July 28, 2014, 10:38:30 PM

Author Topic: Suggestions on new Canon DSLR -- thinking 60D  (Read 10511 times)

DB

Re: Suggestions on new Canon DSLR -- thinking 60D
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »
Like many others here, I was in a similar situation to you, bought a Rebel T2i with a kit lens, but did not learn much until I bought a 'nifty-fifty' 50mm f1.4 fast prime (which is a good walk around lens on a 1.6 crop). Trust me forget the plastic EF-S lenses, once you start acquiring fast primes or 'L' glass you'll chuck 'em in a drawer and never use them again. My 50mm lens cost a little more than half what my T2i cost. Quick rule of thumb: 50% of budget for body + 50% for your first lens (thereafter you'll spend a lot more than your camera cost on individual lenses...some day!).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2012, 07:53:18 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
Trust me forget the plastic EF-S lenses, once you start acquiring fast primes or 'L' glass you'll chuck 'em in a drawer and never use them again.

Some will inevitably disagree, but I found this to be the truth. If I were you, I'd start with the 60D 18-135 or 18-200 kit. These lenses are just OK, but they'll allow you to find out what focal lengths you use the most and be able to make a much more sound decision when looking for upgrades in the future. I stick to fixed aperture lenses, but they are quite a bit more expensive. If and when you start acquiring L glass, your "all in one" kit lens will start to collect more dust. Just like anything else, I've found it's much more cheaper in the long run to get what you want in the first place rather than trying to save a few bucks with a cheaper purchase.

briansquibb

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 01:51:27 AM »
Trust me forget the plastic EF-S lenses, once you start acquiring fast primes or 'L' glass you'll chuck 'em in a drawer and never use them again.

Some will inevitably disagree, but I found this to be the truth. If I were you, I'd start with the 60D 18-135 or 18-200 kit. These lenses are just OK, but they'll allow you to find out what focal lengths you use the most and be able to make a much more sound decision when looking for upgrades in the future. I stick to fixed aperture lenses, but they are quite a bit more expensive. If and when you start acquiring L glass, your "all in one" kit lens will start to collect more dust. Just like anything else, I've found it's much more cheaper in the long run to get what you want in the first place rather than trying to save a few bucks with a cheaper purchase.

The best start lens are the 18-55 and 55-250 as they are very cheap and decent enough to use for a year or so. Once you start delivering good pictures with these is the time to think about upgrading.

D_Rochat

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 02:02:38 AM »

The best start lens are the 18-55 and 55-250 as they are very cheap and decent enough to use for a year or so. Once you start delivering good pictures with these is the time to think about upgrading.

I just looked up the cost of an 18-55 and 55-250 by themselves and I retract my statement. I'd go with what squibby said. It's not much more to buy body only plus those two lenses. A local retailer may even bundle them at a reduced rate for you.

!Xabbu

« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2012, 02:54:58 AM »

I really have to disagree here - I got the 450D with the 18-55mm kit lens and IQ was abysmal. I know that this lens has been upgraded, but it seems to me like cheap lenses just don't do it. Why get a DSLR and then put a super cheap piece of glass in front of it? I'd rather suggest to go with the Tamron 17-50 non-IS or - even better - with the EF-S 17-55mm. I only used the kit lens for about 2 months and never touched it since - so, overall it was quite a waste of money (not a lot of money, but still a waste).

briansquibb

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2012, 03:09:19 AM »

I really have to disagree here - I got the 450D with the 18-55mm kit lens and IQ was abysmal. I know that this lens has been upgraded, but it seems to me like cheap lenses just don't do it. Why get a DSLR and then put a super cheap piece of glass in front of it? I'd rather suggest to go with the Tamron 17-50 non-IS or - even better - with the EF-S 17-55mm. I only used the kit lens for about 2 months and never touched it since - so, overall it was quite a waste of money (not a lot of money, but still a waste).

