July 22, 2014, 10:23:56 PM

Author Topic: Getting a bit restless at the lack of 1DX rumors  (Read 3985 times)

chabotc

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Google+
Getting a bit restless at the lack of 1DX rumors
« on: May 17, 2012, 02:46:20 PM »
So the last official statement on the Canon 1D-X availability was mid June, and since then there hasn't been any updates, either official or even rumored .. Keith Cooper did mention he got a few indications it might be slipping into July but other then that it's been quiet.

With the announced launch date aprox 4 weeks away I was hoping there'd be at least some signals towards that, but the eerie silence is making me uncomfortable - I've got some projects this summer that I would love to use it for and so far my hopes of it being available in time have been raised and crushed time after time .. it's starting to feel way to much like an abusive relationship over here!

So while I know that there's no news to share at the moment .. any projections or past experiences that can satisfy my craving to hear at least something? :)
Canon 5D Mark III and a big bag of primes

canon rumors FORUM

Getting a bit restless at the lack of 1DX rumors
« on: May 17, 2012, 02:46:20 PM »

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
Re: Getting a bit restless at the lack of 1DX rumors
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:55:23 PM »
It looks like Canon was desperately trying to make it for Euro 2012. But they 100% need to make if for the Olympics (July 27th), or they run the risk of an uber-fail. That probably means that they are going to stick to the current deadline, and definitely no later than the first week in July. 

Otherwise their supply chain guys are going to start stabling themselves in the gut.

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:04:33 PM »
So the last official statement on the Canon 1D-X availability was mid June, and since then there hasn't been any updates, either official or even rumored .. Keith Cooper did mention he got a few indications it might be slipping into July but other then that it's been quiet.

With the announced launch date aprox 4 weeks away I was hoping there'd be at least some signals towards that, but the eerie silence is making me uncomfortable - I've got some projects this summer that I would love to use it for and so far my hopes of it being available in time have been raised and crushed time after time .. it's starting to feel way to much like an abusive relationship over here!

So while I know that there's no news to share at the moment .. any projections or past experiences that can satisfy my craving to hear at least something? :)

Not that it's authoritative, but... see p. 3 of the topic in this forum called "1DX to ship next month."  http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6008.30  "Zouk" claims to have spoken with a vendor who expects to be getting shipment in around the first of the month.  No supporting details or specifics, but perhaps reason to hope that things are on track. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 06:02:00 PM »
I really doubt that Canon will issue a day by Day or even Week by Week status to the public.  I'm sure they have a internal daily status review though, we just are not privy to them. 

I've been thru that, Early AM standup meetings that all managers must attend while they go thru 2 hours of status on every late part, and thats before normal work hours begin. 

I'm glad I retired.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »
Every month B&H emails me to tell me that my 1D X is still backordered. I assume that's all the 'update' I'm going to get until they actually start shipping.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

riogrande100

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:53:03 PM »
They probably removing the extra OPLF filter that has caused video uproar on the 5DIII, a sharper video mode on the 1DX will position the 1DX over the D4! so at least at the highest pro camera they can offer better pic, more megapixel and better video than Nikon!

kaz

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Yes, it's very frustrating...
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46:33 PM »
Yeah...what's up with Canon these days? In the past two years, I believe the only serious lens or body they've put out on time is the 5D III, and that was clearly announced when they were ready.

All the new L lenses (especially those super teles) have been delayed before release, and it's getting ridiculous. Nikon and Sony were hit harder by the catastrophes so I don't know what Canon's excuse is.

Realistically, people like us will just have to wait until the bodies get around to the pro photojournalists first (and those at the Olympics), which is what it sounds like happens before every one of these 1-series releases. Fortunately that seems to be what's actually happening when I look at the forums in Japan.

I hope they're fulfilling those needs as planned, and that the June 19 release was indeed meant for regular folks like us. Another delay would really annoy their already frustrated user base. It's just sad when a camera already feels like it's a year old when it arrives.

canon rumors FORUM

Yes, it's very frustrating...
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46:33 PM »

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Yes, it's very frustrating...
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 07:18:02 AM »
"Realistically, people like us will just have to wait until the bodies get around to the pro photojournalists first (and those at the Olympics), which is what it sounds like happens before every one of these 1-series releases. Fortunately that seems to be what's actually happening when I look at the forums in Japan."

What, specifically, are you reading on the Japanese forums?  Are pros reporting that they have actually received cameras?  If not, to what are you referring?

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 08:11:57 AM »
Better hope that it’s not been field tested by the same guys that did the 5D3 ;)

ianmacd

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 09:10:28 AM »
Better hope that it’s not been field tested by the same guys that did the 5D3 ;)

I was told by one pro dealer that getty photographers were getting them already too.

kaz

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
@JaxPhotoBuff

It's not the pros doing the reporting (the people who have tried them outside of tradeshows or Canon events have been quite mum about it all). I'm hoping it's just because they're pros and are too busy doing their work than talking about it.

What I see in the forums are nonpros mentioning that they've seen pros at events using 1D X bodies, and some with the newer lenses. I've also heard that they're hearing from people that that bodies have been going out to some pros in preparation for the Olympics and stuff.

I just hope this all means that we'll start getting them in June as Canon had last announced. The wait has been painful...as it has also been for the new lenses!!!

hhelmbold

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
I have heard directly from Canon that the reason the 1DX was delayed is because of the light leak issue on the 5DIII. The leak was discovered beginning April and not made public yet. The 1DX production had to be stopped so the 5DIII's could be recalled and fixed. The 5DIII issue should be back on track - so I am pretty sure we'll see the shipping of 1DXs in June and maybe if we all cross our fingers on the 29th of May  :D

JaxPhotoBuff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
@kaz

Thanks for the clarification.  Take a look at the recent thread in this forum called "Sneek Peek: 1DX."  It was started by a pro in the U.S. who talked his way into borrowing a 1DX from the Canon tent (or something) at The Players golf tournament here in Jacksonville, Florida.  He has a review of the camera, as well as photos taken during his day at The Players. It's worth a read/look.

He affirmed that the "party line" from Canon is still a mid-June launch. 

I mention this becuase: a) the fact that someone may have seen him shooting the 1D X at the tournament did not (in this case anyway) mean that a camera had been delivered to him following a purchase. In fact, he affirms he was shooting a pre-production body; and 2) despite that, mid-June still seems to be the expectation.

I sincerely hope that some pros are starting to get their 1D X bodies for the Olympics (and for any other reason for that matter) becuase it means the production line is churning out useable product.  I just haven't seen any first-hand reports/posts by people here in the U.S. confirming that yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »

yairhaim

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 11:38:40 PM »
I love Canon products but all that going on with the 1D-X is getting ridiculous. I ordered the camera on March 14!!!! more then two months ago and I start to hear rumors that it will be available around July. I hope mid June will be the date because my season already started!!! http://www.yairhaim.com

Greatland

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »
What happened to the post a couple of days ago on here where someone said that they had gotten their hands on the 1Dx and was sharing some of his findings?  It just disappeared when I went back to look at it and to get into the link that the poster provided....was that as big a hoax as are all of the rumors of the camera's availability starting in February....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »