December 19, 2014, 06:44:11 PM

Author Topic: Best way to get your images off the 5D onto your computer?  (Read 4860 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Hello all,

I'm anticipating the arrival of my 5D Mark III today.
I've gathered both SD and CF cards for my camera. How do most of you get your images off the camera and onto the computer?

Do you plug the camera into the computer?
Do you buy a card reader for the computer? If so, what's the best thing to look for? Any recommendations?

Oh...wondering, do  you need to somehow format the CF and SD cards prior to putting them into the camera for the first time use? Can you put them into the camera and format them? (I'm still reading through the manual in sequence...but thought I'd heard someone say you could do this.).

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to get your images off the 5D onto your computer?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:22:59 PM »
I use a card reader.  Format the card(s) in the camera, not on your computer.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 01:39:00 PM »
I'd recommend a good fast card reader.  As long as you are buying one, a USB3 reader might be more future proof.

Format new cards in the Camera. 

If you have a problem with a CF card, do a erase (Low level format not quick) in a computer, and then format in the camera.  If its a SD card, do the low level format in camera to clear any bad sectors.

Iahcon

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:11:26 PM »
Get yourself a UDMA card and a UDMA card reader, and then watch your card load to your computer faster than you can imagine! I will never go back to anything less. Shop around, cheap prices are out there. The UDMA card reader even down loads my non-UDMA cards faster than before. i swear!!
5D II | 1D II | 17-40L | 24-70L | 70-200 2.8 IS | 100-400L | 85 1.8 | nifty fifty | 580 EX II | 580 EX | PW TT5 x 2 | PW TT1

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:59:23 PM »
If you have USB 3.0, make sure you get a good, fast USB 3.0 card reader. Much, much faster than USB 2.0.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

digiitch

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:01:40 PM »
I have a laptop with an ExpressCard/54 slot, and use one of these: http://reviews.cnet.com/flash-memory-adapters/siig-expresscard-54-cf/1707-8898_7-32816568.html

I get a consistent 80 MB/sec transfer rate (as measured by HD Tune)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »
Get yourself a UDMA card and a UDMA card reader, and then watch your card load to your computer faster than you can imagine! I will never go back to anything less. Shop around, cheap prices are out there. The UDMA card reader even down loads my non-UDMA cards faster than before. i swear!!

I got the sandisk extreme  sd card: SDHC 45 MB/s 32 GB
and for CF sandisk extreme 60MB/s 32GB card.....

Will those work ok?

C

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:28:30 PM »

DB

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
When I was shooting 9-10 hours of interviews in a hotel conference room recently using 2 x Canon DSLR's I was worried about transferring the files to my laptop expeditiously so went to an electronics store and bought this:

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=459465

It was less than 30 euros and paid for itself in 1 day. Managed to dump 184 gigabytes of HD video across from SDXC and CF cards quite quickly (using just a USB 2.0 interface). Shooting just stills (even RAW) should be a lot easier.

Remember data transfer speed is not as important as having multiple memory cards.

dawgfanjeff

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Site:
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 08:06:20 PM »
I bought the Lexar one.  Love it.   USB3 all the way. 
5DIII, | 100 2.8 Macro | 24-105L | 16-35 f/4L
70-200 f/4L IS | 50 1.4 | 10-22 (for sale!)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 12:29:32 AM »

Will those work ok?

They worked fine on my 5D MK III.  They even work well on my D800, and its writing a lot more data per image.  The super fast cards can clear the buffer faster if you are taking a high FPS frame rate, but for normal usage they are more than needed.

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:24:05 AM »

Will those work ok?

They worked fine on my 5D MK III.  They even work well on my D800, and its writing a lot more data per image. 

Only the same as a 7D and less than the 1D4 ;) ;) ;)

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »
READ THE MANUAL!
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »

Will those work ok?

They worked fine on my 5D MK III.  They even work well on my D800, and its writing a lot more data per image. 

My 7D does not write a average of 52 mb per image, not does my 1D MK IV, so my original statement of data per image is, I believe, correct.  I have been comparing the D800 to my 1D MK IV, I want to find out exactly which things are better, or worse. So far, memory cards that are reasonably fast are not a issue for single frame or a short burst.  Once the buffer is full, then a super fast card make a significant difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »

nesarajah

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:28:41 PM »
I use a card reader.  Format the card(s) in the camera, not on your computer.

+1 for succinctness

briansquibb

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 12:51:51 PM »

Will those work ok?

My 7D does not write a average of 52 mb per image, not does my 1D MK IV, so my original statement of data per image is, I believe, correct.  I have been comparing the D800 to my 1D MK IV, I want to find out exactly which things are better, or worse. So far, memory cards that are reasonably fast are not a issue for single frame or a short burst.  Once the buffer is full, then a super fast card make a significant difference.

They just produce twice the number of images to give the same data transfer requirements

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 12:51:51 PM »