The reviews on the 16-55 are very good, and from experience the reviews are correct - IQ is very reasonable when taking pictures stopped down to f/5.6

Carrying your argument forward why not put a 24-70 II on the 60D rather than 'cheap' ef-s lens like the 17-55?

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 04:09:07 AM »
My personal experience is, that the 60D was my favorite, when I was waiting for the 5D MKIII (which is a little bit too expensive for me by now).
In my family, three Persons own an 60D and one an 600D.
It´s image quality ist quite good, if you use EF-S lenses or lenses that are designed for Crop Cameras. My older lenses (all "L") as the 17-35mmL 2.8 are suffering from chromatic aberation and being not as sharp as the lenses that are designed for crop Cameras.
The two lenses that you want to buy are ok. In my opinion good shots are more depending on the knowledge od the photographer than on technique.
The AF is working well, but if the AF has to be very fast, there is an big difference to the AF of the 7D. But the 7D costed twice the price of the 60D.

The "minus" of the 60D is the quality range of the picture sensor. My 60D had  quite big noise if the ISO was higher than 400. After changing the Sensor (red stripes in the picture), the image quality is much better. The 60D of my son is not very sharp, but has superior colors...

Forget the live view mode if the object is moving. It is working much to slow.

The 600D has an much better image quality. Think of buying the 650D. It is worth waiting. The 600D of my daughter has an superior image quality to my camera. In landscape, portrait and macro fotography the pics are very sharp and detailed. The AF is a little bit slower than that one my 60D has.

Overall: The 60D is (for its price) a very good camera. Think of the 650D, maybe its an good alternative
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 04:12:13 AM by xps »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2012, 04:09:07 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 04:32:55 AM »

Overall: The 60D is (for its price) a very good camera. Think of the 650D, maybe its an good alternative

Where can I buy a 650D?

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2012, 08:29:15 AM »
I really have to disagree here - I got the 450D with the 18-55mm kit lens and IQ was abysmal. I know that this lens has been upgraded, but it seems to me like cheap lenses just don't do it.

Take a look at the photozone reviews. The upgraded lens is substantially better. I agree with your comments though that it doesn't make much sense to spend close to $1000 on a camera body, then get a $100 kit lens. I started out with a Rebel and spent about twice the cost of the body on glass.

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 08:49:50 AM »
The reviews on the 16-55 are very good, and from experience the reviews are correct - IQ is very reasonable when taking pictures stopped down to f/5.6

Carrying your argument forward why not put a 24-70 II on the 60D rather than 'cheap' ef-s lens like the 17-55?

For any fixed budget, there is an optimal way to allocate it, which lies somewhere between spending $0 on the body and spending it all on the body.

Now what works best will vary (depends on the person and what they're photographing), but when a beginner wants to spend four times as much on the body as they do on glass, it's usually because they don't understand how little difference the body makes and how much difference the glass makes --  and usually, they would end up with a better kit by trying to find a way to spend less on the body (or finding some more dough for decent glass).  Because of the relative rates of depreciation, it's much easier to pick up a bargain basement body than glass.

briansquibb

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2012, 09:06:03 AM »
Personally I would go for the 24-105

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 09:20:23 AM »

As for lenses, I've been looking at the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS & the 55-250mm f/4-5.6.  My reasoning is that  at this point, I want to limit the number of lenses to choose from while out but still have flexibility for multiple shots.  I know that there are better options, particularly when looking at fixed focal length lenses, but I don't think that I want to go down that route just yet.

I don't think you have mentioned a budget and there is a whole lot of overlap in those lens choices.

I also don't know what you are getting in a 60D that is better or more useful for your uses than the T3i.

A EF-S 17-55 f 2.8 is about the same money as the two lenses listed plus a bit (or, sub the T3i).

There really is a big difference between f4 and f2.8. It could mean the difference between using flash or not.

The 24-105 f4 also gets good comments.

I suggest having something lower than 24mm on a crop body. I happen to like the 16-35 II, but if you have no plans or need to go to a FF camera, then I'd suggest the 17-55 f 2.8.

