to its rightful place as a semi-pro body rather than a rebel on steroids. Put the 7D's AF system into the 70D. Basically merge the 7D and the 70D together into one body.

As for the 7D2, I'd rather they do away with that lineup entirely. Or make the 7D the new aps-H series to keep all the bird watchers and sports shooters who need that extra reach that the 1DX does not offer. A croppeed 1DX if you will. And put it at a price point that separates it enough from the 70D so buyers won't be kicking themselves if they buy one and not the other.
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

gene_can_sing

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 02:23:54 PM »

Sounds like you want a hacked GH2. You'll get your resolution (comparable with your FS, etc), and you'll get 1080/60. Not to mention it will open up the ability to use FD lenses as well

edit: some examples, http://www.eoshd.com/content/6681/shootout-reveals-panasonic-gh2-resolution-at-canon-c300-level

The GH2 would be cool, except I have too many Canon lenses. Plus, I'm not crazy about GH2 color and the 2x crop. Canon has much better Color science and aesthetic IMO, but that's entirely subjective.

tomsop

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »
I am interested in the T4i since I will be upgrading from the Rebel xsi (no video).  It sounds like the video AF feature is presumed to be lacking because if it worked so well why isn't it included in the $2000 more expensive Mark 5d3.  Also Nikon's complement to the t4i has AF video but no one is raving on about it. 

Is shooting video with manual AF a big headache?  What about taking video of kids?   

What happened to the rumors about wireless uploading of photos?  The Nikon has a dongle you attach for wireless transfer. 

If you were in the same upgrade path and the camera is just for family and personal use - would you go for the t4i or wait for something better coming out soon?

Finalist

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 02:32:57 PM »
If the t4i is announced in June, how long will it take for the body to become available in stores in the US?

(The reason of my question is: I am starting a long roadtrip at the 11th of June and badly need a new DSLR -- if Canon is so unbelievably slow to release its new models I am considering buying a Nikon instead)

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »
The GH2 would be cool, except I have too many Canon lenses. Plus, I'm not crazy about GH2 color and the 2x crop. Canon has much better Color science and aesthetic IMO, but that's entirely subjective.
Yeah, I hear you about the color. I shoot the stuff I can on my 60D, and when I need slow-motion or autofocus, I use my TM700. The color definitely isn't as nice (kind of blue/grey).

I kind of want one anyway though, because the resolution is so crazy good...I feel like I'd be willing to take my chances in post with cleaning up the color some just to get that resolution

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 02:39:09 PM »
If the t4i is announced in June, how long will it take for the body to become available in stores in the US?
I'd doubt you would have one in your hands by June 11th, unless they announced it June 1st or sooner. With the rebel line, they are usually available within the month of its announcement (unlike say, the 1DX), but, Canon's production may be slow enough that that is not true this time. They might also have held off the announcement until they had enough stock to meet initial demand.

Christian_Stella

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Out of Date Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »
Finally!  Now we can play Angry Birds on our camera. But no 1 megapixel camera on the back so I can take pictures of my face as I take pictures?  I need to video conference with my client as I shoot their photos and I need them to see my cheek accidentally changing the ISO on the touchscreen as it happens, so that they know why the photos didn't come out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 02:46:16 PM »