You should also budget for a separate flash.
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 05:30:12 AM »
For your price range, I'd suggest the Nikon d7000 over the 60d

Choosing Nikon or Canon is a tough decision, and the d7000 has the better specs. But it is more expensive, too, I like Canon usability better and Nikon doesn't run magic lantern - that's why I got Canon when I had to decide 1.5 years ago.

The 60D is a great camera coming from P&S cameras, but the T4i is going to be a super shooter if they put DigicV in it.

Omg - an upgraded cpu won't fix your sensor but maybe noise-reduction in jpeg, and the t4i most probably won't have a new one.  I have a 60d and wouldn't want to get a xxxd because the ergonomics of the 60d are much better (back dial, top lcd display, buttons). When you're advancing in photography, better usability becomes more and more important.

I would seriously consider the 15-85 over the 18-135 for IQ reasons.  Also the 15-85 is a bit wider making it 24mm (FF equivalent) which is great for landscapes and the build quality is better.  Both have the same variable apertures so that is a wash.

+1 ... cropping from a shorter good lens is better than having blurred pictures at longer range.

Second, hold off on the 55-250 until you have had time to learn your camera and body.  Chances are very likely that you will want a higher IQ lens than the 55-250 and you may discover that you might want a different focal length.

+1 ... face it, a usable tele lens will cost you, or you'd better crop from a shorter one (see above).

There really is a big difference between f4 and f2.8. It could mean the difference between using flash or not.

Imho f2.8 is overrated, it's not that large a difference, for "shoot in the dark" look at f1.4 and the like. The good thing about f2.8 is that the af works better in low light, but a larger aperture is meant for shallower depth of field (and even f4 is quite shallow) and cannot fix up a sensor's noise problems nor replace flash.

You should also budget for a separate flash.

Yep, but for starting off the built-in flash is surprisingly ok because the 60d has x-sync up to 1/250s.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 05:30:12 AM »

Pix8ion

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
Hi all!  I've been quiet on the forum for a while and took the recommendations to wait it out and see what new options Canon would put out.  To be honest, I'm impressed by both the new T4i and EOS-M cameras (but disappointed in some missing features as well). 

As a result, I decided to pull the trigger and picked up a T4i (verified that it was not part of the recall) with the 18-135mm STM and a 40mm STM lens.  I haven't been able to take any significant number of pictures and/or put the camera through it's paces yet as work has been taking up way too much time, but I've been happy with the camera and lenses thus far.

Now, here's my dilemma....as is usually the case....I'm on the brink of buyer's remorse as I read about the Nikon D3200 camera (yet again) -- mainly due to the 24MP sensor.  I've begun to appreciate the articulating screen and "pinch to zoom" feature (which really is helpful for quick reviews of pics) on the T4i, but just wondering if the 18MP sensor on the T4i will give solid IQ compared to the D3200. 

Can anyone help pull me away from the edge, so to speak, and alleviate my concerns??  I just don't want to be worrying that I should've gone over to Nikon.

Thanks all!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
Can anyone help pull me away from the edge, so to speak, and alleviate my concerns??  I just don't want to be worrying that I should've gone over to Nikon.

That's what CR is for :-) ... deep down inside, you know you don't want a Nikon, do you :-) ?

No, really: 18mp is plenty as long as you don't want to crop heavily. The $7000 1dx "only" has 18mp, too, you know? You should worry more about the dynamic range and esp. iso (i.e. noise) limitations of Canon's aps-c sensor - imho iso800 is the max. really usable value. And what's 24mp good for if your lens' sharpness cannot keep up?

It is certainly correct that Nikon has the sensor edge right now, but 650d as well as d3200 will be outdated, too in no time . It doesn't really matter what your current dslr is, you will have a steep learning curve now and will think in a couple of years that the shots you're taking now are/were complete crap. So why spam your hd with 24mp :-)?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »